Wiki Posts
Search

737 vs. 767 TPE-NRT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:21 pm
azj
Original Poster

737 vs. 767 TPE-NRT

Aside from narrowbody vs. widebody are there appreciable differences for one in Business class between these 2 planes? For such a short flight, I'm thinking it may not really matter. The 767 flight however, would give me 5 hours in NRT for lounge experiences, compared to the just over 2 hours if I took the later 737 flight.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Originally Posted by azj
Aside from narrowbody vs. widebody are there appreciable differences for one in Business class between these 2 planes? For such a short flight, I'm thinking it may not really matter. The 767 flight however, would give me 5 hours in NRT for lounge experiences, compared to the just over 2 hours if I took the later 737 flight.
I believe on the 737 flight, you get to experience one of the oldest "vintage" Business Class seats in the region, with monitors barely visible that you will just close your eyes and get a good rest. It will probably also be quieter as most others would choose the 767 flight.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ycc777
I believe on the 737 flight, you get to experience one of the oldest "vintage" Business Class seats in the region, with monitors barely visible that you will just close your eyes and get a good rest. It will probably also be quieter as most others would choose the 767 flight.
Both the 737 and 767 doing TPE NRT currently are listed as having the same Skyluxe seat. Sp I guess you should go for the timing or pricing that works best for you.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:27 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Both the 737 and 767 doing TPE NRT currently are listed as having the same Skyluxe seat. Sp I guess you should go for the timing or pricing that works best for you.
Thanks, just as I thought. In the end, I booked the later flight on the 737, which is better timed for me. It still leaves over 2 hours to enjoy the lounge in NRT.

Any idea if we can visit the Cathay lounge in TPE flying J class on JAL?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
ok my bad. I must be lucky to get a newer 767 last time. JAL is at Terminal 2, but Cathay is at Terminal 1. You will be invited to a lounge at Terminal 2. I personally like the one at Terminal 2.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:35 pm
azj
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ycc777
ok my bad. I must be lucky to get a newer 767 last time. JAL is at Terminal 2, but Cathay is at Terminal 1. You will be invited to a lounge at Terminal 2. I personally like the one at Terminal 2.
Last time I flew Cathay through NRT, they were in T2 with JAL. Have they moved?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by azj
Last time I flew Cathay through NRT, they were in T2 with JAL. Have they moved?
You were asking about the Cathay lounge in TPE... In NRT they are both in T2. However, the CX lounge in NRT is not really worth the time. Go for the JL lounge.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:46 pm
azj
Original Poster

You were asking about the Cathay lounge in TPE... In NRT they are both in T2. However, the CX lounge in NRT is not really worth the time. Go for the JL lounge.
You're right! I forgot what I was even asking. Thanks, I'll stick with the JL lounge in NRT and whatever lounge JL offers in TPE.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:54 am

Just an FYI, I believe the 767 service that the OP referenced is being upgraded to a 787 with much better seats sometime this year.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
The 767 can't be switched out fast enough if you ask me. What a dinosaur. It's a poor product for what can sometimes stretch to an extremely long NRT-TPE flight.

The CX lounge in TPE is in Terminal 1, while the JL lounge is in Terminal 2. It's probably a brisk 10-minute walk between the two. Given that the CX lounge was redone last year and I think is a top-notch product, I think the walk is worth it if you have an hour to spend at the lounge. The JL lounge in TPE, while convenient to its gates, is not an impressive offering.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaotze
The 767 can't be switched out fast enough if you ask me. What a dinosaur. It's a poor product for what can sometimes stretch to an extremely long NRT-TPE flight.

The CX lounge in TPE is in Terminal 1, while the JL lounge is in Terminal 2. It's probably a brisk 10-minute walk between the two. Given that the CX lounge was redone last year and I think is a top-notch product, I think the walk is worth it if you have an hour to spend at the lounge. The JL lounge in TPE, while convenient to its gates, is not an impressive offering.
The Sky Luxe seats are ancient, but the newer Sky Recliners are not better (similar to the domestic F seats). So unless the 787 takes over, there is not much hope for better seats. But it does seem that a 787 is taking over from the autumn. (maybe earlier?)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:20 am

The Sky Luxe seats are ancient, but the newer Sky Recliners are not better (similar to the domestic F seats). So unless the 787 takes over, there is not much hope for better seats. But it does seem that a 787 is taking over from the autumn. (maybe earlier?)
The equipment on JL #809/802 is scheduled to be upgraded to the 787 with Shell Flat Neo seating as of July 1st. Not fully flat, but still a significant improvement over the existing 767 equipment.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
IMHO, NRT-TPE doesn't need a fully flat seat, so the Shell Flat Neo will be fine. I don't know what sort of profits this route generates (although the planes typically seem quite full), but TPE has long seemed to get the short end of the stick on aircraft assigned to it by JL.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travel4b
The equipment on JL #809/802 is scheduled to be upgraded to the 787 with Shell Flat Neo seating as of July 1st. Not fully flat, but still a significant improvement over the existing 767 equipment.
Originally Posted by jiaotze
IMHO, NRT-TPE doesn't need a fully flat seat, so the Shell Flat Neo will be fine. I don't know what sort of profits this route generates (although the planes typically seem quite full), but TPE has long seemed to get the short end of the stick on aircraft assigned to it by JL.
Surprisingly, JL 811/812 NRT-KHH will get Sky Suite II later this year according to the schedule: http://www.5931.jal.co.jp/rsvInter/S...M_LANGUAGE=eng

This is even better than Shell Flat Neo, even HKG doesn't get Sky Suite II. Something is up at JAL HQ re: aircraft utilization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.