JAL disability services, AA codeshare

Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

JAL disability services, AA codeshare

Hello, today I booked a flight with JAL through AA, for a JFK-HND flight in September. I was unable to select seats through AA. A brief background: I am a quadriplegic, travel with a power wheelchair, require an aisle chair, along with assistance with transferring to/from plane seat. This has not been an issue in the past, and was easy to arrange on my end. I'm a bit of a nervous ninny, so after booking through AA, I thought I would contact JAL and discuss my needs, and perhaps get a seat assignment for me and my travel partner. Unfortunately the gentleman I spoke with did not seem familiar with the process, and soon I was transferred to AA, who similarly did not seem to be familiar with arranging services. The AA rep stated that one of the locations did not have a jetway, and that I would need to navigate stairs. She thought this was at JFK, but she seemed unsure. I can't imagine this is accurate, but maybe it is? She suggested I follow up on a weekday for clarification, but then stated that there was no need to contact AA unless I haven't heard from them within 72 hrs of the flight. I prefer not to wait that long to learn that there may be issues. I do not understand why given the specific needs, that JAL wouldn't make the arrangements. The flight if booked through JAL is $200 more/ticket, but I wonder if that may be better so that I can deal directly with JAL. I am within the 24-hr refund window for AA, so I'm trying to see what options are available to help put my mind at ease. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:06 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
What's your booking class?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Economy, Q I believe (if that's what you're referring to)
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Just request assistance at the airport. And select the one that requires assistance all the way to the seat. That should be a fairly standard procedure, and should be requested in advance. As a standard, there are jet way in both JFK and HND, but of course exceptional cases can occur.

Selecting a seat in advance with AA codeshare is always a bit complicated. But if you get a note with your assistance that you require an aisle seat, I am fairly sure it will work out.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by duceno1
Economy, Q I believe (if that's what you're referring to)
You should be able to pre-select a seat. Just tell JAL reservation you need to use their priority guest service and ask them to arrange for it. If they tell you you need to contact AA, just tell them to make a conference call to AA to sort this out.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalpri/handicap/walk.html
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

I contacted JAL this morning and inquired about the "Priority Guest Support". The rep I spoke with was helpful in answering my general questions, but restated that because I booked through AA, they were unable to even document anything in their system regarding my accommodations. The rep stated that the only thing noted in the system was "needs a wheelchair". She said more information needed to be provided. I informed her that I provided all that info to AA, but she didn't have record of it, which is my concern. I want to avoid arriving to my flight, only to find out that accommodations are not in place due to lack of communication between AA and JAL. The JAL rep was unable to see any notification of a lack of a jetway, as I was told yesterday, at either location. The JAL rep did say if I had booked directly with JAL, that they would be able to document the accommodations themselves, and provide seat assignment. Just not sure if peace of mind is worth the $400 price difference, or if I'm just worrying too much, and should trust the process.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:05 am

I contacted JAL this morning and inquired about the "Priority Guest Support". The rep I spoke with was helpful in answering my general questions, but restated that because I booked through AA, they were unable to even document anything in their system regarding my accommodations. The rep stated that the only thing noted in the system was "needs a wheelchair". She said more information needed to be provided. I informed her that I provided all that info to AA, but she didn't have record of it, which is my concern. I want to avoid arriving to my flight, only to find out that accommodations are not in place due to lack of communication between AA and JAL. The JAL rep was unable to see any notification of a lack of a jetway, as I was told yesterday, at either location. The JAL rep did say if I had booked directly with JAL, that they would be able to document the accommodations themselves, and provide seat assignment. Just not sure if peace of mind is worth the $400 price difference, or if I'm just worrying too much, and should trust the process.
Did you ask them to do a conference call with AA so they could put exactly what they need on the record?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately AA's disability services does not open until 10 am est, so they could not.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I spoke with AA's disability office, and they took some additional information, however I was still not able to do a seat assignment. I was given the JAL reservation #, but when I inputed my info into JAL's website, I receive a "no itinerary found" message.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:46 am

I spoke with AA's disability office, and they took some additional information, however I was still not able to do a seat assignment. I was given the JAL reservation #, but when I inputed my info into JAL's website, I receive a "no itinerary found" message.
You need to enter JL005 as the flight number.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
You need to enter JL005 as the flight number.
Received the same message
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:42 am

Received the same message
Try this link to use the Japan region website: https://ag.5931.jal.co.jp/jalint/feeje.do

If it doesn't work then you are SOL

Also, make sure you don't put spaces in your name if there's one.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you, that worked. Unfortunately it will still not allow me to choose seats.

Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:55 am

Thank you, that worked. Unfortunately it will still not allow me to choose seats.

Please note that there are some restrictions because the reservation made by other than JAL' reservation system.
It might not be updated.
It might not be shown all.
Unable to assign or change your seats through JAL home page.
AA reservation should be able to help assign a seat or at least send in a seat request to JAL. What did they say?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
AA reservation should be able to help assign a seat or at least send in a seat request to JAL. What did they say?
They said they could not. That someone would contact me within 72 hrs of the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.