Mileage redemption for flights/upgrades

Old Sep 9, 17, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, JAL Sapphire
Mileage redemption for flights/upgrades

Question on redeeming miles for either free flight or upgrade.

I have been able to search for availability for free flights on JAL website, but it has been rather difficult to find suitable flights that are outright available. Most flights show waiting list. What can I expect from the waitlist as far as actually getting the flight?

Another option is to buy economy then upgrade to business. Is it possible to search for upgrade availability in the website? There is a tab for upgrade reward reservation in the website, but after clicking in it seems to need to have upgradable reservation in place first...

Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
It depends a bit on what routes and when roughly you are looking for.

If you call JAL they can tell you whether you'll be able to confirm an upgrade from economy immediately, or that will go on waitlist.
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:07 am

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG- Lifetime Plat
I am a JAL mileage bank nobody waitlisted for a paid J to F upgrade using miles. Would my chances of clearing the upgrade improve if enter my FF number from AA where I'm a CK (emerald)? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: AA-CK, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG- Lifetime Plat
My upgrade came through in early December for a flight towards the end of January. I was surprised there was no notification from JAL. I happen to log into my account and saw miles deducted and could not access my reservation anymore. I called in and they confirmed that I was upgraded in seat 2A. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:42 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeFly View Post
My upgrade came through in early December for a flight towards the end of January. I was surprised there was no notification from JAL. I happen to log into my account and saw miles deducted and could not access my reservation anymore. I called in and they confirmed that I was upgraded in seat 2A. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.
Normally when you waitlist for an upgrade they will ask you if you want a notification and confirmation before processing, or if you just want an automated flow.. Seems you were on the automated flow.