FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Will baggage be checked through to final destination when transit in NRT overnight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1877113-will-baggage-checked-through-final-destination-when-transit-nrt-overnight.html)

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 4:20 am

Will baggage be checked through to final destination when transit in NRT overnight

Folks, sorry if this question was asked before.

I will be travelling JL from SYD to TPE via NRT.

JL772 arrives NRT at 17:00
JL805 depart NRT at 11:15 the following day.

Will I get two boarding passes in SYD and the baggage be checked through to TPE?

JALlover Nov 12, 2017 5:36 am

Are you booked into one single PNR? If yes then you should be able to get your onward boarding pass as well

For your baggage, seems like you would need to collect it and recheck it again the next day

CPH-Flyer Nov 12, 2017 6:14 am

One important thing to note, as the Narita is not a 24 hour airport you will need to leave airside and spend the night in Japan. You can't avoid doing immigration. Not sure about the flow of the luggage.

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by JALlover (Post 29050879)
Are you booked into one single PNR? If yes then you should be able to get your onward boarding pass as well

For your baggage, seems like you would need to collect it and recheck it again the next day

Thanks buddy. It's booked under one PNR. I would hope they can check my baggage to TPE but seems that's not the case.

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 6:49 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29050956)
One important thing to note, as the Narita is not a 24 hour airport you will need to leave airside and spend the night in Japan. You can't avoid doing immigration. Not sure about the flow of the luggage.

Thanks CPH–Flyer. I have Hilton Narita booked.
Cheers.

JALPak Nov 12, 2017 8:16 am

They can check your luggage through when requested. But that may depend on when you are going to travel as the upcoming Amadeus switch may suspend some of the check through.

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29051256)
They can check your luggage through when requested. But that may depend on when you are going to travel as the upcoming Amadeus switch may suspend some of the check through.

Thanks JALPak. I'll be traveling on 15th Nov.:confused:

BA6501 Nov 12, 2017 1:50 pm

That's (one day) before the changeover, you should be fine.

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 29052436)

Oh yeah!!!!! Thanks BA6501

777Cat3b Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Baggage can be checked through as NRT has a bonded storage for up to 24 hours.

Boarding pass is unlikely at SYD, and it has nothing to do with the Amadeus changeover. Most flights are not open for check-in more than 24 hours before departure, which it will be when you check in for JL772. But you never know your luck!

JALPak Nov 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 29052436)

Which means his connecting flight is departing on day zero of the migration. Good luck LOL

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29053403)
Which means his connecting flight is departing on day zero of the migration. Good luck LOL

Yep, the connecting flight to TPE will be on the system changeover day:mad::confused:

That's gonna be fun ???

JALPak Nov 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by liveinsydney (Post 29053460)
Yep, the connecting flight to TPE will be on the system changeover day:mad::confused:

That's gonna be fun ???

Just get to the airport early and you should be fine. NRT should still be running the old system on that day.

It’s not the end of the world if you have to recheck your luggage. NRT custom is pretty efficient and you have hotel shuttle anyway.

liveinsydney Nov 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29053639)
Just get to the airport early and you should be fine. NRT should still be running the old system on that day.

It’s not the end of the world if you have to recheck your luggage. NRT custom is pretty efficient and you have hotel shuttle anyway.

Thanks JALPak, fingers crossed.

liveinsydney Nov 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Report back, at the check-in counter, the option of whether the baggage would be checked through to the final destination was given.

JALPak Nov 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by liveinsydney (Post 29061768)
Report back, at the check-in counter, the option of whether the baggage would be checked through to the final destination was given.

Now let's hope it doesn't get lost during the migration :p

liveinsydney Nov 14, 2017 6:37 pm

OMG..... Did I pick the wrong choice :'(

JALPak Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by liveinsydney (Post 29061811)
OMG..... Did I pick the wrong choice :'(

You should be fine :)

JALlover Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29061771)
Now let's hope it doesn't get lost during the migration :p

Don't think its going to be lost, worst would be left at NRT:p
But being a Japanese carrier, they will do their best if anything pops up and will try to locate your bag asap

liveinsydney Nov 14, 2017 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by JALlover (Post 29062230)
Don't think its going to be lost, worst would be left at NRT:p
But being a Japanese carrier, they will do their best if anything pops up and will try to locate your bag asap

Are you and JALPak twins?

JALPak Nov 15, 2017 12:33 am

Originally Posted by liveinsydney (Post 29062466)
Are you and JALPak twins?

No, that’s my secret admirer LOL

liveinsydney Nov 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Report back again.

Arrived without hiccup. All good.

Thanks all. Cheers.

JALPak Nov 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by liveinsydney (Post 29065976)
Report back again.

Arrived without hiccup. All good.

Thanks all. Cheers.

how’s the line at the airport?

liveinsydney Nov 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 29065998)
how’s the line at the airport?

I checked in at JGC at area. Very few people with all counters open. Similar at Y CI
area.

maortega15 Nov 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Doesn't JAL provide you with a hotel if you have an overnight layover?

Years ago, I had an overnight layover between MNL and JFK and they gave me a free night stay at the Nikko Narita.

liveinsydney Nov 19, 2017 4:19 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 29073043)
Doesn't JAL provide you with a hotel if you have an overnight layover?

Years ago, I had an overnight layover between MNL and JFK and they gave me a free night stay at the Nikko Narita.

There was a connecting flight on the same day. I deliberately chose the next day flight. Then the STPC won't apply for this type of booking.

DFW1972 Oct 1, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by 777Cat3b (Post 29053396)
Baggage can be checked through as NRT has a bonded storage for up to 24 hours.

Hi,
Sorry to be so dense! So is it confirmed that JAL will keep our luggage overnight? I am planning a trip from BKK to ORD via NRT. We'll arrive in NRT at 16:20, then connect the next morning departing at 10:50.

Am I correct that we can check our luggage through to ORD so that we don't have to pick them up at NRT for just one night? I know when we did an under 24 hour connection in LHR on BA, we did not have to pick up our luggage.

Thanks so much for your help!

rdchen Feb 2, 2023 10:36 am

I'm planning to fly HKG-NRT on CX, overnight layover at Tokyo, then NRT-SFO on JL less than 24 hrs. later. Do I have to collect the checked baggage or will it be checked through? TIA.

izzik Feb 5, 2023 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen (Post 34979331)
I'm planning to fly HKG-NRT on CX, overnight layover at Tokyo, then NRT-SFO on JL less than 24 hrs. later. Do I have to collect the checked baggage or will it be checked through? TIA.

It's usually up to the check-in carrier.

percysmith Feb 7, 2023 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen (Post 34979331)

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 34987995)
It's usually up to the check-in carrier.

I did something similar (HKG-(CX)NRT-(JL next day)JFK. I didn’t have any bags, but CX certainly was reluctant checking me into the US (want to pass the buck to JL I suspect).

I had no checked bags though, maybe CX in HKG will tag on request.