Possible to upgrade N fare?

Reply

Old Aug 28, 17, 10:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Edison, NJ
Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 98
Possible to upgrade N fare?

I have an N fare round trip ticket from jfk to Singapore with a 6 day stop over in Japan. I'll be flying nearly 20,000 miles and I would like to put these miles toward Alaska Airlines but I'll only get 30% of the miles. Anybody have any experience upgrading these to premium economy or even regular economy? If I can get that 100% I'll get my first ever airline status with a transcontinental flight I have next month on virgin.
layoverdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:46 pm
  #2  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,593
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
I have an N fare round trip ticket from jfk to Singapore with a 6 day stop over in Japan. I'll be flying nearly 20,000 miles and I would like to put these miles toward Alaska Airlines but I'll only get 30% of the miles. Anybody have any experience upgrading these to premium economy or even regular economy? If I can get that 100% I'll get my first ever airline status with a transcontinental flight I have next month on virgin.
You will have to pay for the full fare difference plus penalty to get 100% miles. Same-day premium economy upgrade at check-in will still be credited as N fare, i.e. 30% miles.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 5:50 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Edison, NJ
Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 98
On my way back I fly from sin to jfk with an hour layover in nrt. If I upgrade at check in at sin, will I get premium economy the whole trip or just to Tokyo?
layoverdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 6:11 pm
  #4  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,593
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
On my way back I fly from sin to jfk with an hour layover in nrt. If I upgrade at check in at sin, will I get premium economy the whole trip or just to Tokyo?
Charges are per sector.
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 17, 6:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 7,437
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
On my way back I fly from sin to jfk with an hour layover in nrt. If I upgrade at check in at sin, will I get premium economy the whole trip or just to Tokyo?
And, if you upgrade at check-in you will still only get the original booking class miles.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:23 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 232
@CPH-Flyer, is this the same case for domestic Class J or First upgrade at check-in? The miles earned (for partners) would be based on original booking class?
boarding_pass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 3:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Posts: 1,366
Originally Posted by boarding_pass View Post
@CPH-Flyer, is this the same case for domestic Class J or First upgrade at check-in? The miles earned (for partners) would be based on original booking class?
Usually, domestic same day paid upgrade is credited as an upgraded class.
In my experience, BA and CX credit my same day upgrade flights as upgraded classes.
Wasabi Tofu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 17, 9:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beantown! (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Posts: 2,030
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Usually, domestic same day paid upgrade is credited as an upgraded class.
In my experience, BA and CX credit my same day upgrade flights as upgraded classes.
That is my experience also. I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on international flight from Economy to Premium Economy. Miles was credited as originally purchased Economy fare.

When I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on domestic flight from Economy to Class J, miles was credited as Class J. However, funny thing is that once I purchased Class J up front during the time of ticketing in advance, where miles was credited as Business I fare. When I did the day of the flight upgrade at an airport from Economy to Class J, where miles was credited as Business J fare.

More miles was credited to my AAdvantage account for day of the flight upgrade at an airport, than when I purchasing Class J up front during ticketing in advance. Both cases same route, miles based on the route was same. Where at many airlines day of the flight upgrade at an airport usually credit miles to originally purchased class, not class flown.
AlwaysAisle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:27 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
That is my experience also. I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on international flight from Economy to Premium Economy. Miles was credited as originally purchased Economy fare.

When I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on domestic flight from Economy to Class J, miles was credited as Class J. However, funny thing is that once I purchased Class J up front during the time of ticketing in advance, where miles was credited as Business I fare. When I did the day of the flight upgrade at an airport from Economy to Class J, where miles was credited as Business J fare.

More miles was credited to my AAdvantage account for day of the flight upgrade at an airport, than when I purchasing Class J up front during ticketing in advance. Both cases same route, miles based on the route was same. Where at many airlines day of the flight upgrade at an airport usually credit miles to originally purchased class, not class flown.
Great! Looks promising. I'll have it credited to QR which only has one bucket for all J fares so to me, as long as the extra +1000 JPY will really be credited as Business/J, then I'm happy!
boarding_pass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 17, 5:59 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Japan
Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Posts: 1,366
Originally Posted by boarding_pass View Post
Great! Looks promising. I'll have it credited to QR which only has one bucket for all J fares so to me, as long as the extra +1000 JPY will really be credited as Business/J, then I'm happy!
I checked QR table.

http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...d%2520Airlines

Domestic Flights

Business
J 110%
I 85%
This earning rate is identical to JAL's own program.
110% earning rate for domestic class J service is FULL fare.
Discounted class J service earns 85%
Wasabi Tofu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 17, 6:03 am
  #11  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 14,593
Come on, let's not hijack OP's thread into a domestic upgrade one, esp when those discussion belongs to QR forum instead
JALPak is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: