Search

SIN to Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
SIN to Tokyo

planning to go SIN-NRT/HND in Feb 2014.

Just noticed that the JAL 787s are being substituted for 767 on this route.

I am OWE with QF and star gold with TK.

Can OWE pre book exit row or bulkhead seats for free on JAL? Any special treatment for OWE onboard?

JAL will cost around SG$700 in economy and SQ will be SG$1300.

Quite sure SQ will be A380. I have not flown on either A380 or 787.

What are your thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: QFF
They are using 767-300ER's on the NRT/HND-SIN route instead of 787s while a software issue with GEnx-1B engine is worked out. They expect the software patch to be released sometime in late Jan, so it might be back to 787 in Feb.

I didn't have any problems selecting seats on my SIN-HND flight in November.

SQ has 4 flights a day. 2 to NRT, 2 to HND. NRT are both 388, HND is 1x777 and 1x330.
JL has 3 flights, 2 to NRT, 1 to HND. All are 767 (or 787 when the engine software is corrected).

Are you looking at an overnight flight or day flight?

The JL flights have QF codes.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Chucksta
planning to go SIN-NRT/HND in Feb 2014.

Just noticed that the JAL 787s are being substituted for 767 on this route.

I am OWE with QF and star gold with TK.

Can OWE pre book exit row or bulkhead seats for free on JAL? Any special treatment for OWE onboard?

JAL will cost around SG$700 in economy and SQ will be SG$1300.

Quite sure SQ will be A380. I have not flown on either A380 or 787.

What are your thoughts?
No chance of exit rows with JL unless you ask on check in and get lucky. They are for jl elites only. No special treatment.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: QF WP
Can OWE pre book exit row or bulkhead seats for free on JAL?

Any special treatment for OWE onboard?
From my experience, I have been able to select bulkhead aisle seats after I have flown the first sector, but not before. I suspect it doesn't fully recognise OWE until you have flown

Don't expect special treatment, although I would typically say it will be just as special or more than QF FAs
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:40 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
You should be able to pre-select exit row seats if they are available.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think it's possible unless you're on some crazy low fare as I am.
I am booked NRT-SIN/SIN-HND in late Feb (both are still showing as 787's) and have not been able to book seats online or on the phone.

I called and the JAL agent said that my fare class is so low that even OWE's can't get advance seat assignments
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I think it's possible unless you're on some crazy low fare as I am.
I am booked NRT-SIN/SIN-HND in late Feb (both are still showing as 787's) and have not been able to book seats online or on the phone.

I called and the JAL agent said that my fare class is so low that even OWE's can't get advance seat assignments
Yes, tickets booked under N class is not eligible no for advance seat selection. You will only be able to pre-select a seat until OLCI no matter what your status is.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:08 pm

700 is a bargain for that price to fly JAL. I just wish that it's available for travel in March.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:31 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... Any special treatment for OWE onboard?
AFAIK JAL has publicly announced they have abandoned all elite special treatment onboard. In my experience this change in policy was quickly and 100% implemented. (Or was that only domestic?)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by intuition
AFAIK JAL has publicly announced they have abandoned all elite special treatment onboard. In my experience this change in policy was quickly and 100% implemented. (Or was that only domestic?)
The announcement was only about ending elite greetings in Y
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:56 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Aha, yes I knew I seen it and I've noticed the change it immediately in domestic Y.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I've booked a higher fare ~$1000 ex-Sin to Osaka & Tokyo included because it was only $50 more than the cheapest fares to Tokyo only. Allowed to make advance seat selections but the bulkhead or exit rows weren't available. Nonetheless, got to the airport early and requested for them and they were available.

As mentioned above, the software issue should be settled by end of jan and the route should see the introduction of the dreamliners back in feb.

Note: If anyone is flying the route in Jan, do pick flights JL35/36/719/712 as they are often operated by the 65* series birds which have the newer interiors as compared to flight JL710/JL711 which do see the common occurance of the 61* series birds (old interior with small ptv) operating.

Cheers!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
I tried to book SIN-Tokyo again on JAL. The aircraft has changed to 763, and seat map is also for 763.

What is JAL like in economy on 763? I am guessing the seats don't have any in seat entertainment? Is there a communal video screen up the front?

Which lounge does JAL use ex SIN? Can I use SATS premiere check in in SIN with a OWE card?

How is the OWE experience from Tokyo? Which is better, NRT or HND for OWE?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF WP
What is JAL like in economy on 763? I am guessing the seats don't have any in seat entertainment? Is there a communal video screen up the front?

Which lounge does JAL use ex SIN? Can I use SATS premiere check in in SIN with a OWE card?

How is the OWE experience from Tokyo? Which is better, NRT or HND for OWE?
Never done economy class on that 767 on that route but your itinerary should show the IFE unit that is installed for your class.

As OWE, the lounge the use is not so relevant ... use which ever OW you prefer - they all fly from same terminal. But likely the QF/BA lounge may not be open but will depend on what time you fly

For NRT / HND ... OWE experience is same same so pick whatever is more convenient. All things equal I take HND every time
Old Jan 16, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: QFF
JAL uses the SATS lounge. It is upstairs to the left of departure immigration (towards the C gates) between the QF and BA lounges. The CX Skyview lounge is to the right of immigration (towards the D gates).
The other oneworld lounges at SIN (MH and QR) are in other terminals.

NRT vs HND... it really depends on what time your flight is. At HND, there is only the JL lounges. I understand CX is opening a lounge when the international terminal extension opens.
At NRT, there are the JL lounges, AA, QF and CX (there are QR lounges, but not in T2 with the other oneworld members). If you're at NRT, use the JL lounges. Much much better then the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.