Japan Credit Card

Old Sep 12, 17, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Japan Credit Card

Hello, Japan-based FTers.

What's your recommended Japan-issued credit card that earns JL miles? Preferably the one with bearable English support.
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:45 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boarding_pass View Post
Hello, Japan-based FTers.

What's your recommended Japan-issued credit card that earns JL miles? Preferably the one with bearable English support.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jalcard/function/ggwaon/ is perfect for you @CPH-Flyer desperately wants this card

Since you just move to Japan, getting a credit card might be harder than you think. Have you considered https://www.americanexpress.com/jp/c...ed-guest-card/ which may be easier to get? And also this is an enjoy while it lasts deal with SPG going away in a year or so.
Old Sep 12, 17, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
https://www.jal.co.jp/jalcard/function/ggwaon/ is perfect for you @CPH-Flyer desperately wants this card

Since you just move to Japan, getting a credit card might be harder than you think. Have you considered https://www.americanexpress.com/jp/c...ed-guest-card/ which may be easier to get? And also this is an enjoy while it lasts deal with SPG going away in a year or so.
I've been here for 13 months and I have an existing bank account (Yen) and a normal Rakuten credit card!

That AMEX is nice! But establishments accepting AMEX here is still soooo limited. I'll have a look!
Old Sep 12, 17, 9:06 pm

I've been here for 13 months and I have an existing bank account (Yen) and a normal Rakuten credit card!

That AMEX is nice! But establishments accepting AMEX here is still soooo limited. I'll have a look!
Then you can just get a JALCARD...but be warned English support is probably non-existent. They don't even have an English website. If you don't mind paying for the high annual fee, the platinum card will get you most miles.

http://www.jal.co.jp/jalcard/index03.html
Old Sep 12, 17, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Then you can just get a JALCARD...but be warned English support is probably non-existent. They don't even have an English website. If you don't mind paying for the high annual fee, the platinum card will get you most miles.

Thanks! I miss the times when you just sign up to credit cards and you get bonuses enough for a RT F flights! And that annual fees are easily waived and reversed due to heavy spending!
Old Sep 12, 17, 11:07 pm

Thanks! I miss the times when you just sign up to credit cards and you get bonuses enough for a RT F flights! And that annual fees are easily waived and reversed due to heavy spending!
Not with JAL unfortunately. I have seen the JAL USA Card offered a doll as the sign up bonus before and another 5000 miles if you fly on JL within a certain period LOL.
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Not with JAL unfortunately. I have seen the JAL USA Card offered a doll as the sign up bonus before and another 5000 miles if you fly on JL within a certain period LOL.
A doll, you serious

They need some real incentives. It seems like they don't care about credit card businesses much.
Old Sep 13, 17, 3:24 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
A doll, you serious

They need some real incentives. It seems like they don't care about credit card businesses much.
I don't think they care that much outside Japan. I would imagine they are mainly serving the Japanese expat population in the US rather than the local market.

In Japan they are fairly well in line with how the market works.
Old Sep 13, 17, 3:36 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

My personal evaluation when I got my card was that there was no value in going above the Club A Gold Card. The platinum cards are too expensive compared to the added benefits. Also being Amex and Diners (and is there also a JCB?) not the most usefull credit cards compared to Visa and Master Card.
Old Sep 13, 17, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
My personal evaluation when I got my card was that there was no value in going above the Club A Gold Card. The platinum cards are too expensive compared to the added benefits. Also being Amex and Diners (and is there also a JCB?) not the most usefull credit cards compared to Visa and Master Card.
There's a JCB. But if you care about overseas spending Amex would be better than JCB

I guess if you don't need the priority pass and 2 miles per 100JPY on eligible JAL spending then it would be better to get the club a gold.
Old Sep 13, 17, 9:52 am

There's a JCB. But if you care about overseas spending Amex would be better than JCB

I guess if you don't need the priority pass and 2 miles per 100JPY on eligible JAL spending then it would be better to get the club a gold.
I do get 2 miles per 100 JPY on JAL flight purchases from the JAL website with my card. And priority pass I don't really need.
Old Sep 13, 17, 10:51 am

I do get 2 miles per 100 JPY on JAL flight purchases from the JAL website with my card. And priority pass I don't really need.
I meant 2 extra miles as oppose to 1 extra mile. You get 3 per 100JPY.
Old Sep 13, 17, 5:19 pm

I meant 2 extra miles as oppose to 1 extra mile. You get 3 per 100JPY.
But it is a very expensive extra mile per 100 yen on select purchases in my view. Of course some people may draw benefits from the platinum cards, but one would need to look very detailed at the price and use of the benefits to be sure.
Old Sep 13, 17, 5:47 pm

But it is a very expensive extra mile per 100 yen on select purchases in my view. Of course some people may draw benefits from the platinum cards, but one would need to look very detailed at the price and use of the benefits to be sure.
That's why I said if he doesn't mind the high annual fee
Old Sep 13, 17, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

I don't mind the annual fee usually as I normally get it reversed and waived at the end of the year anyway! But seems not the case in Japan. :/

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: