Search

JAL Airport Upgrade experiences?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
JAL Airport Upgrade experiences?

Hello,

I tried searching for this but couldn't find any anec-data.

JAL has an airport upgrade offering, listed at https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jal_up_today.html#info.

This service is to apply for JAL International Upgrade Award upon check-in at the airport on the day of departure. This service can be used when a seat is available in the next higher class of service than that of the purchased ticket.
You can pay fewer miles to upgrade day of flight instead of earlier. The savings vary.

Has anyone tried to get one, and has it succeeded? Would love info on routes/experiences. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2017, 12:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
What exactly were you looking for? This is as simple as if seats and meals are available, and your ticket is upgradable then you can pay fewer miles to upgrade. It's just the same as same-day upgrade at the airport we had before but you pay less miles now.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I had a few specific questions:

1. Do you need availability in an "upgrade fare class", or is it any biz seat or first class seat that's on the plane. Assuming you have an eligible fare.
2. Is it worth the risk i.e. does it generally clear at airport, or should you apply way in advance? Just looking for some data here.

Thanks.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I did it just now just for fun. I had no intention of upgrading to the crappy sS2 before and obviously I am left with crappy center seats. From what I can tell, they seem to use a different bucket. At least my boarding class subclass is different from the normal mile upgrade ones.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat

1. Do you need availability in an "upgrade fare class", or is it any biz seat or first class seat that's on the plane. Assuming you have an eligible fare.
2. Is it worth the risk i.e. does it generally clear at airport, or should you apply way in advance? Just looking for some data here.

Thanks.
depends if the flight's full. say last weekend if you were looking to go to japan from europe you'd be stuck.
but when i last floew to FRA in F, it was 2/8 and we were given 2 seats; to sleep and to "lounge".
Old May 23, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat

Thanks.
In my recent NRT-FRA flight.
I booked PE by miles.
At the airport, I asked C availability.
An agent said 'Only aisle seat is available.'
Difference of PE award and C award (20,000miles) was deducted.

For Q1, it seems that you can grab any seat.
(About priority, not clear. Some Japanese blog says first come first service. However, JMB desk says Diamond may have priority. JMB desk agent seems not to know real airport operation/procedure)

For Q2, You can only apply at the airport.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Can you pay with a credit card to upgrade to the next class up? Some airlines have the option (like for example Etihad does) where on check in if seats are availble then you can upgrade to J on payment of a discounted amount. Does JAL have this option?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yabadoo
Can you pay with a credit card to upgrade to the next class up? Some airlines have the option (like for example Etihad does) where on check in if seats are availble then you can upgrade to J on payment of a discounted amount. Does JAL have this option?
You can pay to upgrade from economy to premium economy, but upgrades from economy to business can only be arranged with JMB miles. (or paying the full fare difference and change fee)
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Thanks for the response. I would imagine that offering upgrades for cash at the airport for Y to J would be beneficial for airlines on flights where loads in J are light, Etihad and a few other airlines do this and J ends up being quite full with pax paying last minute to upgrade, this way the airline is able to squeeze some more revenue out.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yabadoo
Thanks for the response. I would imagine that offering upgrades for cash at the airport for Y to J would be beneficial for airlines on flights where loads in J are light, Etihad and a few other airlines do this and J ends up being quite full with pax paying last minute to upgrade, this way the airline is able to squeeze some more revenue out.
JAL's J cabins tend to go out pretty full under the current setup, so I would not think them too inclined to change it right now. Different markets, different dynamics.

​​​​​​
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can pay to upgrade from economy to premium economy
And to Class J on domestic JAL flights!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
And to Class J on domestic JAL flights!
which would also be economy to premium economy....

But if we are looking at domestic bookings, you can also pay up to domestic first at the airport.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
But if we are looking at domestic bookings, you can also pay up to domestic first at the airport.
That I didn't know. Thanks CPH-Flyer! If I'm ever on domestic with an F cabin, I'll have to try it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
That I didn't know. Thanks CPH-Flyer! If I'm ever on domestic with an F cabin, I'll have to try it.
They can be difficult to find open at day of departure, especially for Okinawa. But it can happen.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I take it no one has been able to buy (with cash) upgrade from economy to business? No PE on SEA-NRT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.