New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Old Dec 7, 15, 3:38 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

http://www.world.jal.com/world/en/ja...lorer_pass/ar/

JAL is releasing a new domestic travel pass for foreign visitors. Now you can get the same low price as the old Yokoso ticket even if you are flying to Japan on a non oneworld carrier! The only confusing is whether this has a max of 4 or 5 sectors as fare info only lists 4 but T&C says 5 (probably a copy and paste of the old pass T&C)
Old Dec 7, 15, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Big problems of this pass are

1. Reservation change is not permitted after ticket purchase
2. Non-refundable
Old Dec 8, 15, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Japanese press release states that 5 sectors max
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:11 pm

Programs: SPG, MR, Aeroplan, UAMP, BAEC
Has anyone tried this online booking? I wonder if the online is just for booking or booking and e-ticketing as well. Many thanks.
Old Apr 6, 16, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oorinara View Post
Has anyone tried this online booking? I wonder if the online is just for booking or booking and e-ticketing as well. Many thanks.
Just used this ticket last weekend. Book online using the UK, US or HK site.

Put in ticket details and passport number.

Books into G code, but if crediting to JMB you get 100%.

Must book 72hours before flight and absolutely no changes (Class J upgrade or F is ok).
Old Apr 6, 16, 4:17 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE
Edit: answered own question.

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 6, 16 at 4:22 am
Old Apr 6, 16, 4:47 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Compare to Yokoso, even if you arrived at the airport earlier, and earlier flights have seats, you are not allowed to moved to those flights.

So there are still benefits of using Yokoso, especially if you want to maximize your chance of scoring Class J / F.
Old Apr 6, 16, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Plus I think if you use yokoso ticket and have class j coupon they may able to book into those class j seat (ymmv)
Old Apr 6, 16, 6:17 pm

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Neither Yokoso nor Explorer pass can pre-book class j upgrade.

Both of them needs to wait until check-in...so in terms of upgrade to class j / f, there's no differences.

Here is an extreme example of what I meant by maximizing chances of scoring class j / f.

You book the last HND-CTS flight by using Yokoso, and go to check-in counter before first flight check-in starts, as long as there are J/F seats available that day, you can change your flight to the flights that has availability. Whereas explorer pass holder doesn't have such flexibility.
Old Apr 6, 16, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott SL
Originally Posted by nshizuka25 View Post
Neither Yokoso nor Explorer pass can pre-book class j upgrade.

Both of them needs to wait until check-in...so in terms of upgrade to class j / f, there's no differences.

Here is an extreme example of what I meant by maximizing chances of scoring class j / f.

You book the last HND-CTS flight by using Yokoso, and go to check-in counter before first flight check-in starts, as long as there are J/F seats available that day, you can change your flight to the flights that has availability. Whereas explorer pass holder doesn't have such flexibility.
May be I recall the wrong ticket which is part of my international ticket.....
Old Sep 9, 16, 11:12 am

Programs: Honors Lifetime Diamond, BAEC Gold
Just booked some sectors using this pass.

The positive element is that there are NO blackout dates- so I got flights over New Year to Okinawa from Nagoya, and back to Toyko.

Just remember that - similar to BA - that if you book your tickets in the UK on the website (which actually goes through to the LA booking office), you can cancel your booking free of charge within 24hs. I had to push for that at their London phone centre, but they came back and confirmed this was correct, and did it.
Old Sep 9, 16, 2:29 pm

Are you able to select your seats, or are they assigned at check in? I'm flying with a companion and we would prefer to sit next to each other.
Old Nov 16, 16, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by pop311 View Post
Are you able to select your seats, or are they assigned at check in? I'm flying with a companion and we would prefer to sit next to each other.
I basically have the same question, for a JTA/NU operated flight to Ishigaki. JAL reservations in London told me seat reservation is not allowed on GEXPLRER fare base, yet I have found no such mention in their T&C and fare rules, so I am willing to challenge that statement and potentially escalate to a supervisor. I am ow Emerald and my +1 is ow Ruby, if that helps.
Old Nov 16, 16, 3:25 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ZKOKA View Post
I basically have the same question, for a JTA/NU operated flight to Ishigaki. JAL reservations in London told me seat reservation is not allowed on GEXPLRER fare base, yet I have found no such mention in their T&C and fare rules, so I am willing to challenge that statement and potentially escalate to a supervisor. I am ow Emerald and my +1 is ow Ruby, if that helps.
JAL does state on their homepage that certain fares are not eligible for advance seat reservations. I could not find a link to the specific booking classes, but I seem to remember that G is among them.
Old Nov 16, 16, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZKOKA View Post
Their T&C also does not state you are eligible for advanced seat selections. As mentioned above, JAL states on its website not all booking classes are eligible already. Your status won't get you anywhere if you bought a fare that's ineligible for advanced seat selection. Cancel the ticket and rebook in eligible fare class if that's important to you.

Last edited by JALPak; Nov 16, 16 at 3:53 am

Search this Thread