Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Op-ups

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Any anecdotes of JL upgrading AA or BA elites?

I've been given op-ups several times on NH as a UA elite years ago.
I was op'd up once intra asia, CGK to NRT from Y to the skysuite business class. I am AA Explt, so oneworld emerald flying on an AA ticket stock.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Any anecdotes of JL upgrading AA or BA elites?

I've been given op-ups several times on NH as a UA elite years ago.
It happens, but usually they will look for the JL elites first. And there is basically always a long list of elites in Y. And to begin with upgrades themselves are pretty rare. No op-ups unless they actually need the seat in Y.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:00 pm

I got upgraded from Y to C on my last trip as AA PLT (SAN-NRT). Like others, I was found in the lounge. So that's 1 out of 4 legs flown in the last year.

Must've been a really slow day for them to come find little old me.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, DL
Years and years ago (10 years, I think) when I had no elite status with JL and barely had any miles in my JL account, we flew from NRT - SFO in economy. We went up to the counter an hour before the departure time and asked if we could have "better seats." By sheer luck, we were upgraded to the business class. It was wonderful, to say the least.

About 4 years ago, I was a Sapphire level with BA and we were flying in economy from TSA to HND and from HND to SFO in premium economy. After we checked in at TSA, we found that we were oped up to the business class from HND - SFO. We were two happy campers!! I think that JL oversold economy seats and that was why we got upgraded.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got 4 op-up's between BKK-NRT this year.

For reference. 3/4 happened at check-in and once when I was entering the lounge at NRT
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:37 am

How would JL handle its own OW Ruby against a partner's OW Emerald in op-up?

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I didn't want to create a new thread...

Situation:
  • JMB Crystal (OW Ruby); also AA EXP (OW Emerald)
  • About to book PY--JFK/HND on JL in late July
  • Traveling alone
  • 1 PY seat left JFK-HND; 2 PY seats left HND-JFK
  • Both PY & Y seem almost sold out but C looks pretty open...screams "op-up!"

Question:
To maximize chances of op-up, should I use my JMB Crystal (OW Ruby) or AA EXP (OW Emerald) when booking?

Thanks in advance for any input you might be able to give. I've found very little info on op-up pecking orders on JL.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by nyc10036
How would JL handle its own OW Ruby against a partner's OW Emerald in op-up?

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I didn't want to create a new thread...

Situation:
  • JMB Crystal (OW Ruby); also AA EXP (OW Emerald)
  • About to book PY--JFK/HND on JL in late July
  • Traveling alone

Question:
To maximize chances of op-up, should I use my JMB Crystal (OW Ruby) or AA EXP (OW Emerald) when booking?

Thanks in advance for any input you might be able to give. I've found very little info on op-up pecking orders on JL.
The pecking order is fairly undescended as op-ups are pretty uncommon. My best guess is that Ruby would beat EXP, but expect there to be some Diamonds and JGC Premier members in Y that beats Ruby.

But experience, your situation does not scream op-up. I have been on booking class Y several times with a similar cabin distribution without any upgrade. JAL does seem very good at managing this. Partly also because JMB members can upgrade at check-in for miles, and that does seem fairly popular.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nyc10036
Are you going off of JAL's seatmap or a tool like ExpertFlyer that shows fare buckets and blocked vs assigned seats? JAL blocks a lot of Y seats and some PY seats until online check in/airport control/departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.