Int'l to Domestic Baggage Allowance

Old Feb 21, 16, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Int'l to Domestic Baggage Allowance

Revenue YVR-NRT-HKG in J. Stopping over at NRT.

If I use Asia Miles or Avios to redeem a separate ticket, say NRT-KIX-NRT or NRT-CTS-NRT on JL metal,

a) Will I be able to have it checked all the way to KIX (or CTS) when checking in at YVR?
b) Will I be able to follow my transpac's weight allowance?

assuming b) is okay, what about when I do
c) KIX -> NRT -> HKG?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 16, 1:25 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JordanWalker View Post
Revenue YVR-NRT-HKG in J. Stopping over at NRT.

If I use Asia Miles or Avios to redeem a separate ticket, say NRT-KIX-NRT or NRT-CTS-NRT on JL metal,

a) Will I be able to have it checked all the way to KIX (or CTS) when checking in at YVR?
b) Will I be able to follow my transpac's weight allowance?

assuming b) is okay, what about when I do
c) KIX -> NRT -> HKG?

Thanks.
Can't say I have tried, but my expectation would be
A) Certainly yes
B) Certainly yes
C) Very likely yes

For C just make sure to go to the counter for international connections when checking in.
Old Feb 22, 16, 4:46 am

Programs: JL QF NZ
A) While the answer is yes, note that you have to pick up your bag at NRT, clear customs and then recheck your bag at the domestic check-in.

Be wary if you have a JL6xxx flight number for the domestic flights as this means it is operated by Jetstar Japan and then it's a whole different ballgame.
Old Feb 22, 16, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 777Cat3b View Post
A) While the answer is yes, note that you have to pick up your bag at NRT, clear customs and then recheck your bag at the domestic check-in.
Thanks. To clarify, so I basically have to pick up my luggage, go back landside...domestic check-in, and then air-side again. No transit facilities?

Be wary if you have a JL6xxx flight number for the domestic flights as this means it is operated by Jetstar Japan and then it's a whole different ballgame.
Was originally looking to do JL 017 arriving 16:30 then connect to JL 3007 NRT-ITM at 18:25. Fares are approximately 22,000 yen r/t or 9,000 Avios.

or maybe I should just take Peach for 36xx yen each way + any luggage cost.
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:27 pm

Programs: JL QF NZ
There is no transit from International to Domestic. This is fairly standard in most countries as you need to formally pass through customs formalities with your bags. On the way out (i.e. leaving the country) though you can check straight through as there is no outbound customs check.

You could take Peach, but be aware they operate from a different terminal at NRT. JAL is Terminal 2, Peach is Terminal 1, so you will need to allow time to get between terminals. For ease of transfer, JAL or Jetstar Japan will be easier. Jetstar Japan leave from Terminal 3 (the LCC terminal), which is a 10 minute walk away, but they have a check-in counter in the arrival area of Terminal 2.

If you use JAL and use the Japan Explorer Pass or Yokoso Pass, the ticket will be issued in conjunction with your international ticket, so that will give you some protection in case of a delay. Not so if you have Peach or Jetstar though. The cheap fares are use it or lose it.
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:51 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, QR Burgundy, AF Ivory
For ease of transfer, JAL or Jetstar Japan will be easier. Jetstar Japan leave from Terminal 3 (the LCC terminal), which is a 10 minute walk away, but they have a check-in counter in the arrival area of Terminal 2.
Sorry to revive this thread. You mention that GK has a check-in counter at T2 arrivals, but I can't corroborate that info elsewhere. I'm doing a JL international - GK domestic transfer next month, and it'd be lovely if I could drop the bags off in T2 and grab some breakfast there before walking over to T3. Could you clarify if this is indeed true, and if so, kindly elaborate on where to find this check-in counter?
Old Mar 26, 18, 11:36 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cowie View Post
Sorry to revive this thread. You mention that GK has a check-in counter at T2 arrivals, but I can't corroborate that info elsewhere. I'm doing a JL international - GK domestic transfer next month, and it'd be lovely if I could drop the bags off in T2 and grab some breakfast there before walking over to T3. Could you clarify if this is indeed true, and if so, kindly elaborate on where to find this check-in counter?
its gone
NARITA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT Terminal 2/Domestic flight (Airport guide) - JAL International Flights
Old Mar 26, 18, 8:17 pm

Programs: SQ QPPS, QR Burgundy, AF Ivory
Thanks Kaka. I figured as much.
Old Apr 8, 18, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Can't say I have tried, but my expectation would be
A) Certainly yes
B) Certainly yes
C) Very likely yes

For C just make sure to go to the counter for international connections when checking in.
the good answer