Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to launch a new route to N. American West Coast in FY2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:23 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/items/uplo...91aef36c40.pdf

Plans to launch a new route to the west coast of North America, thereby further improve connectivity between North America and Asia, in FY2019.

Let the guessing game begin! SEA, PDX, PHX, SJC? So looks like MIA isn't going to happen any time soon? At least it's not "planned" for now?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:32 am

SJC would be great... 8AM departure into HND would be perfect... A350 with a new F would be legendary
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
SJC would be great... 8AM departure into HND would be perfect... A350 with a new F would be legendary
A350-1000 is direct replacement of the existing SS7 fleet. Don't expect to see additional F routes unless JL excises its A350-1000 options.

oneworld doesn't really have a strong presence in the bay area. That's a reason JL001/002 are the only F route in NA that is eligible for discounted upgrade. I would be surprised if it's SJC. With the new partnership with AS, SEA could be a tempting option though.

And just like MIA, once in a while we will hear rumors on PDX so I wouldn't rule that out completely either given NH has launched both SEA and SJC routes already.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

I guess I should add LAS to the list too. JL used to service LAS via LAX in the good old days
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It is a bit sad that it is the West Coast that is getting the annoucement, rather then the East Coast. At least in my view.

My guess would go with PDX. Though PHX could connect very well to the AA Network.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My guess would go with PDX. Though PHX could connect very well to the AA Network.
As much as I'd love to see PDX, I think SEA is a better option unless JAL is falling for the Portland marketing boom. No OW partner lounge at PDX either. E01/E03 config 788's at best?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Maybe SFO-NRT in order to reconnect SFO with other destinations in Asia that are not served via HND?

Or perhaps HND-YVR using an evening slot?

Those would technically be "new"...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:20 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
The Japanese version says a new "destination" so I suspect SEA, PDX, SJC in that order. Unless they consider DEN or PHX to be West Coast as well...
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
The Japanese version says a new "destination" so I suspect SEA, PDX, SJC in that order. Unless they consider DEN or PHX to be West Coast as well...
The partnership with Alaska could make SEA attractive. How are they represented in PDX?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The partnership with Alaska could make SEA attractive. How are they represented in PDX?
PDX is one of Alaska's hubs. I'd characterize it as strong for feed from PNW smaller cities, frequent shuttle flights between SEA (~40 minutes away) until the last year due to pilot shortages at their Horizon Air short haul subsidiary, a bit weaker to California second tier and smaller cities, and weaker still to any midcon or transcon destinations other than the largest markets. Biggest gap for feed to JAL might be lack of nonstop DEN-PDX.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
No OW partner lounge at PDX either.
AS has a PDX lounge, but I see frequent complaints on the AS board that it's cramped as is.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:22 pm

I will be pleasantly surprised if it’s PHX. Note that, of all the airports mentioned, PHX is the only one without any TPAC service!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:27 am

I think it will be SEA.
No current Oneworld partner flies out of SEA to Asia and JL would be the first.
SEA to Asia traffic is growing a lot and would feed into JL routes.
MSFT, AMZN have HQ there and population is booming.
Lots of companies and disposable income to sustain pax count.
AS is also a good partner and the main hub at SEA would provide connections to other parts of N.America.

It wouldnt be SJC as there is SFO nearby.
Wouldnt be PDX, PHX, LAS as there isnt nearly enough traffic to Asia.

But i'm a bit biased...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Hoping for PDX but fully expecting SEA. However, at SEA JL has to compete with NH & DL directly and KE/OZ/HU/BR for onward traffic. The last time we saw three airlines on the SEA-TYO route, UA ended up dropping out.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:21 pm

I think UA didnt succeed because they are the same alliance as NH and didnt have many onward connections to other parts of Asia from NRT.
The initial loads for NH on the SEA-NRT route when they started it were super light, like less than 50 pax in Y!
Now the NH flights are almost always high load.

JL would do much better as the only Oneworld partner and with plenty of connections in Asia.
Frankly, i am quite surprised there is up to now, still no Oneworld partner to Asia out of SEA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.