HND-BKK
JL31/34 Daily from Aug 10 2016
JL33/32 4 x Weekly (except Tue, Wed, Thu) from Sep 23 / Daily from Oct 21 2016

HND-SIN
JL37/36 5 x weekly (except Tue & Wed) from Aug 05 / Daily from Sep 15 2016

HND-HKG
JL29/26 Daily from Oct 24 2016

HND-HNL
JL80/89 Daily from Dec 15 2016 except Dec 28 - Jan 8 (SS7)

KIX-HNL
JL792/791 Daily from Jan 9 2017

NRT/NGO-HNL
JL794/793 Daily from Feb 25 2017
Print Wikipost

JAL SKY SUITE 777-200ER rollout schedule

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
I am flying on a 777-200 next summer and the seating is wide open. I board at 2AM and land at 9AM so I mostly will sleep. Any advice on the best seat for doing so? I know to expect a warmer cabin and tight seat. Currently I am in 8K since I heard the bulkhead was a little roomier
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So apparently our upcoming HND-GMP flight was upgraded from an old 777-200 to a retrofitted skysuite 777-200! The W63/W64 model without PE. This is for a flight in July. Quick inspection shows that 2 of the daily flights will be operated by the lie-flat 772's.

That said, which seats would you all recommend for a couple? It's a short flight so we're not going to be sleeping. Middle-Middle or Middle-Window? Or behind each other? Or are they all pretty much not possible to have a convenient conversation in? it's a short flight so it wouldn't be a huge deal. Atm we're in 2G/K.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The seats are not ideal for easy conversation but I'd say two middle seats are the least inconvenient.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Am embarrassed to say this, but have never actually flown premium cabin even when redeeming miles. New years resolution is to take all leisure flights going forward in premium cabin where possible, first experience will be Sky Suite III on 777-200ER. What should I expect? (other than what's shown in the very nice thick paper brochures JL hands out at trade shows).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3
Am embarrassed to say this, but have never actually flown premium cabin even when redeeming miles. New years resolution is to take all leisure flights going forward in premium cabin where possible, first experience will be Sky Suite III on 777-200ER. What should I expect? (other than what's shown in the very nice thick paper brochures JL hands out at trade shows).
tight and uncomfortable
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

tight and uncomfortable
That's not a quite fair comment to someone who has only flown Y. There is a difference between us jaded flyers and people flying the first time.

It is not the greatest J seat out there, but for regional flying it is survivable. It sure beats getting the ANA cradle seats overnight to Bangkok.

What to expect, quite a step up from a Y seat, having a flat surface to sleep on for a night flight. Limited seat adjustment options. I think the bigger step up is in the service.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's not a quite fair comment to someone who has only flown Y. There is a difference between us jaded flyers and people flying the first time.

It is not the greatest J seat out there, but for regional flying it is survivable. It sure beats getting the ANA cradle seats overnight to Bangkok.

What to expect, quite a step up from a Y seat, having a flat surface to sleep on for a night flight. Limited seat adjustment options. I think the bigger step up is in the service.
Yea it’s a step up from Y but need to set the expectations straight on how much space OP will get in this. Sadly SSIII won’t be restricted to regional flying anymore (but in OP’s case SS2 still is), KIX-LAX is getting the “upgrade” soon. One big reason I will be constantly avoiding that route from now on.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea it’s a step up from Y but need to set the expectations straight on how much space OP will get in this. Sadly SSIII won’t be restricted to regional flying anymore (but in OP’s case SS2 still is), KIX-LAX is getting the “upgrade” soon. One big reason I will be constantly avoiding that route from now on.
Yeah, interesting that KIX LAX gets this and NRT SEA gets SS8. Is KIX LAX that much lower yield? Or more the competition on SEA has better seats?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yeah, interesting that KIX LAX gets this and NRT SEA gets SS8. Is KIX LAX that much lower yield? Or more the competition on SEA has better seats?
aircraft rotation would be the reason I assume...but I haven’t had any luck with SS2 in the past 6 months. My SS2 flights all got “downgraded” to shell flat. So depending on OP’s route, OP may not be getting SS2 even when seat map is showing SS2 at the moment
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

tight and uncomfortable
This is still really surprising to me. I wish they had just gone with the same seats you get on AC, CX, etc. I'm booked into it on JL 35 later in the year, but I'm only 175cm and sleep on my back so I think it should be good enough to just fall asleep. Even if it's not the best hard product on that route, as a 5000 mile addition to an Alaska booking it was too good to pass up.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
This is still really surprising to me. I wish they had just gone with the same seats you get on AC, CX, etc. I'm booked into it on JL 35 later in the year, but I'm only 175cm and sleep on my back so I think it should be good enough to just fall asleep. Even if it's not the best hard product on that route, as a 5000 mile addition to an Alaska booking it was too good to pass up.
It's meant for regional flying (and unfortunately now low-yield long-haul). Flagship long-haul routes have way better seats.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
It's meant for regional flying (and unfortunately now low-yield long-haul). Flagship long-haul routes have way better seats.
Yeah I've flown the apex suites and the F suites. It's more than I'm questioning how much space they even saved in the cabin over the competition. Looking at the seat layouts for Air Canada's 772s which have a very spacious reverse herringbone pod, it doesn't seem like JAL managed to improve density all that much anyway? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I've flown the apex suites and the F suites. It's more than I'm questioning how much space they even saved in the cabin over the competition. Looking at the seat layouts for Air Canada's 772s which have a very spacious reverse herringbone pod, it doesn't seem like JAL managed to improve density all that much anyway? Maybe I'm missing something.
you are comparing regional products with long-haul products
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between door 1 and 2 on the 772LR Air Canada gets 22 seats, in the same space JAL gets 26 seats. That's a full row extra, and 18% extra capacity in the same space. I would say that is increasing density quite a bit.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
the lack of a usable armrest on the asile side is pretty annoying when u cant fall asleep

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.