JAL not answering phones in US

Old Jan 7, 16, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Thumbs down JAL not answering phones in US

I have tried 4 times to call JL to reserve a meal for a trip in F in Feb. each time I have called I've been on hold over 20 minutes and the line is not answered. I have to hang up as I don't have time to be on hold for so long.

I am calling 800-525-3663

What is going on with JL in the US? Is this related to not being able to do anything on their US web site? Very very poor customer service.
Old Jan 7, 16, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I have tried 4 times to call JL to reserve a meal for a trip in F in Feb. each time I have called I've been on hold over 20 minutes and the line is not answered. I have to hang up as I don't have time to be on hold for so long.

I am calling 800-525-3663

What is going on with JL in the US? Is this related to not being able to do anything on their US web site? Very very poor customer service.
Try calling the Japanese number. It is usually least busy in the morning Japanese time.
I would imagine the suspension of certain online functionalities has increased the call load in the US....
Old Jan 8, 16, 3:18 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Very very poor customer service.
This is the second thread where you're claiming JAL has poor customer service.

Just to clarify you're doing a premium class award ticket with AA miles, right? (I actually have done the same several times... but I don't get complaining in the terms you are when you're getting an outsized value)
Old Jan 8, 16, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by virmaior View Post
This is the second thread where you're claiming JAL has poor customer service.

Just to clarify you're doing a premium class award ticket with AA miles, right? (I actually have done the same several times... but I don't get complaining in the terms you are when you're getting an outsized value)
I don't mean to dump on OP, but I don't get it either. All this angst because you can't talk to someone and verify there will be a Japanese FC meal for you on your flight?
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I called this morning early, 7:00am California time. After being on hold 10 minutes someone answered the phone. I put in the request for the Japanese FC meal for our flight so all is good now.

If you have ever had the Japanese FC meal you would understand why I wanted to be sure enough of them would be loaded on the plane so everyone who wanted one would get it. On a prior JL flight in J they ran out of Japanese meals by the time they got to me. I don't want that to happen again. The F Japanese meal is excellent, best airline food I have ever had.
Old Jan 8, 16, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
I called this morning early, 7:00am California time. After being on hold 10 minutes someone answered the phone. I put in the request for the Japanese FC meal for our flight so all is good now.

If you have ever had the Japanese FC meal you would understand why I wanted to be sure enough of them would be loaded on the plane so everyone who wanted one would get it. On a prior JL flight in J they ran out of Japanese meals by the time they got to me. I don't want that to happen again. The F Japanese meal is excellent, best airline food I have ever had.
I just had the Japanese meal ex NRT, and I still do not understand the worry. I have yet to be in an F cabin where my choice was not available. However, should you once be "stuck" with the western selection on JL it is also excellent.
Old Jan 8, 16, 3:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I just had the Japanese meal ex NRT, and I still do not understand the worry. I have yet to be in an F cabin where my choice was not available. However, should you once be "stuck" with the western selection on JL it is also excellent.
Seriously with all these "terrible" customer service, an excellent meal inflight won't make up for it. Would rather just pay to have a nice meal on the ground
Old Jan 9, 16, 4:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by susiesan

You do realize it is rationed by status and fare but not by time?
Old Jan 9, 16, 8:06 am

Is it actually possible to "reserve" a Japanese meal in FC if you have no status (and are on an award ticket)? Is it considered a "special meal"?
Old Jan 9, 16, 8:45 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
Is it actually possible to "reserve" a Japanese meal in FC if you have no status (and are on an award ticket)? Is it considered a "special meal"?
You can pre-order in F
Old Jan 9, 16, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
You can pre-order in F
Which is what I had wanted to do by calling since we here in North America cannot do anything online while JL has limited our access to their web site. Since I had a past experience of not having enough Japanese meals for all who wanted one, I wanted to ensure I would get one on my flight.
I doubt they load the 8 F meals on as all Japanese. By preordering I should get one. Whether I am on an award ticket or not should not matter as to the level o f customer service provided by JL.
Old Mar 17, 16, 4:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by JALPak
Originally Posted by fallinasleep View Post
You can pre-order in F
To ensure a Japanese meal in F is it good advice to call and request then? Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 16, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

To ensure a Japanese meal in F is it good advice to call and request then? Thanks!
I sent an email and called 2 weeks prior to my flight in F on JL 9 NRT-ORD to request a Japanese meal. As meal service began, the flight attendant came to me and said " I see you have the Japanese meal preordered. Is that okay?" The Japanese meal in F was spectacular, totemo oishii. It was the best meal I've had on a flight anywhere on any airline.
Old Mar 17, 16, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

I have never experienced any shortage of my choice in F. But it is only a quick call to be 100% certain you get the Japanese meal.
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
I have never experienced any shortage of my choice in F. But it is only a quick call to be 100% certain you get the Japanese meal.
I sent an email and called 2 weeks prior to my flight in F on JL 9 NRT-ORD to request a Japanese meal. As meal service began, the flight attendant came to me and said " I see you have the Japanese meal preordered. Is that okay?" The Japanese meal in F was spectacular, totemo oishii. It was the best meal I've had on a flight anywhere on any airline.
Thanks. Placed a quick call and selected the Japanese meal

I ended up selecting the 'seafood' option online when checking my reservation...so a call was in order anyway

And...it was only 5:17 total including menu and wait ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: