Possible to upgrade N fare?

Old Aug 28, 17, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
Possible to upgrade N fare?

I have an N fare round trip ticket from jfk to Singapore with a 6 day stop over in Japan. I'll be flying nearly 20,000 miles and I would like to put these miles toward Alaska Airlines but I'll only get 30% of the miles. Anybody have any experience upgrading these to premium economy or even regular economy? If I can get that 100% I'll get my first ever airline status with a transcontinental flight I have next month on virgin.
Old Aug 28, 17, 10:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
I have an N fare round trip ticket from jfk to Singapore with a 6 day stop over in Japan. I'll be flying nearly 20,000 miles and I would like to put these miles toward Alaska Airlines but I'll only get 30% of the miles. Anybody have any experience upgrading these to premium economy or even regular economy? If I can get that 100% I'll get my first ever airline status with a transcontinental flight I have next month on virgin.
You will have to pay for the full fare difference plus penalty to get 100% miles. Same-day premium economy upgrade at check-in will still be credited as N fare, i.e. 30% miles.
Old Aug 29, 17, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
On my way back I fly from sin to jfk with an hour layover in nrt. If I upgrade at check in at sin, will I get premium economy the whole trip or just to Tokyo?
Old Aug 29, 17, 6:11 pm

On my way back I fly from sin to jfk with an hour layover in nrt. If I upgrade at check in at sin, will I get premium economy the whole trip or just to Tokyo?
Charges are per sector.
Old Aug 29, 17, 6:41 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
And, if you upgrade at check-in you will still only get the original booking class miles.
Old Aug 30, 17, 1:23 am

@CPH-Flyer, is this the same case for domestic Class J or First upgrade at check-in? The miles earned (for partners) would be based on original booking class?
Old Aug 30, 17, 3:19 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Originally Posted by boarding_pass View Post
@CPH-Flyer, is this the same case for domestic Class J or First upgrade at check-in? The miles earned (for partners) would be based on original booking class?
Usually, domestic same day paid upgrade is credited as an upgraded class.
In my experience, BA and CX credit my same day upgrade flights as upgraded classes.
Old Aug 30, 17, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu View Post
Usually, domestic same day paid upgrade is credited as an upgraded class.
In my experience, BA and CX credit my same day upgrade flights as upgraded classes.
That is my experience also. I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on international flight from Economy to Premium Economy. Miles was credited as originally purchased Economy fare.

When I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on domestic flight from Economy to Class J, miles was credited as Class J. However, funny thing is that once I purchased Class J up front during the time of ticketing in advance, where miles was credited as Business I fare. When I did the day of the flight upgrade at an airport from Economy to Class J, where miles was credited as Business J fare.

More miles was credited to my AAdvantage account for day of the flight upgrade at an airport, than when I purchasing Class J up front during ticketing in advance. Both cases same route, miles based on the route was same. Where at many airlines day of the flight upgrade at an airport usually credit miles to originally purchased class, not class flown.
Old Aug 31, 17, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
That is my experience also. I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on international flight from Economy to Premium Economy. Miles was credited as originally purchased Economy fare.

When I have done day of the flight upgrade at the airport on domestic flight from Economy to Class J, miles was credited as Class J. However, funny thing is that once I purchased Class J up front during the time of ticketing in advance, where miles was credited as Business I fare. When I did the day of the flight upgrade at an airport from Economy to Class J, where miles was credited as Business J fare.

More miles was credited to my AAdvantage account for day of the flight upgrade at an airport, than when I purchasing Class J up front during ticketing in advance. Both cases same route, miles based on the route was same. Where at many airlines day of the flight upgrade at an airport usually credit miles to originally purchased class, not class flown.
Great! Looks promising. I'll have it credited to QR which only has one bucket for all J fares so to me, as long as the extra +1000 JPY will really be credited as Business/J, then I'm happy!
Old Aug 31, 17, 5:59 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Originally Posted by boarding_pass View Post
Great! Looks promising. I'll have it credited to QR which only has one bucket for all J fares so to me, as long as the extra +1000 JPY will really be credited as Business/J, then I'm happy!
I checked QR table.

http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...d%2520Airlines

Domestic Flights

Business
J 110%
I 85%
This earning rate is identical to JAL's own program.
110% earning rate for domestic class J service is FULL fare.
Discounted class J service earns 85%
Old Aug 31, 17, 6:03 am

Come on, let's not hijack OP's thread into a domestic upgrade one, esp when those discussion belongs to QR forum instead