Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page > JAL to announce new medium term management plan with new routes on Apr 28 2017

JAL to announce new medium term management plan with new routes on Apr 28 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 17, 2:08 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JALlover
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 9, 17, 11:35 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride View Post
Any chances JL might take advantage of some of the unused HND overnight slots on the Japanese side, such as MNL, HKG, AMS or DXB?
I guess DOH would be better choice, as that is an OW base and should have quite good connection for Middle East and Africa. (Though I think JL and EK codeshare as well?)

As for MNL and HKG, the overnight slot won't really benefit JL. For the short regional ones, it might be better if the flights leave at early evening ex-HND, and arriving back in HND at early morning (like 4 something to 5).
JALlover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 17, 11:48 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,765
Originally Posted by JALlover View Post
I guess DOH would be better choice, as that is an OW base and should have quite good connection for Middle East and Africa. (Though I think JL and EK codeshare as well?)

As for MNL and HKG, the overnight slot won't really benefit JL. For the short regional ones, it might be better if the flights leave at early evening ex-HND, and arriving back in HND at early morning (like 4 something to 5).
DOH would make some sense. Though with two daily flights from QR already, and them rarely being full I don't think there is room for a third. If they did a revenue share and JL took one of the two,it could maybe work.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 2:44 am
  #33  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by JALlover View Post
I guess DOH would be better choice, as that is an OW base and should have quite good connection for Middle East and Africa. (Though I think JL and EK codeshare as well?)

As for MNL and HKG, the overnight slot won't really benefit JL. For the short regional ones, it might be better if the flights leave at early evening ex-HND, and arriving back in HND at early morning (like 4 something to 5).
That could be done. Instead of parking JL735 overnight at HKG, the 788 can just fly back to HND. While the red-eye HND-HKG flight will be used to operate JL736 back to NRT
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 11:51 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
DOH would make some sense. Though with two daily flights from QR already, and them rarely being full I don't think there is room for a third. If they did a revenue share and JL took one of the two,it could maybe work.
Problem would be whether QR would like to give up one of the slot for JL....
JALlover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 12:09 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,108
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
That could be done. Instead of parking JL735 overnight at HKG, the 788 can just fly back to HND. While the red-eye HND-HKG flight will be used to operate JL736 back to NRT
This would work nicely if they can get the slot they want. Hope this can happen.

I find it quite a norm that JL leaves its aircraft at a number of outstations in Asia overnight
JALlover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 4:28 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,765
Maybe they should look at bit at fleet utilisation on the 77Ws. They have 19 that does 7 daily routes, even with a timing that means 2 birds required per route that is still 5 for maintenance, backup, and idling at any given time. A question in that, do they have a route where they would want to add F. And another one would be how much would they need to shuffle the schedule and slot consequences of that to get an extra route or two out of the fleet.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:15 pm
  #37  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Maybe they should look at bit at fleet utilisation on the 77Ws. They have 19 that does 7 daily routes, even with a timing that means 2 birds required per route that is still 5 for maintenance, backup, and idling at any given time. A question in that, do they have a route where they would want to add F. And another one would be how much would they need to shuffle the schedule and slot consequences of that to get an extra route or two out of the fleet.
When did we get the extra 77W? There are only 13 777-300ERs.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:30 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,765
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
When did we get the extra 77W? There are only 13 777-300ERs.
That kind of explains. Will have to look where I saw the number 19, or have my memory capabilities tested...
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:41 pm
  #39  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
That kind of explains. Will have to look where I saw the number 19, or have my memory capabilities tested...
Told you you aren't that far away from the GG card JL had ordered more than 13 but canceled the remaining orders during bankruptcy. That may explain where the 19 came from. But according to my record, there were suppose to be 20 orders total.

http://www.jalflyer.com/2010/07/jal-...777-300er.html
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:56 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,765
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Told you you aren't that far away from the GG card JL had ordered more than 13 but canceled the remaining orders during bankruptcy. That may explain where the 19 came from. But according to my record, there were suppose to be 20 orders total.

http://www.jalflyer.com/2010/07/jal-...777-300er.html
I know I was looking at Boeing's order tally recently, to check the inbound number of 787-9, so I should have seen the 13 mentioned there.

Maybe too much Salon 2004/2006 yesterday? haha
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 6:14 pm
  #41  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I know I was looking at Boeing's order tally recently, to check the inbound number of 787-9, so I should have seen the 13 mentioned there.

Maybe too much Salon 2004/2006 yesterday? haha
Hey JAL got a good deal, a couple of bottles of Salon in exchange for 6 77Ws LOL
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:11 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: yyz
Posts: 1,492
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
NH probably will be a better bet.
Why NH over JL? I'm no airline expert...but NH would mean adding competition to a *A partner (I know, this happens) while JL would add OW competition to a destination with decent AA connectivity (JFK, LGA, PHL, IAD, MIA).
grandgourmand is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:57 am
  #43  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by grandgourmand View Post
Why NH over JL? I'm no airline expert...but NH would mean adding competition to a *A partner (I know, this happens) while JL would add OW competition to a destination with decent AA connectivity (JFK, LGA, PHL, IAD, MIA).
When did *A partner care about competitions among themselves? AC provides much better connectivities compared to AA.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:09 pm
  #44  
jix
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YYZ, NYC
Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, AA Gold, JGC Premier, IHG Platinum, UA Silver
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
When did *A partner care about competitions among themselves? AC provides much better connectivities compared to AA.
I don't think JL works with AC tho, if there's a YYZ route they'll most likely codeshare with WS the same way they do at YVR.
jix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 3:29 pm
  #45  
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,967
Originally Posted by jix View Post
I don't think JL works with AC tho, if there's a YYZ route they'll most likely codeshare with WS the same way they do at YVR.
That's why I said NH has better connectivities.
JALPak is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread