Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Does Not Participate in Pre-Check?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by werDrD
Any chance JAL will join TSA Precheck in 2018? ANA started in Oct 2017.
They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:51 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They might in the next wave, now that they are done with the PSS transfer.
not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

not done yet. Airport system migration is ongoing till March. At least that’s what aviation wire says
OK, now that they are approaching the end of PSS transfer.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: JAL Diamond
I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:19 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by aikinai
I really hope ANA's support incites some urgency in JAL; flying back from the US without pre-check is the worst.
Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak

Not really, I was at LAX T4 and the pre-check line was longer than the regular priority lines. I don’t mind taking off shoes, etc.
Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
If the premium line is consistently slower than standard line, no one is preventing you from using the standard line

The times I have departed from T1 with JAL it has been pretty quick and painless though.
Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in
Are these the late morning departures from JFK? Evening rush is crazy at T1 with departures to Europe.
Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Really?

And you don't mind taking your electronics and Kippy Bag out of your carry-on? You don't mind taking your light coat off? You don't mind taking everything out of your pockets? And you don't mind placing yourself in the surrender position while they bombard your entire body with millimeter waves?

Well, I DO care.
The fallacy is the notion that the length of the line matters. It is the length of time it takes to make it through the checkpoint that matters. As a rule of thumb, Pre-Check processes approximately 7 passengers in the time it takes for the steerage line to handle 1. Unless the Pre-Check line is 7 times longer than the regular, there is a benefit to Pre-Check above and beyond the hassle factor of laptops, 3-1-1 bag and jacket.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Yes, I have generally been on the morning JAL departure from JFK.
Good to know. I'm on the 11 am to NRT in a few weeks. My first time ever on a pre- 6pm departure from T1.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?

Last edited by travelerguru; Feb 17, 2018 at 9:54 am
Old Feb 17, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by travelerguru
Got a quick question about the JAL boarding pass TSA Precheck issue... If I am traveling on JAL, but they are the first leg of a three leg itinerary will the TSA pre be printed on my AA boarding passes? I am guessing not, but does anyone know for certain? I am only flying JAL into Tokyo and then transiting to an AA flight landing in Dallas. But since JAL is the first airline I suspect my TSA pre will not be printed on my AA boarding passes either. In addition in case someone asks, all flights were booked directly with AA. My last few flights are with AA also in the US. Can someone confirm?
Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.
travelerguru likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Just make sure your TTN is on your AA reservation. It won't be printed on your JAL printed boarding passes but it should be on your AA printed ones (such as reprinted at an AA kiosk or AA's website or in the app). Since you're flying AA from Tokyo and Precheck is meaningless at Japanese transit security, just ask the AA gate agent there to reprint your onward boarding passes.

I've had no issues getting Precheck on participating carriers' sectors even if the first flight was on JAL Worked for both AA and Alaska.
My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: JAL Diamond
I think what rustykettel was saying is that there's never a problem getting pre-check boarding passes from pre-check participating carriers. JAL will definitely not print pre-check on any of your boarding passes. You will have to get a boarding pass from American to get pre-check on it. But I can confirm I do that all the time and have also never had a problem. If you're behind security, it doesn't matter anyway; if you have to leave and go back though security, just stop by the pre-check participating carriers desk and get a new boarding pass before re-entering.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by travelerguru
My KTN is in my AA account, it was typed in after I got the number. What I am mainly concerned is that because JAL is not part of the Precheck that their system will not even be able to print the AA tickets with the Pre-check on it. But yes, I had considered if it was not to go to the AA desk in Tokyo at the gate and ask them to reprint my boarding pass which will hopefully then have it. App boarding passing would also carry the precheck? I have never used my phone as a boarding pass. Not even sure how to access that part. But it is good to know that you have never had any issues getting non-participating carriers' to print participating carriers precheck status on those portions.
JL is not a participating Pre-Check carrier. Period. JL cannot issue BP's to any passenger for any flight which are Pre-Check eligible. Period.

If you are connecting from JL to a Pre-Check carrier such as AA, you will need to obtain a new BP from the onward carrier, such as AA, in order to be considered for and to obtain Pre-Check.

This may be doable online if you OLCI through AA, at a kiosk at your connection airport, at an AA counter, or customer service desk. But, to be clear, Pre-Check will be available if you obtain your AA BP from an AA channel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.