Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 1:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

oneworld adjusted its policy back in June. Now JAL has finally posted its policy online.

JAL will continue to provide through check-in service between oneworld carriers even if you are on separate PNRs but other oneworld carriers (e.g. CX) may not do the same when you are connecting to JAL on a separate PNR.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:50 pm

Nice job JL when every others are now / trying to go the minimum.

Pity that when oneworld first changed the policy back in June 2016, I had a trip right after that change :-( and JL did not do a through check-in on for me separate PNRs.

My itinerary was PVG-HND on JL and HND-LAX on AA. I arrived 4+ hours before the next leg and the AA check-in counter won't open until 3 hours before departure. If JL had issued the boarding pass to me in PVG I can kill my time in the lounge straight instead of standing at the counter for 1+ hours.

Too late for the complaint, and sooner when I go back LAX-NRT on AA and NRT-PVG on JL next year, by that time AA won't honour separate PNRs :-( poor me
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by JALPak
oneworld adjusted its policy back in June. Now JAL has finally posted its policy online.

JAL will continue to provide through check-in service between oneworld carriers even if you are on separate PNRs but other oneworld carriers (e.g. CX) may not do the same when you are connecting to JAL on a separate PNR.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
^

Absolutely good news after a string of bad. (CX ten-abreast, BA shorthaul BoB)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fatboychung
Nice job JL when every others are now / trying to go the minimum.

Pity that when oneworld first changed the policy back in June 2016, I had a trip right after that change :-( and JL did not do a through check-in on for me separate PNRs.

My itinerary was PVG-HND on JL and HND-LAX on AA. I arrived 4+ hours before the next leg and the AA check-in counter won't open until 3 hours before departure. If JL had issued the boarding pass to me in PVG I can kill my time in the lounge straight instead of standing at the counter for 1+ hours.

Too late for the complaint, and sooner when I go back LAX-NRT on AA and NRT-PVG on JL next year, by that time AA won't honour separate PNRs :-( poor me
AA shouldn't have problem interlining to oneworld partners even on separate PNRs. At least according to the wiki on CX board. Did AA recently announce changes to its policy?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:32 pm

AA shouldn't have problem interlining to oneworld partners even on separate PNRs. At least according to the wiki on CX board. Did AA recently announce changes to its policy?
They changed on 1 Sept 2016
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aa-policy.html
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Too bad
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Will JL only interline bags through to Oneworld partners on separate PNRs now, or will they do so for non-alliance partners like AS as well?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: QFF
I'll have to see what they say when I check in at NRT tomorrow morning.
Currently in SYD starting a combined DAS13/DONE3 oneworld RTW holiday.

Total of 4 tickets on the holiday, they had all been booked together under the same PNR, but the PNR was split into 3 when the tickets were issued. So my next 3 flights (SYD-HND, NRT-JFK and JFK-BOS) are each on a different PNR.
While I'll still have to collect bags at JFK, clear CBP and move to T8, if JL issues the AA pass to BOS, it's one less thing to worry about when I get to New York.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: QFF
JAL checked me across PNRs without issue at NRT.
Just gave them the ticket number for the 2nd flight. The agent had to look up a cheat sheet in their notepad to find out how to do it.

Tried to use the connections desk at JFK T1, but the contract agent in front of the desk wouldn't wait for me to find my paperwork and made me leave before I could get to the desk. Had to hand my bag over to AA in T8 myself.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Have a similar issue:
Flying on 2 separate AA awards (2 PNRs) SFO-LAX(AA)-NRT(JL) and then NRT-SYD(JL)-BNE(QF).
Based on AA's new policy it seems that I will not be able to have my luggage checked all the way through; it seems that they will tag it to NRT where I will have to re-check it (immigration/customs/luggage pick up/re-check).
Obviously, I would much rather spend the 2 hr 40 min connection in JL F lounge instead.
Is there any way that JL can "re-tag" my luggage in LAX to go all the way to SYD/BNE without me picking up and rechecking it in NRT?
Any advice appreciated
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Have a similar issue:
Flying on 2 separate AA awards (2 PNRs) SFO-LAX(AA)-NRT(JL) and then NRT-SYD(JL)-BNE(QF).
Based on AA's new policy it seems that I will not be able to have my luggage checked all the way through; it seems that they will tag it to NRT where I will have to re-check it (immigration/customs/luggage pick up/re-check).
Obviously, I would much rather spend the 2 hr 40 min connection in JL F lounge instead.
Is there any way that JL can "re-tag" my luggage in LAX to go all the way to SYD/BNE without me picking up and rechecking it in NRT?
Any advice appreciated
One option could be to ask AA only to check your bag to LAX. Then checking in with JAL they should allow the interlining to QF.

If you are flying F with JL to Sydney, one of the last before it goes away, JL is going to intercept your luggage in LAX and put the appropriate F tag on it, and you might be able to get them to retag it at the same time. But you would probably need to reach the JAL counter before your bag reaches the JAL handling agent.
​​​​
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
One option could be to ask AA only to check your bag to LAX. Then checking in with JAL they should allow the interlining to QF.

If you are flying F with JL to Sydney, one of the last before it goes away, JL is going to intercept your luggage in LAX and put the appropriate F tag on it, and you might be able to get them to retag it at the same time. But you would probably need to reach the JAL counter before your bag reaches the JAL handling agent.
​​​​
Yes, I thought the "simplest" thing would be to check it only into LAX and then re-check it with JL at LAX.
However, AA insists that this is not possible - it has to be tagged to NRT as that is the first PNR itinerary?
How could I be sure that I will reach the JL counter before my luggage goes to JAL agent? OTOH, the way AA moves the luggage it should be a certainty
Can I contact JL now and inform them about this issue?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I thought the "simplest" thing would be to check it only into LAX and then re-check it with JL at LAX.
However, AA insists that this is not possible - it has to be tagged to NRT as that is the first PNR itinerary?
How could I be sure that I will reach the JL counter before my luggage goes to JAL agent? OTOH, the way AA moves the luggage it should be a certainty
Can I contact JL now and inform them about this issue?
If you have enough time between SFO-LAX and LAX-NRT, just tell AA you need to access your luggage during your layover at LAX and you will re-check the luggage at LAX.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:45 pm

If you have enough time between SFO-LAX and LAX-NRT, just tell AA you need to access your luggage during your layover at LAX and you will re-check the luggage at LAX.
If the flight is on time I have 2 hrs 15 min.
I have never heard of this option. Could it really work (especially for both of us?) Do I tell this to AA at SFO or LAX?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

If the flight is on time I have 2 hrs 15 min.
I have never heard of this option. Could it really work (especially for both of us?) Do I tell this to AA at SFO or LAX?
SFO when you check in. It's a valid reason, e.g. I am meeting a friend at LAX and he is giving me some gifts which I have to put into my suitcases, I am meeting someone and I have to give him the wines I checked in, I am buying some cream from Kiehl's at SFO airside so I need to put them in my checked luggages before my NRT flight, etc.

But of course, if your flight is delayed and you missed JAL bag drop cut-off time, you will be responsible.

Last edited by JALPak; Feb 1, 2017 at 5:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.