Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to switch to Shanghai VIP Lounge (SAA Lounge) at PVG from Nov 1 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:26 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

JAL will shut down Sakura Lounge at PVG from Nov 1 replacing it with the new Shanghai VIP Lounge (SAA Lounge). The new lounge should be better than the current Sakura Lounge offerings.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201610/003991.html
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL will shut down Sakura Lounge at PVG from Nov 1 replacing it with the new Shanghai VIP Lounge (SAA Lounge). The new lounge should be better than the current Sakura Lounge offerings.

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201610/003991.html
Jardin de Jade is actually a pretty nice restaurant (chain); I particularly like their XLB, but the lounge operating company appears to be going with their cheapest possible catering package:

Sample menus available in November:
Beef Noodles;
Sichuan noodles with peppery sauce;
Steamed small meat bun
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:14 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161014_02.html

relocation has been postponed to mid nov
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Used the PVG Sakura Lounge last March. It's pretty mediocre so it's good to see JL jumping onto a better alternative.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
Flying PVG-HND on JL86 (business), thus T1
I am Oneworld Sapphire and also have Priority Pass.
What are my lounge options? And best option?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:01 am

Update: I understand there is only one lounge in total available to me - SAA No.39 Lounge?

Might this be correct? Are there any reviews of this lounge available?

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2017, 8:20 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by EDIer
Update: I understand there is only one lounge in total available to me - SAA No.39 Lounge?

Might this be correct? Are there any reviews of this lounge available?

Thanks
Here are some pictures. It's a decent lounge, there's 2 buffet food counter and a noodle bar. Shower room, change room and locker also available. More space and quiet area is located as you walk in further.

Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:51 pm

Thank you!!!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm flying JAL out of PVG. It seems like I will not have high enough status to use a oneworld lounge, so I'm stuck with the priority pass options. According to their website, that's "First Class Lounge" numbers 9 and 37 (which I'm assuming refer to the gates that they're near?). Are either of these worth my time: like do they have comfortable seating and edible food?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm flying JAL out of PVG. It seems like I will not have high enough status to use a oneworld lounge, so I'm stuck with the priority pass options. According to their website, that's "First Class Lounge" numbers 9 and 37 (which I'm assuming refer to the gates that they're near?). Are either of these worth my time: like do they have comfortable seating and edible food?
The number 9 lounge is in the domestic area, so you only have 37. Which is by gate 18/19. It is nothing special, but it does beat sitting around the terminal. Seating is comfy, the quality of the food more dubious. Generally, lounges in PVG are not very exciting.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I would avoid the airport...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka
It can be difficult if the destination is Shanghai
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The number 9 lounge is in the domestic area, so you only have 37. Which is by gate 18/19. It is nothing special, but it does beat sitting around the terminal. Seating is comfy, the quality of the food more dubious. Generally, lounges in PVG are not very exciting.
Thanks. Yes, my expectations for lounges isn't high in China -- although I 've used the Air China lounge at PEK, and that one was at least an average int'l lounge. I was kind of hoping all the lounges in a big int'l city like Shanghai would be at least acceptable. In any event, given this modest report, I won't arrive hungry.

BTW, if they're not numbered according to gate location, what's the deal with the names? It's almost a spoof on the old Commie naming system ("Food Cooperative Distribution Warehouse No. 216").

Originally Posted by kaka
Yeah, I've been there a few times and haven't loved it. I'm actually fly in from HKG and intentionally booked a flight into SHA (not so much for the quality of the airport, but the more convenient location). Leaving, however, I had no flight choice other than PVG.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. Yes, my expectations for lounges isn't high in China -- although I 've used the Air China lounge at PEK, and that one was at least an average int'l lounge. I was kind of hoping all the lounges in a big int'l city like Shanghai would be at least acceptable. In any event, given this modest report, I won't arrive hungry.

BTW, if they're not numbered according to gate location, what's the deal with the names? It's almost a spoof on the old Commie naming system ("Food Cooperative Distribution Warehouse No. 216").

Yeah, I've been there a few times and haven't loved it. I'm actually fly in from HKG and intentionally booked a flight into SHA (not so much for the quality of the airport, but the more convenient location). Leaving, however, I had no flight choice other than PVG.
You have a higher opinion on the Air China lounge in Beijing than I do.

I don't know what the numbers are, I wonder if it is based in some numbering of the spaces available for retail, lounges, etc. But maybe you are right and there is a joke in there somewhere.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Try take a train. Those lads on the cx forum speaks wuite good of them. And FT doesnt mind them very much, so seems like a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.