Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Unlike London airways, you would be fine
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by bent
Noted that the policy displayed online states they will only be able to through check baggage if the booking across the diff carriers is on a single ticket. In your case above, it is certainly 2 separate tickets. Anyone can confirm if through check was successful?

*Edit:but the 2nd half said they " will continue to honor all tickets, including those with different PNR/booking codes, and make best efforts to provide through check-in service in compliance with the industry rules/procedures to the final destination. "

so i am not sure...
last time at NRT they did through check to JHB
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by bent
Noted that the policy displayed online states they will only be able to through check baggage if the booking across the diff carriers is on a single ticket. In your case above, it is certainly 2 separate tickets. Anyone can confirm if through check was successful?

*Edit:but the 2nd half said they " will continue to honor all tickets, including those with different PNR/booking codes, and make best efforts to provide through check-in service in compliance with the industry rules/procedures to the final destination. "

so i am not sure...
The first part of the link indicates minimum check baggage requirement set by OneWorld. All OneWorld airlines have to least provide indicated check baggage service. The second part of the link indicates JAL policy, where JAL has decided to provide little more of check baggage service beyond what is required by OneWorld policy.
kaka likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 4:33 am

I've booked a MEL-NRT-ORD business ticket on JAL, with the idea of connecting (2.5h connection time) onto an economy AA flight ORD-ATW that I had purchased using miles -- so two separate PNRs.

I know I need to pick bags up in customs, but given I am moving 3x bags and the limit at 70lbs, do you think JAL will allow me to tag the bags to ATW if I show them the separate PNR? Two phone calls to both JAL and AA reps seems to all say no, they can't be tagged, but this forum seems to suggest otherwise. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
oneworld adjusted its policy back in June. Now JAL has finally posted its policy online.

JAL will continue to provide through check-in service between oneworld carriers even if you are on separate PNRs but other oneworld carriers (e.g. CX) may not do the same when you are connecting to JAL on a separate PNR.

JAL - Member airlines of oneworld alliance have changed their minimum requirements for through check-in
Good job, CX does
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kaka

Good job, CX does

But not back in Oct 2016. CX only changed its policy in Jan 2017 to once again check through on separate tickets within the alliance.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Has anyone tried through checking on separate PNRs at BKK, just wondering, being an outstation how clued up they are with it...
Itinerary:
JL BKK-HND
QR HND-DOH-HEL
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lehovec
Has anyone tried through checking on separate PNRs at BKK, just wondering, being an outstation how clued up they are with it...
Itinerary:
JL BKK-HND
QR HND-DOH-HEL
​​​​​​
Since it is the official policy to do so, I would not worry about it.
lehovec likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA
Hi, all!

I'm flying JAL from NRT to YVR, AC from YVR to LAX on one PNR and then AA from LAX to AUS on a separate PNR.

If I'm understanding this correctly, i'll be able to check it from NRT to AUS?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jarza
Hi, all!

I'm flying JAL from NRT to YVR, AC from YVR to LAX on one PNR and then AA from LAX to AUS on a separate PNR.

If I'm understanding this correctly, i'll be able to check it from NRT to AUS?

Thanks!
You should.

Though I am not sure how the customs flow works between US and Canada, and whether that affects anything. The is pre clearance in YVR for US bound flights, right? I don't know what that means for the practicality of luggage when connecting.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:49 pm

Do I have to re-check from connecting from AA to JL in JFK?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Gino Troian
Do I have to re-check from connecting from AA to JL in JFK?
I'm assuming you're originating from another city in the US, transiting in JFK, and traveling to Japan. It really depends on a few things, is this all on 1 ticket or you bought 2 separate tickets between your domestic and international flight? If it's the former, your luggage should be checked through. If it's the later, it depends on carrier's policy whom you bought the ticket with.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
It was asked earlier about a B6 interline but that was a next day flight issue. I arrive in BOS at 1800 and would fly on a second ticket with B6. I know the policy only promises OW tickets, but has anyone had any success with interlining on B6?

EF says they are interline bag partners. Would be nice to not have to pay the bag fee.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rivlinm
It was asked earlier about a B6 interline but that was a next day flight issue. I arrive in BOS at 1800 and would fly on a second ticket with B6. I know the policy only promises OW tickets, but has anyone had any success with interlining on B6?

EF says they are interline bag partners. Would be nice to not have to pay the bag fee.
Even if JAL checks you through, I doubt that will excuse you for the bag fee.

You will need to reclaim the bag for customs clearance when entering the US, and the hand it off to B6 before proceeding. Either there, or at the gate, your bag fee will most likely be collected.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Even if JAL checks you through, I doubt that will excuse you for the bag fee.

You will need to reclaim the bag for customs clearance when entering the US, and the hand it off to B6 before proceeding. Either there, or at the gate, your bag fee will most likely be collected.
Interesting. I have gotten around bag fees before by having a bag tag. Was that luck?

I always assumed the fee is paid to get you a bag tag. Once you have that, they assume payment is made. No?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.