Wiki Posts
Search

JAL F JFK - NRT - SYD: too much flying?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
JAL F JFK - NRT - SYD: too much flying?

thinking about doing JFK - NRT - SYD in F. Have flown JAL F before and really enjoyed it. Wonder if doing 10 hours after having just flown 13 would be enjoyable? Has anyone done back to back long hauls in F?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ekartash
thinking about doing JFK - NRT - SYD in F. Have flown JAL F before and really enjoyed it. Wonder if doing 10 hours after having just flown 13 would be enjoyable? Has anyone done back to back long hauls in F?
I have done LHR BKK SYD in F which comes to about the same stretch, have done NRT BKK JNB in J (a bit shorter), while it is not fun and long time, they both gave me ample opportunity to sleep and relax, and arrive feeling fairly refreshed and relaxed. I would not hesitate to do similar routes again. And will have to do it again for work. In both cases there were about 2 hours between flights.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I once did FRA-DFW-LAS-LAX-BOS-LAX-BOS with only one TRANSCON being in J. They rest were in Y. Somehow I think you'll be OK. ;-)
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:42 pm

Did this last year to get to a cruise from Solomon Islands.

Just assume that on the NRT-SYD leg, you will need to eat and then get some sleep. your eyes will be tired by then, unless you can sleep for a significant portion from the US to NRT.

By then, the novelty would have worn off on the rest.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:24 am

You should be fine with two BtB longhauls.

I once flew JL in F from SFO-NRT-FRA and then connected to LA in F to SCL.

Basically around the world in 48 hours.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
That is really not that long a time, somewhat typical flying to Asia or Australia. Consider those on Y doing it and you are in F. They would trade in a split second.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
I honestly don't think it would be that much worse than other methods of flying to SYD from NYC. You either have a 6 hour flight to LAX followed by a 15 hour flight to SYD or a 4 hour flight to DFW followed by a 17 hour flight to SYD (so its really only 2 hours more of flying time). Given that getting F from the US-SYD is very difficult (I'm assuming you are using miles), you are going to be a lot more comfortable on the two JL F flights than you would on whatever alternative option you would be able to get on a slightly more direct route.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
It's worth noting that JL don't operate F between NRT and SYD, and haven't done so for some years – the best you can hope for will be J on that particular leg.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by inasmuchas
It's worth noting that JL don't operate F between NRT and SYD, and haven't done so for some years – the best you can hope for will be J on that particular leg.
Do you mean only NRT > SYD? Because I recently snagged JL772 (SYD > NRT) on the 77w in F for january next year
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
JL currently operate a 777 with F on NRT-SYD-NRT. It is loaded in the schedule from today through the end of schedule.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 1:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
JL has been providing F on NRT-SYD for some time now and plans to continue to do so this summer
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
Looks like F might be more permanent on the SYD-NRT-SYD route because I've just booked my wife and myself on there for a Oct/Nov holiday flying on a 77W. As JL use the QF lounge in SYD, can anyone tell me if being in F on this flight gets us access to the Qantas First lounge, or are we sent to the Business lounge? Also, what's the breakfast menu like in both lounges these days?

Last edited by evilbrian; Mar 1, 2016 at 11:18 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evilbrian
Looks like F might be more permanent on the SYD-NRT-SYD route because I've just booked my wife and myself on there for a Oct/Nov holiday flying on a 77W. As JL use the QF lounge in SYD, can anyone tell me if being in F on this flight gets us access to the Qantas First lounge, or are we sent to the Business lounge? Also, what's the breakfast menu like in both lounges these days?
You will have access to the QF first class lounge. The specific menu varies over the seasons, but things like eggs benedict, eggs floretine, full Australian breakfast, seems to be pretty fixed items.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: EK, QF, VA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You will have access to the QF first class lounge. The specific menu varies over the seasons, but things like eggs benedict, eggs floretine, full Australian breakfast, seems to be pretty fixed items.
Thanks CPH-Flyer. Does JL have First and Business lounges at Narita Terminal 2?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by evilbrian
Thanks CPH-Flyer. Does JL have First and Business lounges at Narita Terminal 2?
Yes. There's also a CX lounge and an AA lounge, but stick with the JL F lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.