Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL 787 San Diego - SkySuite?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
So I went with JAL.
The flight is almost a year from now, and already almost half the seats are taken.

I looked at another thread, and it seems like the desirable choices are:
- A/K on bulkhead row (1,7)
- Front cabin (1~3) rather than second cabin (7~10).
I also understand that, when the non-bulkhead seat is fully reclined, the seat takes up the entire legroom and the footwell... which deprives you of any space where you can keep your stuff seatside(?).

1 A/C & H/K are all taken.
Should I go with 7K, 1 A/G or 2 A/G?

I need aisle access without disturbing my neighbor.
7K could be stinky and is located in the second cabin (but has window which would be nice), 1A/G and 7K run the small risk of a baby next to me, 2A/G are non-bulkhead.
1A or 1G.

1A has space enough to get out without disturbing the neighbour, even when the seat is fully reclined.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1A or 1G.

1A has space enough to get out without disturbing the neighbour, even when the seat is fully reclined.
Oops, I meant to say 1D/G. 1A is taken. (will edit my post now).
But based on what you're saying, 1G > 7K?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Oops, I meant to say 1D/G. 1A is taken. (will edit my post now).
But based on what you're saying, 1G > 7K?
I would prefer being further forward, the further forward the more quiet the cabin. Departing from San Diego the K side usually gives very nice views of the west coast. As for the Aleutian Islands, it is a bit random if the good views are A or K. But I would still take 1 over 7.

PS the seats are not taken, they are blocked for higher status or higher fare passengers.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would prefer being further forward, the further forward the more quiet the cabin. Departing from San Diego the K side usually gives very nice views of the west coast. As for the Aleutian Islands, it is a bit random if the good views are A or K. But I would still take 1 over 7.
Thanks a lot. I will grab 1D/G then.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:04 pm

Neo-shell replaced with lie-flat?!

Maybe this was already mentioned somewhere else and I missed it. If so, I apologize.

But I lost my seat assignment in J for my trip next year, and so I started researching to see what new seat I should research. It looks like it's now a lie flat?!
I can no longer find any info on Neo Shell on JAL website, and seatguru indicates JAL Suite for the seat config identical to SAN-NRT.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:08 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Maybe this was already mentioned somewhere else and I missed it. If so, I apologize.

But I lost my seat assignment in J for my trip next year, and so I started researching to see what new seat I should research. It looks like it's now a lie flat?!
I can no longer find any info on Neo Shell on JAL website, and seatguru indicates JAL Suite for the seat config identical to SAN-NRT.
Funny you would rather posted here instead of reading the 10th thread on the main page before your post LOL

NRT-YVR and NRT-SAN will get SKY SUITE upgrade in FY2019
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak

Funny you would rather posted here instead of reading the 10th thread on the main page before your post LOL

Omg very sorry.
I did a search and didn't find anything on this, but I guess I did not look through the thread list carefully enough.
Will post a follow-up question to this in the above or another appropriate thread.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Great news that SAN finally gets lie-flat all-aisle access J seats!
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
Great news that SAN finally gets lie-flat all-aisle access J seats!
You need to thank SEA
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:00 pm

Congrats! You've finally caught up to the announcement made more than a month ago
Yes, indeed. Shockingly, while I do have an interest in the route, I do not regularly scan the FT JAL forum threads, nor do I subscribe to any announcements from JAL. However, as this thread is specific to the route, I am subscribed to it and so just learned of this. Up to now, I have avoided booking SAN on JL because of the old J seats. Now that I know, albeit belatedly, that it will have upgraded seats, I may book it in future. But thank you for the sarcasm, please rest assured I feel the precisely appropriate level of reprobation.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:01 pm

Not that funny, given that this thread is specific to the route.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 5:02 pm

You need to thank SEA
If SEA was cut, I am sorry for their loss.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
If SEA was cut, I am sorry for their loss.
It was not cut, it was launched. Which seems to have triggered an expansion of the number of Sky Suite equipped planes and a change of the rotation patterns.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:10 pm

I had to assign myself an aisle seat. Because, even 5-6 hrs before the flight, every window seat was blocked/occupied. Then after takeoff, I noticed there was no one sitting in 2A. So I asked an FA if I could switch and got an okay. I roamed the cabin and saw that only 2 out of 12 seats were taken in the second J cabin (2 out of 4 windows were available). It's weird that they never release window seats (to non-elites, I presume) even during check-in.

I liked window suite better due to more privacy and the windows (but absolutely nothing to see from ~30min after takeoff until ~30sec before landing at overcast NRT), and it was surprisingly easy to get the attention of the passing FA's who seemed to always be on the lookout for any aisle suite pax needing any assistance. The good thing about the aisle suite (at least the aisle seat next to window seat), though, is that you have an additional fairly large storage area right next to your seat. You do not get this in the window suite... instead what you get is a small basket of a storage space above/behind your seat which is a lot more limited and harder to reach.

Chose Western meal, but the Western and Japansese choices shared the same appetizers and dessert which were all too esoteric for my taste. The Western entree (fish) was small portion but really good. I actually really enjoyed on-demand choices much more. I ended up ordering 3 different things (crab taquitos, rigatoni, chicken teriyaki type thing). I wonder if you're allowed to keep ordering as many times as you wished. I felt like a pig ordering 3 different things. I saw some Internet pics showing snack section in the galley with macarons. Alas I never saw macarons... just rice crackers, truffles and packaged Jucheim baumkuchen.

J cabin was overall barely half full, whereas economy seemed at least 85% full. It's great to see what seemed like a healthy load factor on this flight (which I hope lasts forever), although all the empty seats in premium class might be indicative of lack of business travelers on this route?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
all the empty seats in premium class might be indicative of lack of business travelers on this route?
Or perhaps a lag as people still associate angle flats with this route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.