Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL to add AS as codeshare and FFP partner from June 29 2016

Old May 10, 2016, 3:21 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201605/003781.html

With the new codeshare agreement, scheduled to take effect June 29, pending government approval (official commencement date of the mileage partnership will be announced shortly), customers who fly Alaska Airlines and JAL will be provided with:
リ seamless reservations and ticketing
リ one-stop check-in and thru-checked baggage to JL/AS final destination
リ smooth flight connections
リ mileage accrual and award redemption opportunities
リ superior customer service standards
Old May 10, 2016, 3:32 am

Wonder what Alaska award rates on JL would be
Old May 10, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Oops looks like FFP partnership commencement date is TBD instead of Jun 29
Old May 10, 2016, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Just when I thought the AA kind of partially address the ridiculously cheap award redemption situation in the US, JAL adds AS as another partner...Hopefully their award availability is more limited than the rest of oneworld partners.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

It will likely be at AA's new award levels. So nothing like 70K for a one-way US to Asia First Class, more like 110-120K each way unless it's direct flight to the U.S./Japan with no onward connection. I think the AS members will be not so pleasantly surprised when they find out the award cost will be a lot higher than what they think it would be.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Interesting move as AS has ended interline agreement with NH not long ago, then starting codeshare with JL.

AS has always being independent airlines without joining an alliance, AS saying wants to do code share type with any airlines on specific routes and flights which benefit AS rather than working with one specific alliance.

Over at AA forum there have been occasional discussion about AA/AS relation, if AS will join OneWorld, etc. AS was not that big partnering with Star Alliance, DL seems to making move at SEA which is a home town of AS where relation with Sky Team partners is being questioned. Beside FF program partner between AA and AS, a lot of codeshare between AA/AS and reciprocal lounge access. Some are saying AS does like AA, and hope that will lead to joining OneWorld…

AS buying VX (Virgin American) then now code share with JL. It is interesting move on AS side.
Old May 16, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Any word on lounge access coming out of the agreement? Trying to figure out how this will work. I have AA PLT. AA has a relationship with AS and with JL via OW. This new love triangle has me wondering...
Old May 16, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
Any word on lounge access coming out of the agreement? Trying to figure out how this will work. I have AA PLT. AA has a relationship with AS and with JL via OW. This new love triangle has me wondering...
You shouldn't expect that
Old May 16, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Expect JAL to start PDX-NRT service soon as Delta is on the way out of PDX-NRT. There will be a lot of AS feed and connections from PDX.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
As a frequent PDX visitor via both SFO and YVR this is music to my ears.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: JAL Diamond
I know this thread is old, but I thought it was the best place to mention this. I just found out that Virgin-operated flights still don't accrue miles even if they're ticketed as Alaska. They're already on a unified operating certificate, so I'm not sure what will make JAL officially consider it the same airline, but I'm looking forward to having the Virgin flights eventually.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Post April 24. Virgin America and Alaska, even though they now share a single operating certificate, still are on different passenger service systems and Virgin America flights are sold/operated as VXxxx (with AS codeshares when sold by Alaska). After 4/24, Virgin America metal will only have ASxxx flight numbers so should be able to credit to JMB.

*All flights marketed by Alaska and operated by Alaska(AS), Horizon Air(QX), SkyWest Airlines(OO) , and Pen Air(KS) are eligible.

*Codeshare flights are eligible for mileage accrual only when operated by Japan Airlines with AS flight numbers.

Starting May 21, JAL will be codesharing select former Virgin America routes and additional Alaska routes.
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...share-network/

Last edited by rustykettel; Mar 15, 2018 at 7:23 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: JAL Diamond
Oh, thanks for sharing the details! Good to hear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.