Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

What version of 787-8 normally operates JL99 HND-TSA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

I have a reservation for JL99 HND-TSA in June. The flight description on the reservation says the J seat is Shell Neo which is the angled domestic JL787 product but the seat selection map is showing international JL787 layout which has Sky Suite lie flat seat. Does anyone know what kind of equipment typically operates on this route?

My return flight on JL98 TSA-HND the following week is on 787-9 which has Sky Suite.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bzcat
I have a reservation for JL99 HND-TSA in June. The flight description on the reservation says the J seat is Shell Neo which is the angled domestic JL787 product but the seat selection map is showing international JL787 layout which has Sky Suite lie flat seat. Does anyone know what kind of equipment typically operates on this route?

My return flight on JL98 TSA-HND the following week is on 787-9 which has Sky Suite.
Shell flat NEO is not domestic.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

These are the NEO seats.

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/inter/se...llflatneo.html

https://www.aerolopa.com/jl-788-e03
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so they are not the domestic recliner... I have not flown on these NEO seats so how do they compare with the Sky Suite seats on 787? Looks like it is not lie flat but I think I will survive the 3 hour flight.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Ok, so they are not the domestic recliner... I have not flown on these NEO seats so how do they compare with the Sky Suite seats on 787? Looks like it is not lie flat but I think I will survive the 3 hour flight.
For a day flight they are perfectly fine, they are quite wide and roomy. For overnight flights they are showing the age of the design.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For a day flight they are perfectly fine, they are quite wide and roomy. For overnight flights they are showing the age of the design.
Thanks... I likely won't be sleeping on this flight but still surprised these are used at all for international routes. Good to know they are roomy at least.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks... I likely won't be sleeping on this flight but still surprised these are used at all for international routes. Good to know they are roomy at least.
I am not sure why it is a surprise to see the NEO seat on an international flight. I'd be more surprised to see it as a domestic option as it is not particularly space efficient.

The US3 send their domestic F recliners on pretty long international flights, Emirates have 2-3-2 angled flat on all their 777-300ER, lots of airlines have seats that are not quite the golden standard.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
Why does anyone need a flat bed for a 2-3 hour flight!?!
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GordonMacPherson
Why does anyone need a flat bed for a 2-3 hour flight!?!
They don't really, but not having it makes people want it. For a short day flight, I'd be more happy in the NEO seat than the Skysuite III.
musashino22 and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Seat envy

Actually I was just confused by which version I'm looking at because Seatguru page is wrong... this topic is actually being discussed in another similar thread now.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat envy

Actually I was just confused by which version I'm looking at because Seatguru page is wrong... this topic is actually being discussed in another similar thread now.
There is a simple fix... Stop looking at SeatGuru for the seats on a specific flight. It is just not reliable. Use a free account on Expertflyer if your airline is not simple to get to show it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.