Skipping last leg on return flight

Old Sep 25, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Skipping last leg on return flight

I have a flight from Jan 10 - Feb 3 2017 for Japan Airline

BOS - TOKYO - SINGAPORE
SINGAPORE - TOKYO - BOS

I called their contact center to see if I can change the return flight date to 3/2/17 and the rep said there were no N fare available and she needs to contact the fare agent to get a quote.

She said minimum for change fee is $250 and potentially the difference in air fare. If I have too pay too much since she said I can't just cancel the return flight, I was thinking of staying in Tokyo, skipping the flight to Boston and booking a one way back to Boston separately.

Has anyone done something like this or similar? I was just afraid they would charge me the $300 fee for no show. Or charge some fee for not being on the last leg of the flight.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Last edited by linhie; Sep 25, 2017 at 2:40 pm Reason: Put in Japan Airline that I frogot
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:41 pm

I'm planning to do this as well. I didn't realize that there is a no-show fee.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by petey2428
Read your fare rules.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by linhie
I have a flight from Jan 10 - Feb 3 2017 for Japan Airline

BOS - TOKYO - SINGAPORE
SINGAPORE - TOKYO - BOS

I called their contact center to see if I can change the return flight date to 3/2/17 and the rep said there were no N fare available and she needs to contact the fare agent to get a quote.

She said minimum for change fee is $250 and potentially the difference in air fare. If I have too pay too much since she said I can't just cancel the return flight, I was thinking of staying in Tokyo, skipping the flight to Boston and booking a one way back to Boston separately.

Has anyone done something like this or similar? I was just afraid they would charge me the $300 fee for no show. Or charge some fee for not being on the last leg of the flight.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
If there is a no show fee in the fare conditions, expect to get the to pay it if you are a no show.

Also check the one way pricing, long haul one way flights often price very high. Especially originating in Japan. That might easily be your most expensive solution.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:21 pm

JAL is being very vague. My fare code is N, and under economy sale (which is what I assume my flight is for a roundtrip of $500), it says non refundable. On the other hand, if it’s economy promo, there’s a $300 no show fee for N.

https://www.ar.jal.com/arl/region/en...beyond.html#yl
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: JGC premier
I have done this in the past, and my husband too. Never had to pay any no-show fee although we were willing to if really requested as the saving were much bigger. I know this will be against the established practice of never telling your airline in advance of your plan, but we have always told the people at check in counter about how our plan has changed and to issue our boarding pass only till the segment we actually plan to ride on. No fuss, no no-show fee. The problem will only start if you get them to issue boarding pass to final destination but left during transit, which will cause a lot of inconvenience on JAL's part of having to look for missing passenger etc, hence the no-show fee, although this is my overseas based travel agent's view..
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by bakaneko85
I have done this in the past, and my husband too. Never had to pay any no-show fee although we were willing to if really requested as the saving were much bigger. I know this will be against the established practice of never telling your airline in advance of your plan, but we have always told the people at check in counter about how our plan has changed and to issue our boarding pass only till the segment we actually plan to ride on. No fuss, no no-show fee. The problem will only start if you get them to issue boarding pass to final destination but left during transit, which will cause a lot of inconvenience on JAL's part of having to look for missing passenger etc, hence the no-show fee, although this is my overseas based travel agent's view..
Technically this is not no-show since you told them about the plan
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petey2428
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If there is a no show fee in the fare conditions, expect to get the to pay it if you are a no show.

Also check the one way pricing, long haul one way flights often price very high. Especially originating in Japan. That might easily be your most expensive solution.

The JAL rep got back to me last night and quoted me 3 different fares and they were all going to add up to well over $1000 and I was not about to pay it and the rep can tell that it was expensive. She then proceed to say that she is not suppose to say this but suggested that I can skip my return flight entirely instead and they usually don't chase down for the no show fee.

Regardless, will most likely skip the last leg and let them know when I land in Tokyo and make up some excuse saying I can't make the return flight.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:51 am

The JAL rep got back to me last night and quoted me 3 different fares and they were all going to add up to well over $1000 and I was not about to pay it and the rep can tell that it was expensive. She then proceed to say that she is not suppose to say this but suggested that I can skip my return flight entirely instead and they usually don't chase down for the no show fee.

Regardless, will most likely skip the last leg and let them know when I land in Tokyo and make up some excuse saying I can't make the return flight.

So should I tell the rep or not? I’m going to skip the return segment, and I wasn’t gonna go to the airport at app
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:04 pm

What you plan to do would possibly delay a flight as they have to offload your luggage. Do not check in for the flights you do not intend to fly.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Isn't a no show fee like the change fee? If you don't change your ticket but no show and then want credit for the ticket?
I've never heard of an airline charging if you just don't use a ticket (no show)!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:46 pm
Suspended

I wonder how the airlines charge you the no show fee. Do they charge it to your original purchase credit card? If you purchase the ticket through a third party (eg, a travel site online, or travel agent) , how would JAL know your credit card number?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.