Short connection time SIN-HND-JFK

Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Short connection time SIN-HND-JFK

Hi all,
Flight from Singapore arrives 9:40, then flight to US departs 10:30. They are all under the same reservation.

I'm surprised a 50 min connection was offered, because by the time I get off the plane the next flight will be boarding already.

Does anybody have experience with this specific connection?
I'm required a Transit Visa in Japan, so I assume I have to go through immigration even though I'm connecting to another flight? If that's the case most likely I'll miss this connection.

I assume JAL will take responsibility if I miss the connection since they brought that option during booking? Or not? If they do, they are most likely to put me in the next flight (which is only next day) or reroute using AA?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by igorjrr
Hi all,
Flight from Singapore arrives 9:40, then flight to US departs 10:30. They are all under the same reservation.

I'm surprised a 50 min connection was offered, because by the time I get off the plane the next flight will be boarding already.

I'm required a Transit Visa in Japan, so I assume I have to go through immigration even though I'm connecting to another flight? If that's the case most likely I'll miss this connection.

I assume JAL will take responsibility if I miss the connection since they brought that option during booking? Or not? If they do, they are most likely to put me in the next flight (which is only next day) or reroute using AA?

Thanks!
No, you don't need a transit visa.

JL will only take responsibility if it is their fault that you miss the connected flight. E.g. If the flight arrives early and you miss the flight because you were too busy shopping, then I don't think it is reasonable for any airline to reroute you for free in this case. Not saying they won't, just don't count on it that they will.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
No, you don't need a transit visa.

JL will only take responsibility if it is their fault that you miss the connected flight. E.g. If the flight arrives early and you miss the flight because you were too busy shopping, then I don't think it is reasonable for any airline to reroute you for free in this case. Not saying they won't, just don't count on it that they will.
I don't even consider possible any shopping. I was just thinking about the time to deplane and reach the next gate. Considering the doors close approx 20-30 minutes before departure, that leaves me less than 30 minutes to do all that...

As a side note, according to the Embassy I do need a transit visa due to my passport/nationality. Probably that will be checked at the origin airport.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I don't even consider possible any shopping. I was just thinking about the time to deplane and reach the next gate. Considering the doors close approx 20-30 minutes before departure, that leaves me less than 30 minutes to do all that...

As a side note, according to the Embassy I do need a transit visa due to my passport/nationality. Probably that will be checked at the origin airport.
You will stay airside all the time at HND. You only need the transit visa if you have to go through immigration and custom which isn't the case for HND int'l-int'l transfer. And if time is tight, JL staff will be waiting for you at the arrival gate. If for whatever reason you still think you need the visa and need to go through immigration, then I suggest you book a different flight instead of hoping the airline will accommodate you.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Even for US departures, JAL will only start boarding 30 minutes before departure in HND,and will probably not close the gate until 10 minutes before. They know you are connecting, so if your Singapore arrival is late they know where to look for you.

Another point is that the schedule on the overnight flights from Singapore is fairly well buffered, so they are often in early.

There is no need to worry about the connection.
​​​​​
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
You will stay airside all the time at HND. You only need the transit visa if you have to go through immigration and custom which isn't the case for HND int'l-int'l transfer. And if time is tight, JL staff will be waiting for you at the arrival gate. If for whatever reason you still think you need the visa and need to go through immigration, then I suggest you book a different flight instead of hoping the airline will accommodate you.
Yes, makes sense! I think I overlooked, and looks like I won't need a Transit Visa (well the name doesn't help right!). In the US you'd need a visa, even staying airside, afaik. Thank you!

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Even for US departures, JAL will only start boarding 30 minutes before departure in HND,and will probably not close the gate until 10 minutes before. They know you are connecting, so if your Singapore arrival is late they know where to look for you.

Another point is that the schedule on the overnight flights from Singapore is fairly well buffered, so they are often in early.

There is no need to worry about the connection.
​​​​​
Thank you for sharing your experience, most likely I won't have any issue. Just too bad I will miss some lounge time in between these flights (which means too many hours inside a plane!).

Both of you helped me to understand better what to expect. Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Hi all,

Thanks!
OP - have you flown this yet? Taking this exact routing next month so curious as to your experience.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
No problem, but you should stay airside.
Even in case of delay, JL may help you somehow.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:44 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by srs507
OP - have you flown this yet? Taking this exact routing next month so curious as to your experience.
50 minutes is more than enough, I walked off flight and there was someone with my name, I had to wait for her and the other passenger on list and then we walked to clear security. The JFK flight usually departs close to gate 112 which is right outside the security and lounge, so in total the transfer took 10 minutes (walking mostly) and I had about 20 minutes to spare in lounge before flight boards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.