Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best J seats on 787

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Best J seats on 787

Is there any consensus on what are the best seats on JL 787? I got two long-haul trips next year (HEL-NRT and NRT-MEL) and they are both on the 787, I can see row 1 and 7 is available, are the bulkhead seats worthwhile or better stick with the non-bulkhead seats for a couple?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
There are several configurations of the 787. From domestic 787 to international 787-8 and 787-9.
For International, we have JAL SKY SUITE (lie-flat, staggered 2-2-2) and JAL SHELL FLAT NEO (recliner). You will likely get the JAL SKY SUITE on those routes if on a 787-8.
If on a 787-9, we have JAL SKY SUITE (lie-flat, staggered 2-2-3) and JAL SKY SUITE III (reverse herringbone 1-2-1) . You can get either.

Can you confirm if you are on a staggered version or reverse herringbone?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
There are several configurations of the 787. From domestic 787 to international 787-8 and 787-9.
For International, we have JAL SKY SUITE (lie-flat, staggered 2-2-2) and JAL SHELL FLAT NEO (recliner). You will likely get the JAL SKY SUITE on those routes if on a 787-8.
If on a 787-9, we have JAL SKY SUITE (lie-flat, staggered 2-2-3) and JAL SKY SUITE III (reverse herringbone 1-2-1) . You can get either.

Can you confirm if you are on a staggered version or reverse herringbone?
There are no domestic configuration 787s in the JAL fleet, and no 787-9 with 2-2-3 configuration in business.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/5931/seatmap/seatmap.html

Currently NRT-HEL is a 787-9 with Sky Suite II, and NRT-MEL is a 787-8 with Sky Suite I. Always subject to change of course. Highly unlikely you'll get the older 787-8 with the non-lie-flat seat though.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
HEL and MEL are both currently operated with the Apex suites. I would recommend any window seat as they are very private, but there are not really any bad seats. Unless you have a thing about being far from the galley or the lavatory...

Sorry missed the couple part. You would probably want the middle section, as the seats are not offset, making conversation easier.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
HEL and MEL are both currently operated with the Apex suites. I would recommend any window seat as they are very private, but there are not really any bad seats. Unless you have a thing about being far from the galley or the lavatory...

Sorry missed the couple part. You would probably want the middle section, as the seats are not offset, making conversation easier.
There are some not so desirable window seats too, like those with a missing window But then I would keep an eye on baby on seat map to avoid neighbor with infant
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, so the row doesn't matter? Do the food service start at the front or back?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by glasszon
Thanks all, so the row doesn't matter? Do the food service start at the front or back?
Front to back basically.
glasszon likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Front to back basically.
Thanks, row 2 it is then
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:18 am

Good resource for knowing which routes have the Sky Suites...

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servi.../skysuite.html
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
On a 789 with the SkySuite II for the daylight NRT-HEL flight, are there any significant advantages or drawbacks to 1H/1K versus 8A/8C or 9A/9C ?

Thanks,
Bill
Old May 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just flew a 789 BOS-NRT configured with Sky Suite (staggered 2-2-2). Most advice I saw was to choose a window, which was a good move. I ended up in 1K and was not particularly happy with the amount of noise from the galley adjacent; there was enough throughout the flight that it made it hard to sleep. I'd recommend 2A/K or 3A/K, or further back in the second cabin at least 1 row from the second galley. The second galley (behind row 4) was much quieter than the front one because they didn't use it for food prep so it was basically just traffic from people going to the bathroom.

Separately I was surprised that there is literally no storage for anything with these seats. If you have something small (iPad or Kindle, for example) your choice is to either hold it during take off/landing or put it in the overhead bins. Most other business seats I've flown (most recently CX and BA) have a drawer or some other small storage compartment.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
Separately I was surprised that there is literally no storage for anything with these seats. If you have something small (iPad or Kindle, for example) your choice is to either hold it during take off/landing or put it in the overhead bins. Most other business seats I've flown (most recently CX and BA) have a drawer or some other small storage compartment.
There is actually storage behind you that you can put stuff in but yeah, you can't use it for takeoff and landing.

I'm always torn between the aisle and window for the sky suites because of the storage issue. The privacy on the window side is great so I just have my bag with me under the foot rest for the storage, but the aisle seat isn't bad either.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Comet21
There is actually storage behind you that you can put stuff in but yeah, you can't use it for takeoff and landing.

I'm always torn between the aisle and window for the sky suites because of the storage issue. The privacy on the window side is great so I just have my bag with me under the foot rest for the storage, but the aisle seat isn't bad either.
I didn't see the storage behind the seat -- will look for it on my return trip in about a week. Thanks for the tip.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I didn't see the storage behind the seat -- will look for it on my return trip in about a week. Thanks for the tip.
As far as I know there is only storage behind the seat on the 77W middle seat.

You can put a tablet in the magazine rack.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:00 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
As far as I know there is only storage behind the seat on the 77W middle seat.

You can put a tablet in the magazine rack.
they are avaiable at the window seats as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.