JAL 787 San Diego - SkySuite?

Old Aug 15, 18, 10:13 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Thanks. How bad is it for a couple? I haven't flown it since JL first got the 787, so my memory is fuzzy. Lie-flat, but paired, so window seat has to climb over aisle? Very few cubbies to store items for handy access during flight?
If you can get a pair in the middle no climbing if you can get a window pair in row 1 or 7, there is space enough to not need to climb over.

I find the seats OK for sleeping, though I always try to be in either row 1 or 7,as the bulkhead rows are better than the others.
Old Aug 19, 18, 12:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH G
Originally Posted by anabolism View Post
Thanks. How bad is it for a couple? I haven't flown it since JL first got the 787, so my memory is fuzzy. Lie-flat, but paired, so window seat has to climb over aisle? Very few cubbies to store items for handy access during flight?
We were in J on NRT-SAN in March. It is not lie-flat. It is lie-almost-flat, which I found exasperating as just about every time I started to drift off I woke up because I was sliding down the seat. Window does have to step over the aisle, but that isn't too difficult. Didn't have an issue with places to store items, but then again we didn't have a whole lot of things besides tablets and various accessories out.
Old Aug 20, 18, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman View Post
We were in J on NRT-SAN in March. It is not lie-flat. It is lie-almost-flat, which I found exasperating as just about every time I started to drift off I woke up because I was sliding down the seat. Window does have to step over the aisle, but that isn't too difficult. Didn't have an issue with places to store items, but then again we didn't have a whole lot of things besides tablets and various accessories out.

They are called Angle FLAT seats, but the service is stil typical JAL.
Old Aug 20, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH G
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
They are called Angle FLAT seats, but the service is stil typical JAL.
Yep - was just responding to the post I quoted that referred to them as "lie-flat" seats. They are flat, but definitely at an angle as you indicate.
Old Aug 20, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it.
Old Sep 6, 18, 1:44 am

Programs: United, Hilton
JL ex-SAN vs AA ex-DFW to NRT in Business

Flying from SEA-NRT and trying to decide between these two options. Total travel time is identical.

JAL ex-SAN is this Neo Shell.
AA ex-DFW is supposed to be lie-flat, either Zodiac or B/E Aerospace Super Diamond on 772.

I'm traveling next summer, so I'm not sure what the chances are that the hard product could change by then.
Another variable to consider is that DFW routing involves 1hr45min layover, which is usually plenty but I don't even want a 10% chance of missing the connection.

Although the food's probably better on JAL, I'm considering AA because I'd really like privacy if I'm paying for J.

My priority:
1). Meal quality (I don't like red meat or cheese) + better on-demand snack options.
2). More privacy.
3). Seat comfort (would like to sleep at least 4-5 hrs solid).
4). Better Japanese IFE programming (I only watch Japanese programs).

I'd say 1>>2>3>>>>4

Which would you go for?
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Flying from SEA-NRT and trying to decide between these two options. Total travel time is identical.

JAL ex-SAN is this Neo Shell.
AA ex-DFW is supposed to be lie-flat, either Zodiac or B/E Aerospace Super Diamond on 772.

I'm traveling next summer, so I'm not sure what the chances are that the hard product could change by then.
Another variable to consider is that DFW routing involves 1hr45min layover, which is usually plenty but I don't even want a 10% chance of missing the connection.

Although the food's probably better on JAL, I'm considering AA because I'd really like privacy if I'm paying for J.

My priority:
1). Meal quality (I don't like red meat or cheese) + better on-demand snack options.
2). More privacy.
3). Seat comfort (would like to sleep at least 4-5 hrs solid).
4). Better Japanese IFE programming (I only watch Japanese programs).

I'd say 1>>2>3>>>>4

Which would you go for?
1) No doubt that JAL wins, by a large margin
2) AA wins, though if it is the Zodiac seat with less of a margin than the Super Diamond
3)For lounging and dinner, maybe JAL has an upside a s the seats are wider. For sleeping clearly AA for most people, but I have to say I sleep fine in the NEO seat as long as I am in row 1 or 7 (bulkheads).
4) Clearly JAL
Old Sep 6, 18, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
1) No doubt that JAL wins, by a large margin
2) AA wins, though if it is the Zodiac seat with less of a margin than the Super Diamond
3)For lounging and dinner, maybe JAL has an upside a s the seats are wider. For sleeping clearly AA for most people, but I have to say I sleep fine in the NEO seat as long as I am in row 1 or 7 (bulkheads).
4) Clearly JAL
Thank you!
It seems like it's a close call, but with slight edge to JAL.
How does being on row 1 or 7 help with sleep? I've read that your body can slide down when the NEO Shell seat is fully reclined to sleep mode.
Old Sep 6, 18, 7:51 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Thank you!
How does being on row 1 or 7 help with sleep? I've read that your body can slide down when the NEO Shell seat is fully reclined to sleep mode.
Row 1 and 7 are perfect for sleep. You will pass out from the smell from lavatory esp after @CPH-Flyer finished his business inside
evergrn likes this.
Old Sep 6, 18, 9:10 pm

Thank you!
The Bulkhead seats have far more space. No one needs to climb over a sleeping passenger,, no footwell under the seat in front means more space and easier to find a comfortable position.

You can slide a bit but I don't find it a big problem on the NEO seats. But sure, they are not fully flat.
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
The Bulkhead seats have far more space. No one needs to climb over a sleeping passenger,, no footwell under the seat in front means more space and easier to find a comfortable position.

You can slide a bit but I don't find it a big problem on the NEO seats. But sure, they are not fully flat.
Thanks for the clarification.
I've read people commenting that their bodies keep sliding down and one guy said he just about woke up with his torso on the leg rest. But I guess those were exaggerations maybe.
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

Row 1 and 7 are perfect for sleep. You will pass out from the smell from lavatory esp after @CPH-Flyer finished his business inside
One of the funnier things I've seen on FT in a while. Your humour is right up my alley!

Row 1 is quite a bit removed from the lavatory, though, right? Not sure if I can trust seaguru, but it seems that way on their diagram.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ja...es_787-800.php
Old Sep 6, 18, 10:54 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
One of the funnier things I've seen on FT in a while. Your humour is right up my alley!

Row 1 is quite a bit removed from the lavatory, though, right? Not sure if I can trust seaguru, but it seems that way on their diagram.
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ja...es_787-800.php
yup, row 1 is fine but not row 7. You may smell it once or twice during the flight if you are lucky
Old Sep 6, 18, 11:55 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
I've read people commenting that their bodies keep sliding down and one guy said he just about woke up with his torso on the leg rest. But I guess those were exaggerations maybe.
Those are exaggerations, there is literally no way for one's torso to slide to the leg rest....

​​​​​​
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Sep 7, 18, 11:32 pm

So I went with JAL.
The flight is almost a year from now, and already almost half the seats are taken.

I looked at another thread, and it seems like the desirable choices are:
- A/K on bulkhead row (1,7)
- Front cabin (1~3) rather than second cabin (7~10).
I also understand that, when the non-bulkhead seat is fully reclined, the seat takes up the entire legroom and the footwell... which deprives you of any space where you can keep your stuff seatside(?).

1 A/C & H/K are all taken.
Should I go with 7K, 1 D/G or 2 D/G?

I need aisle access without disturbing my neighbor.
7K could be stinky and is located in the second cabin (but has window which would be nice), 1A/G and 7K run the small risk of a baby next to me, 2A/G are non-bulkhead.

Last edited by evergrn; Sep 8, 18 at 1:19 am Reason: got my alphabets mixed up.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: