FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   JL Baggage Questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1781387-jl-baggage-questions.html)

boarding_pass Jul 29, 2016 4:23 am

JL Baggage Questions

Hello!

As I am flying JL Business Class with OW Emerald status, I will be able to bring 4 bags which is handy as I am relocating to Tokyo. I would be carrying 3 boxes, 1 check-in luggage and 1 carry-on (and 1 laptop bag).

Now when I pick these up at the baggage carousel, is it possible to ask for a staff to help me out? I imagine 3 boxes + 1 luggage won't fit in the pushcart. I need to cross customs obviously and then head to either JAL ABC or Takkyubin counter. (side question, which is better/cheaper, ABC or Yamato?)

Any tips to carry these bags/boxes by myself?

AlwaysAisle Jul 29, 2016 10:52 am

I get it from your post that likely you are talking about international arrival situation, not domestic flight? Also, which airport are you inquiring about. JAL does operate international flights from multiple airports in Japan.

Let’s say OP is talking at NRT international arrival, since JAL has most number of international flight out of NRT so chances that OP is talking about NRT is good. After all these years of how many times I have flew through NRT, I never had a situation I needed assist in handling my checked baggage so I never asked nor looked for porter service at international baggage claim at NRT. Nor I cannot recall seeing such at international baggage claim area at NRT. That does not mean porter service at international baggage claim area at NRT does not exist. Anyway, there are free baggage cart at international baggage claim area at NRT, and can use those through customs and into terminal building area.

There is JAL baggage service at international baggage claim area. Although those are for passengers with delayed or missing checked baggage, it does not hurt to ask them if there is porter service at baggage claim area. However, baggage claim area of international arrival is controlled by Japanese customs (Ministry of Finance), not by an airport authority or JAL. So keep in mind that JAL cannot be flexible in assisting you at baggage claim area. Also, Narita Airport Authority does not list porter service at NRT.

As for which Takkyubin service is cheaper, that will be dependent on weight and size of your luggage. Without those information nobody can give you an answer. Also, if delivery address is some rural area of Japan then that can also make difference in cost.

boarding_pass Jul 29, 2016 11:52 am

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the incomplete info!

Yes, Narita Airport.

Final destination is Sagamihara just outside Tokyo. Baggage weight should be more than 25 kilos per bag/box.

CPH-Flyer Jul 29, 2016 5:23 pm

The Narita carts are pretty big, but it will all depend on the size (rather than weight) of the boxes.

There is no porter services in Narita. But this being JAL and Japan, if you ask nicely I am sure they will find a way to help you.

bakaneko85 Jul 30, 2016 7:50 am

I have managed to put 5 large suitcase size bags in 1 cart at NRT so I imagine there shouldn't be any problem for the OP.

virmaior Jul 30, 2016 8:25 am

For bags over 20kg, JAL ABC was a much better deal (I've used both extensively), but I ship my boxes to Hokkaido.