Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Will baggage be checked through to final destination when transit in NRT overnight

Will baggage be checked through to final destination when transit in NRT overnight

Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Folks, sorry if this question was asked before.

I will be travelling JL from SYD to TPE via NRT.

JL772 arrives NRT at 17:00
JL805 depart NRT at 11:15 the following day.

Will I get two boarding passes in SYD and the baggage be checked through to TPE?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:36 am

Are you booked into one single PNR? If yes then you should be able to get your onward boarding pass as well

For your baggage, seems like you would need to collect it and recheck it again the next day
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
One important thing to note, as the Narita is not a 24 hour airport you will need to leave airside and spend the night in Japan. You can't avoid doing immigration. Not sure about the flow of the luggage.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALlover
Are you booked into one single PNR? If yes then you should be able to get your onward boarding pass as well

For your baggage, seems like you would need to collect it and recheck it again the next day
Thanks buddy. It's booked under one PNR. I would hope they can check my baggage to TPE but seems that's not the case.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One important thing to note, as the Narita is not a 24 hour airport you will need to leave airside and spend the night in Japan. You can't avoid doing immigration. Not sure about the flow of the luggage.
Thanks CPH–Flyer. I have Hilton Narita booked.
Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:16 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
They can check your luggage through when requested. But that may depend on when you are going to travel as the upcoming Amadeus switch may suspend some of the check through.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by JALPak
They can check your luggage through when requested. But that may depend on when you are going to travel as the upcoming Amadeus switch may suspend some of the check through.
Thanks JALPak. I'll be traveling on 15th Nov.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That's (one day) before the changeover, you should be fine.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Oh yeah!!!!! Thanks BA6501
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
Baggage can be checked through as NRT has a bonded storage for up to 24 hours.

Boarding pass is unlikely at SYD, and it has nothing to do with the Amadeus changeover. Most flights are not open for check-in more than 24 hours before departure, which it will be when you check in for JL772. But you never know your luck!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
Which means his connecting flight is departing on day zero of the migration. Good luck LOL
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Which means his connecting flight is departing on day zero of the migration. Good luck LOL
Yep, the connecting flight to TPE will be on the system changeover day

That's gonna be fun ???
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by liveinsydney
Yep, the connecting flight to TPE will be on the system changeover day

That's gonna be fun ???
Just get to the airport early and you should be fine. NRT should still be running the old system on that day.

It’s not the end of the world if you have to recheck your luggage. NRT custom is pretty efficient and you have hotel shuttle anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Just get to the airport early and you should be fine. NRT should still be running the old system on that day.

It’s not the end of the world if you have to recheck your luggage. NRT custom is pretty efficient and you have hotel shuttle anyway.
Thanks JALPak, fingers crossed.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Report back, at the check-in counter, the option of whether the baggage would be checked through to the final destination was given.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.