JAL LAX-NRT using Avios - F or J?

Old May 31, 17, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Call BA they can give you the JAL PNR. Then use that on the JAL website to select seats. View booking on the American region website is probably the best.
Cheers! I'll give that a try.
Old May 31, 17, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Id call up jal and give them ir flight details.
Old May 31, 17, 11:17 am
Original Poster

I may still have to cal JAL - I got the PNR number from BA and I think I have our seats squared away, except it won't take my wife's "advanced" age in "registrating".

I expect that it's because they consider that an exit row seat. However, there is no admonition on the web that older folks can't be seated in exit row seats (so long as they can perform the duties, etc...). Unless it's simply a bug in the system.

That said, we do want to sit together, as you might well imagine, and that is the only pair available.

Edit: Well I called JAL and they confirmed the seat assignments for me. The agent said "it must be a discrepancy in the system" and "being a BA ticket you must call BA for any changes".

PS: Why do they need three toilets for 8 PAX?
Attached Images  

Last edited by mwalsh; May 31, 17 at 1:43 pm
Old May 31, 17, 6:01 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mwalsh View Post
I may still have to cal JAL - I got the PNR number from BA and I think I have our seats squared away, except it won't take my wife's "advanced" age in "registrating".

I expect that it's because they consider that an exit row seat. However, there is no admonition on the web that older folks can't be seated in exit row seats (so long as they can perform the duties, etc...). Unless it's simply a bug in the system.

That said, we do want to sit together, as you might well imagine, and that is the only pair available.

Edit: Well I called JAL and they confirmed the seat assignments for me. The agent said "it must be a discrepancy in the system" and "being a BA ticket you must call BA for any changes".

PS: Why do they need three toilets for 8 PAX?
There are only two toilets. A bit larger one with a little retractable platform to stand on when you change, so you don't have to stand on the floor. And a standard sized one.
Old May 31, 17, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There are only two toilets. A bit larger one with a little retractable platform to stand on when you change, so you don't have to stand on the floor. And a standard sized one.
I like the standing platform idea. And the drop down seat so you don't have to sit on the lav to change too.

Speaking of which...what size sleep suit should I get? If I were shopping in a store I would get XL for a nice baggy fit, but the one time I got BA F sleepwear in XL it was completely massive on me.

That said, if the cabin as warm as some people indicate, since I run hot anyhow, I may just wear my own t-shirt and jersey shorts.
Old May 31, 17, 11:05 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I like the standing platform idea. And the drop down seat so you don't have to sit on the lav to change too.

Speaking of which...what size sleep suit should I get? If I were shopping in a store I would get XL for a nice baggy fit, but the one time I got BA F sleepwear in XL it was completely massive on me.

That said, if the cabin as warm as some people indicate, since I run hot anyhow, I may just wear my own t-shirt and jersey shorts.
You would need to go for a large. I don't think they stock XL,I have only ever heard of S, M, or L. Personally I go for M at 178cm height and 78kg weight. If they are still doing the Porche Design version the trousers in the M size are not loose fit for me.
Old Jun 1, 17, 4:43 am
Original Poster

After reading the "cabin too hot" thread I'm starting to think the PJs are going to be a non-starter anyway, except as a souvenir. In fact, I may pack a tank-top as well as a t-shirt to give myself plenty of options. I'm also seriously considering a personal fan, either USB or mains powered.

Mrs. W. should be fine with a warmer cabin - we live in LA and I'm frequently sweating bullets with the sheets kicked off while she's got a sheet and at least one blanket pulled up over her.

I'm 178cm and 90kg right now, but am hoping to be down to 80-85kg by then.
Old Jun 1, 17, 5:00 am

After reading the "cabin too hot" thread I'm starting to think the PJs are going to be a non-starter anyway, except as a souvenir. In fact, I may pack a tank-top as well as a t-shirt to give myself plenty of options. I'm also seriously considering a personal fan, either USB or mains powered.

Mrs. W. should be fine with a warmer cabin - we live in LA and I'm frequently sweating bullets with the sheets kicked off while she's got a sheet and at least one blanket pulled up over her.

I'm 178cm and 90kg right now, but am hoping to be down to 80-85kg by then.
I do think the cabin is too hot thread is quite hyperbolic. But then again, it is a very individual concept. I am always in the PJ and under the duvet for sleeping. And as a Scandinavian I am the preference for cooler temperatures. But not for the fridge setting of air conditioning in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Question about the seating chart as presented above - why do you think somebody traveling alone would have picked 2G? The only thing I could think of is that they definitely didn't want a window seat. But then you'd end up sitting next to somebody you didn't know (privacy screen notwithstanding)! Seems a bit weird.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Question about the seating chart as presented above - why do you think somebody traveling alone would have picked 2G? The only thing I could think of is that they definitely didn't want a window seat. But then you'd end up sitting next to somebody you didn't know (privacy screen notwithstanding)! Seems a bit weird.
2G is the basinet seat which is blocked.
Old Jun 1, 17, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
2G is the basinet seat which is blocked.
Oh, man...they let babies into F??? Will have to keep my fingers crossed.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

My F surprise is out the window - One of my steps came by the house this weekend and the subject of travel came up in the conversation. She said to her mom, "I'll bet your excited about flying F to Japan next year?" D'oh!
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
My F surprise is out the window - One of my steps came by the house this weekend and the subject of travel came up in the conversation. She said to her mom, "I'll bet your excited about flying F to Japan next year?" D'oh!
You can still surprise her by putting her in coach lol
Gino Troian likes this.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", DL Silver, UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
You told the wrong person!
Old Dec 28, 17, 11:53 am
Original Poster

JL61 F meal service - how soon after takeoff? Or can we request meal service at a time other than proffered?

Trying to decide on whether to have breakfast/lunch in the Qantas F lounge or just have drinks (maybe a snack too) and wait for luncheon on the plane.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: