Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade at ORD at the Gate in Terminal 3?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade at ORD at the Gate in Terminal 3?

Will JAL sell upgraded seats to premium economy at ORD in Terminal 3 at the gate? Or can you only do this at the Check-In Counter outside of the security checkpoint?

I'm on an AA/JAL codeshare flight that I booked through JAL website for STL-ORD-NRT. It's too expensive to upgrade in advance so I'm going to try on the day of the flight when the price goes down, if it's still available.

STL-ORD is AA metal arriving in Terminal 3. ORD-NRT is JAL metal departing from Terminal 3 with only a 90 minute stopover.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by froggy2017
Will JAL sell upgraded seats to premium economy at ORD in Terminal 3 at the gate? Or can you only do this at the Check-In Counter outside of the security checkpoint?

I'm on an AA/JAL codeshare flight that I booked through JAL website for STL-ORD-NRT. It's too expensive to upgrade in advance so I'm going to try on the day of the flight when the price goes down, if it's still available.

STL-ORD is AA metal arriving in Terminal 3. ORD-NRT is JAL metal departing from Terminal 3 with only a 90 minute stopover.
Normally it is at check in or in the JAL operated lounges, I have seen it advertised at the gates in Narita as well though. I guess it will be a matter of whether they have the option to process the payment, or even the time to process the payment at the gate in ORD. It can never hurt to ask.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:09 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Normally it is at check in or in the JAL operated lounges, I have seen it advertised at the gates in Narita as well though. I guess it will be a matter of whether they have the option to process the payment, or even the time to process the payment at the gate in ORD. It can never hurt to ask.
90 mins should be enough to clear security assuming there's no delay. I don't know when they usually staff the gate but going to actual ticketing/check-in counter may give you an earlier and better chance of grabbing a PY seat for USD300 esp if Y is oversold.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully, we're on time and we can go to the check-in counter.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Success. There were 3 gate agents who were processing requests. Very easy process.

More helpful info regarding seat assignment: I originally booked an economy N class ticket through JAL's website and listed my AA Advantage loyalty number. I was able to immediately select seats through AA's website on all AA metal legs. No problems selecting seats on JAL's website 72 hours before the JAL legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.