SIN-JFK. Convince me to choose JL F

Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:14 am
Original Poster

SIN-JFK. Convince me to choose JL F

Have a trip planned SIN-JFK. I can choose either CX or JL. I've flown CX F a number of times and I like it but I've never flown JL F before. The factors I've considered are:
  • Total flight time is about the same but SIN-HKG is 4ish hours vs SIN-NRT/HND which is 6-7ish hours in a J seat.
  • From what I gather, the Pier F lounge is a nicer than the JL F lounge
  • Catering is better on JL
  • Service better on JL
  • CX's seat is bigger
  • Flight timing is around the same +/- 2 hrs

I do want to try JL F for the novelty factor and so I'm looking for some opinions to help sway me towards JL.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:19 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Go with CX then, they need your revenue.

If you enjoy sauna, try JL by all means http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...hot-cabin.html

But what I would suggest is fly NH, you can have F all the way from JFK to SIN.

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 14, 2017 at 4:25 am
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Go with CX then, they need your revenue.

If you enjoy sauna, try JL by all means http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...hot-cabin.html

But what I would suggest is fly NH, you can have F all the way from JFK to SIN.
NH is a few thousand USD more. We have corp rates with CX & JL.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would say go with JAL. The novelty effect will be there.

The JAL food is top notch, and while everyone usually say go for the Japanese, I will fly the flag for the Western menu when it is made by Sugalabo.

The seat may seem very open, but I have never felt a lack of privacy.

The JAL service in J is very nice, though you will need an overnight flight to connect to New York, so you will probably not see that much of what JAL can deliver.
​​​​​
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer

The JAL service in J is very nice, though you will need an overnight flight to connect to New York, so you will probably not see that much of what JAL can deliver.
​​​​​
Not with JL003/004.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by tchron
NH is a few thousand USD more. We have corp rates with CX & JL.
That's really not that much more in terms of F fares. And you get to go for F the entire way too not just the long haul sectors.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Not with JL003/004.
True 50/50. I always want both to be early departures.... Though I do know they are not.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

That's really not that much more in terms of F fares. And you get to go for F the entire way too not just the long haul sectors.
That's what I've been trying to tell the bean counters but they seem to disagree!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would get crystal status with JAL on a single roundtrip.

Roughly 33k FOP if I calculated correctly.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:22 pm

I would say JL F is an experience not to be missed. Both hard and soft products are superb, as has been discussed extensively in many other threads. Plus, complimentary onboard wi-fi and dedicated fast lane immigration (saved me at least 30min during my last trip) are both handy perks.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by sleepro
I would say JL F is an experience not to be missed. Both hard and soft products are superb, as has been discussed extensively in many other threads. Plus, complimentary onboard wi-fi and dedicated fast lane immigration (saved me at least 30min during my last trip) are both handy perks.
you dont' always get free wifi ($18 for 24hrs is cheap though), and JFK doesn't have priority immigration? (unless you have GE). not sure about SIN?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage
you dont' always get free wifi ($18 for 24hrs is cheap though), and JFK doesn't have priority immigration? (unless you have GE). not sure about SIN?
A free WiFi woucher is standard in F on JAL. In direction to Singapore it will probably cover a part of that flights as well as the log in is for 24 hours. Depending on your connection length.

OP was probably referring to NRT, which is not relevant in your case.
​​​​

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 16, 2017 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Booked JL F today.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tchron
Thanks folks. Booked JL F today.
Just stumbled on this thread, having just booked SINJFK on JL myself. In my case, I'm doing the SINHND red-eye in J on the 772, and then HNDJFK will be in F.

Five hour layover, and I have an APEC card. I'm considering shooting into town, though it'll be early on a Saturday. Better simply to stick it out at the airport?

Looking forward to comparing JL and CX F, being much more familiar with the latter.

Best, Jamie
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Enjoy the sauna and bring a change of clothes!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.