Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Domestic Mileage Run

Unless there's a way to book multi-city domestic flights within Japan, I'm looking at booking two roundtrip flights HND-ITM RT and ITM-FUK.

Anyone who have done this before? I won't have any check-in baggage with me, but just in case, will JL check through on two separate but JAL group tickets all the way to FUK, and will MCT (no information for ITM domestic-domestic connection on the website) be observed?

Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by boarding_pass
Unless there's a way to book multi-city domestic flights within Japan, I'm looking at booking two roundtrip flights HND-ITM RT and ITM-FUK.

Anyone who have done this before? I won't have any check-in baggage with me, but just in case, will JL check through on two separate but JAL group tickets all the way to FUK, and will MCT (no information for ITM domestic-domestic connection on the website) be observed?

Thank you!
MCT at ITM is 25 min.

You can book a multi-city but you need to use the Japanese version
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
MCT at ITM is 25 min.

You can book a multi-city but you need to use the Japanese version
I didn't know this 'trick'!

I chose One-Way, then just added flights along the way. Thanks JALPak, let's meet in Tokyo and have a beer. ;-)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:25 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K

I chose One-Way, then just added flights along the way. Thanks JALPak, let's meet in Tokyo and have a beer. ;-)
I think you can also just call JAL and book each segment as Japan explorer fare. I know people doing MRs typically add up 3-5 segments per day which is kind of crazy. It's also tricky to get all boarding passes at once, I think they'll print up to 3 and ask you to recheck in again after landing, so spare enough time for that.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jix
I think you can also just call JAL and book each segment as Japan explorer fare. I know people doing MRs typically add up 3-5 segments per day which is kind of crazy. It's also tricky to get all boarding passes at once, I think they'll print up to 3 and ask you to recheck in again after landing, so spare enough time for that.
No, they will print all for you if you are "connecting". I think OP wants J created to QR so JEP won't work.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:34 pm

I am not TYO based
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks for the info! However I now moved to Japan thus this won't work. Next time once I'm relocated somewhere else.

Originally Posted by JALPak
I am not TYO based
Ha! I'm pretty sure you'll be here Let me know or maybe a beer in LAX
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:16 pm

Thanks for the info! However I now moved to Japan thus this won't work. Next time once I'm relocated somewhere else.

Ha! I'm pretty sure you'll be here Let me know or maybe a beer in LAX
I don't even know when my next trip is myself TYO is just a transit point for me. I don't usually stay there for too long. I usually spend most of the time on domestic flights

Last edited by JALPak; Sep 5, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
MR for JGC on segments? or another ffp?
if JGC on FOPs, i suggest you do okinawa runs instead
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC; JMB
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
MR for JGC on segments? or another ffp?
if JGC on FOPs, i suggest you do okinawa runs instead
Hi Tokyoite,

I’m BAEC gold, but ITM based and always fly JL international for work. I’m thinking of ether switching to JMB or ANA, as it seems the miles are more valuable and I’m wondering if the perks are better? Do you have any reccomendations?

I’m also trying to minimise the pain during the switch (lost bonus miles, etc. I have gold status with BA till August). I heard that runs taking in OKA tagged onto HND and international trip are a good (cheaper?) way to rack up FOP. Any knowledge?

​​​​​​​Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:49 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by fp7100

Hi Tokyoite,

I’m BAEC gold, but ITM based and always fly JL international for work. I’m thinking of ether switching to JMB or ANA, as it seems the miles are more valuable and I’m wondering if the perks are better? Do you have any reccomendations?

I’m also trying to minimise the pain during the switch (lost bonus miles, etc. I have gold status with BA till August). I heard that runs taking in OKA tagged onto HND and international trip are a good (cheaper?) way to rack up FOP. Any knowledge?

​​​​​​​Thanks
There are so many blogs about JGC and SFC in Japanese. If you can read Japanese, search by 'マイル 修行 2018 JGC'
If you can obtain JAL card, I recommend JGC, Because, during transition, you can use JAL lounge as a BA Gold member.

If you can't get JAL credit card, IMHO, BA is better option.
Cost of getting JAL sapphire status and Cost of getting BA Gold are almost same, if you live in Japan.

About OKA(Naha, Okinawa) reoutes, still good, but not so good as good old days.
Simle UltraSakitoku of HNDOKA earns 1476FOP. Lowest price is 8900JPY. So, you get 6.0FOP/JPY (good deal).
You can combine this with OKA-xHND-SIN-xHND-OKA.
Still OKA-HND earns 1968FOP.
So, OKA-xHND-SIN-xHND-OKA earns 8904FOP (L/V/S), 11692FOP(H/K/M), 14672FOP(W/Y/B/E).
There are so many routes and know-hows. So, I couldn't write all of them.

I really recommend searching Japanese blogs.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
There are so many blogs about JGC and SFC in Japanese. If you can read Japanese, search by 'マイル 修行 2018 JGC'
If you can obtain JAL card, I recommend JGC, Because, during transition, you can use JAL lounge as a BA Gold member.

If you can't get JAL credit card, IMHO, BA is better option.
Cost of getting JAL sapphire status and Cost of getting BA Gold are almost same, if you live in Japan.

Simle UltraSakitoku of HNDOKA earns 1476FOP. Lowest price is 8900JPY. So, you get 6.0FOP/JPY (good deal).
So, OKA-xHND-SIN-xHND-OKA earns 8904FOP (L/V/S), 11692FOP(H/K/M), 14672FOP(W/Y/B/E).

Just stick to BA Gold and aim for real lifetime status with BA then if cost for BA Gold is the same as getting JMB Sapphire. BA Gold will get your emerald privileges which is more valuable.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fp7100

Hi Tokyoite,

​​​​​​​Thanks
There are other ways to rack up FOP for cheaper. I'm ITM based also. If you need suggestions PM me.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by fumitani
There are other ways to rack up FOP for cheaper. I'm ITM based also. If you need suggestions PM me.
I also need suggestions for 2018 JGC runs.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC; JMB
Thanks for your fast reply and info. I just have a couple of clarifications...

Do you just mean JAL credit card? I have another credit card in Japan already, so I don't think it should be too tough. But I don't quite follow what you mean by it making the transition easier? As you say, the BA Gold gives me lounge access. If the only main benefit of JAL credit card the miles for spending (1 per 100 yen?)

If you wouldn't mind, do you have any bookable examples, e.g. on google flights or how to search on JAL website? I can't seem to find anything like those prices when searching, that's all.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.