Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Sky Suite detours flight vs Shell Flat Neo direct flight

Old Jun 3, 16, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, RC Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold

Planning a RT SAN-NRT for next year in J. I have already booked the direct flight JL65 from SAN to NRT in order to get there as quickly as possible. On the return flight, however, I am debating between NRT-SAN and NRT-DFW-SAN with a 3-hr layover in DFW. The latter will add a total of 8 hrs extra to the trip. I will have access to Admirals Club at DFW for the layover if needed and DFW-SAN will be in AA F. The only reason I am considering NRT-DFW is that it offers SS8 seats while NRT-SAN is still stuck with Neo for the foreseeable future. I have not flown either products.

Here is my question: Is SS that much better than Neo seats to justify this detour?

Last edited by sleepro; Jun 3, 16 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 3, 16, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, KE, NH, Hilton Diamond
I personally would stick with the direct flight both ways. Adding 8 hours to the trip is not worth the difference between SS8 and Neo.
Old Jun 3, 16, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks. That was my inclination too.
Old Jun 3, 16, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
The NEO seat is not that bad. I would not take a DFW detour to avoid it.

LAX and take a car service to SAN, I might do. But an expensive option.
Flying LAX-SAN is a bit annoying as the layover will be close to 10 times your actual flying time. I would probably only do if the direct was unavailable.
Old Jun 4, 16, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The NEO seat is not that bad. I would not take a DFW detour to avoid it.

LAX and take a car service to SAN, I might do. But an expensive option.
Flying LAX-SAN is a bit annoying as the layover will be close to 10 times your actual flying time. I would probably only do if the direct was unavailable.
Thanks for the reply. You are absolutely right about LAX. Most likely I will book the NRT-SAN direct flight and hope for an updated SS seat by the time of travel (April 2017).
Old Jun 5, 16, 4:36 am

The is a huge hard difference between neo and suite, but soft is essentially the same. I would say it's up to you . I would take a detour for a sky suite. But if you are willing to go from A to B only, neo is perfectly fine.
Old Jun 5, 16, 11:06 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum Pro, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Rewards Silver
NRT-SAN ran as a SS8 on June 1st. I took JL12 the other day, and I will admit, the SS8 product is very nice. If you aren't in a rush, it is very enjoyable. I would consider it.

There is always the chance of the NRT-SAN flight being SS8.
Old Jun 5, 16, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joepercussion1 View Post
NRT-SAN ran as a SS8 on June 1st. I took JL12 the other day, and I will admit, the SS8 product is very nice. If you aren't in a rush, it is very enjoyable. I would consider it.

There is always the chance of the NRT-SAN flight being SS8.

Seriously? NRT-SAN on SS8 now? That would be awesome! Or did you mean Neo?
Old Jun 5, 16, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by sleepro View Post
Seriously? NRT-SAN on SS8 now? That would be awesome! Or did you mean Neo?
That would have an unplanned sub of the aircraft, not a fixed scheduling.
Old Jun 5, 16, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

That would have an unplanned sub of the aircraft, not a fixed scheduling.
Yeah, It must have been an anomaly.

Just out of curiosity, anyone has an educated guess on how soon JL will proceed with replacing/updating the Neo seats for this particular route? I have yet to hear any rumors, let alone official roll out schedule.

Last edited by sleepro; Jun 5, 16 at 5:26 pm
Old Jun 5, 16, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sleepro View Post
Yeah, It must have been an anomaly.

Just out of curiosity, anyone has an educated guess on how soon JL will proceed with replacing/updating the Neo seats for this particular route? I have yet to hear any rumors, let alone official roll out schedule.
There is only 1 787-8 left to be delivered, so it will be somewhere down the line as the remaining 16 787-9 are delivered. Only one is scheduled for 2016, so a good guess is nothing is going to happen until somewhere in 2017 as earliest option.

However, with a daytime slot to the US from Haneda, and potentially bringing F to DFW from the winter schedule, we may see a bigger shake up of plane allocations from end October.
Old Jun 6, 16, 12:19 am

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
There is only 1 787-8 left to be delivered, so it will be somewhere down the line as the remaining 16 787-9 are delivered. Only one is scheduled for 2016, so a good guess is nothing is going to happen until somewhere in 2017 as earliest option.

However, with a daytime slot to the US from Haneda, and potentially bringing F to DFW from the winter schedule, we may see a bigger shake up of plane allocations from end October.
The last/25th 787-8 with registration #JA845J is due to arrive this end of the month and I think this has already been allocated for the additional NRT-DME frequency starting July 1st.

As for the 787-9s, only 4 frames are scheduled to be delivered until Mar2017 with the following deliveries: Jul, Nov, Feb, Mar/Apr. So unless there is a big revamp, I agree with CPH-Flyer that NRT-SAN/YVR and KIX-LAX might take a while to get upgraded until sometime after FY2017.

As for the AM HND flights from Oct, some news outfits reported last week that JL was not allowed by JCAB/MILT to fly to JFK/ORD due to existing restrictions as part of the rehabilitation process and so only the current flights - SFO/HNL will be moved in the morning. JL is said to be looking at Oct 2017 to offer HND-JFK/ORD after restrictions end by Mar31st.
Old Jun 6, 16, 4:05 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum Pro, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Rewards Silver

Although F would be a nice option, it would be sad to see DFW lose the 787. It is such a comfortable ride.
Old Nov 12, 17, 3:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Any updates?

Originally Posted by musashino22 View Post
The last/25th 787-8 with registration #JA845J is due to arrive this end of the month and I think this has already been allocated for the additional NRT-DME frequency starting July 1st.

As for the 787-9s, only 4 frames are scheduled to be delivered until Mar2017 with the following deliveries: Jul, Nov, Feb, Mar/Apr. So unless there is a big revamp, I agree with CPH-Flyer that NRT-SAN/YVR and KIX-LAX might take a while to get upgraded until sometime after FY2017.

As for the AM HND flights from Oct, some news outfits reported last week that JL was not allowed by JCAB/MILT to fly to JFK/ORD due to existing restrictions as part of the rehabilitation process and so only the current flights - SFO/HNL will be moved in the morning. JL is said to be looking at Oct 2017 to offer HND-JFK/ORD after restrictions end by Mar31st.
Sorry, I know this thread is old but I am flying LAX-KIX next September. Has anyone heard any new information on when the 788's will be updated to the sky suite? I thought with JAL removing two rows of J it would be a good time to install the new seats.

Thank you for any updates.
Old Nov 12, 17, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DontlikeY View Post
Sorry, I know this thread is old but I am flying LAX-KIX next September. Has anyone heard any new information on when the 788's will be updated to the sky suite? I thought with JAL removing two rows of J it would be a good time to install the new seats.

Thank you for any updates.
There is currently no announced plans to update the NEO equipped 787-8. When they remove the two rows it is not part of the plan to change the J seats to a newer generation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: