JAL Cabin Crew Hierarchy?

Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Currently there are about 6000 flight attendants at JL but only 50-60 are male flight attendants, most male flight attendants are foreign (non-Japan) base. I found one article that last year, 2016, JAL did recruitment of flight attendants in Japan and information has it that there were male accepted during that recruitment.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Bumping an old thread, we had a male senior cabin attendant on the flight from Ho Chi Minh to Narita. That is the first time I have seen that on an international flight.
​​​​​​
The white jacket for the men needs a redesign it looks outdated in style, whereas the beige is much better The women's white jacket is a much better design.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:55 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Bumping an old thread, we had a male senior cabin attendant on the flight from Ho Chi Minh to Narita. That is the first time I have seen that on an international flight.
​​​​​​
The white jacket for the men needs a redesign it looks outdated in style, whereas the beige is much better The women's white jacket is a much better design.
wait for 2020
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by JALPak
wait for 2020
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
If you can find a translated version, there was a Japanese TV drama made called "Attention Please!", which is a dramatized version of what a trainee Cabin Crew goes through in order to earn her wings.....
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
If you can find a translated version, there was a Japanese TV drama made called "Attention Please!", which is a dramatized version of what a trainee Cabin Crew goes through in order to earn her wings.....
That is old TV show, "Attention Please!" was a TV drama aired in 1970! The TV show was hit in Japan and JAL flight attendant job become popular job among young women in Japan. Back then only JAL flew scheduled international flights, ANA flew domestic only on scheduled flight. To fly on international routes like did on the TV show "Attention Please!" it had to be JAL flight attendant back then, not ANA nor JAS.

Back in 1970s rank of flight attendants in JAL was: Stewardess - Assistant Purser - Purser - Chief Purser. Women were only allowed on stewardess and assistant purser. Back then JAL hired male cabin crew specifically to be trained to work as a purser and a chief purser. JAL had first female purser on 1971 and first female chief purser came about on 1981.

P.S.

If we talk about TV drama with JAL background, then we cannot forget 1983 Japanese TV drama「スチュワーデス物語」(Stewardess Story). This TV drama was based on a novel and had full support of JAL during filming on the drama. However, a director of this TV drama had very different view with exaggerated expression (along with over acting which was asked by the director) and little too much plot twist even for TV drama world. Actors in the drama now admits they were little confused about the direction of the director back then. This TV drama came out far different than the original novel on the book. Once I heard a Japanese comedian saying that you have to see this TV drama as a comedy, after that I understood this TV drama better.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Apr 26, 2019 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
That is old TV show, "Attention Please!" was a TV drama aired in 1970! The TV show was hit in Japan and JAL flight attendant job become popular job among young women in Japan. Back then only JAL flew scheduled international flights, ANA flew domestic only on scheduled flight. To fly on international routes like did on the TV show "Attention Please!" it had to be JAL flight attendant back then, not ANA nor JAS.
There's also a 2006 remake of Attention Please! as well.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jinxed_K
There's also a 2006 remake of Attention Please! as well.
Yeah, but when talking about Attention Please! we have to talk about the original version on 1970. Remake 2006 version was not a flop but just did not have same impact.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
wait for 2020
Did they make a final selection for the new uniforms for JAL?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Did they make a final selection for the new uniforms for JAL?
no announcement yet
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
P.S.

If we talk about TV drama with JAL background, then we cannot forget 1983 Japanese TV drama「スチュワーデス物語」(Stewardess Story).
And more recently
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm

Anyone interested, found this 1996 program about JAL flight attendants. You can see a crew take off and go from Tokyo to Sao Paulo and back over New Years and the program showcases a Londom and Singapore based crew member. No English unfortunately. If I had time, would make captions
https://youtu.be/rEa5JTVBup8
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaHa
Anyone interested, found this 1996 program about JAL flight attendants. You can see a crew take off and go from Tokyo to Sao Paulo and back over New Years and the program showcases a Londom and Singapore based crew member. No English unfortunately. If I had time, would make captions
https://youtu.be/rEa5JTVBup8
The 80ies ruled supreme in that generation of uniforms. .. LOL
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:29 am

That is old TV show, "Attention Please!" was a TV drama aired in 1970! The TV show was hit in Japan and JAL flight attendant job become popular job among young women in Japan.
I have seen "Attention Please" (2006) but I would love to see another one (1970)!! I can't find it in youtube. Do you know where it is in youtube??

Last edited by Bluesky; Apr 27, 2019 at 6:30 am Reason: nil
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Yeah, but when talking about Attention Please! we have to talk about the original version on 1970. Remake 2006 version was not a flop but just did not have same impact.
I thought the 2006 version has more impact because it stars Aya Ueto, which was (an I guess still is) a top female artist

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.