Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Oh, how annoying! I spoke to the UK call centre (English language). Good luck persuading them, it clearly can be done. They knew that there were problems with the JEP page, took details of the itinerary and locked in the G bucket inventory while I was on the phone, and then took my number to call me back. They called me back about 20 minutes later with a manually-calculated price and an Amadeus reference. They now have my payment details and I’ll expect the itinerary to be ticketed over the next few days — but I can already see the Amadeus itinerary through MyFlights.

One thing to note - there doesn’t appear to be any G-bucket inventory loaded for some of the intra-Okinawan flights that don’t go through OKA. I was able to purchase KIX-ISG, MMY-OKA and OKA-HND, but if I wanted to fly ISG-MMY they could only route me ISG-OKA-MMY (which is obviously a daft routing). It was no big deal for me I will just purchase the ISG-MMY direct flight as a Sakitoku fare once those are released — it’s a 50 mile flight and not very expensive.
Thanks Richard! I will try and call the UK call centre when I get there (will be there for a few days time, just in luck!)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
All. Some help appreciated here as I am unable to get through to JAL on the phone after many attempts (US number).
I purchased one of these fares succesfully over the phone (HND to ISG) and have flown that.
My question is can I book more? I can see reference to one per international round trip, maximum five sectors on this thread. I cant see anything about this on the JAL website T&Cs.
Also side question. When I tried to book a day trip, the website stopped it. I think I could book as two singles. Again nothing against this in the T&Cs so assume an IT issues but not booking anything now until I clarify the first question.
Thanks
Rich
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:34 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
All. Some help appreciated here as I am unable to get through to JAL on the phone after many attempts (US number).
I purchased one of these fares succesfully over the phone (HND to ISG) and have flown that.
My question is can I book more? I can see reference to one per international round trip, maximum five sectors on this thread. I cant see anything about this on the JAL website T&Cs.
Also side question. When I tried to book a day trip, the website stopped it. I think I could book as two singles. Again nothing against this in the T&Cs so assume an IT issues but not booking anything now until I clarify the first question.
Thanks
Rich
No, you can't book more. You will need a new international r/t booking in order to purchase another JEP
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
No, you can't book more. You will need a new international r/t booking in order to purchase another JEP
Thanks for this. You have answered in three minutes what hasn’t been answered in two hours of waiting on the phone!

Can i I ask a follow up?

I booked the last one (I am currently in Japan) on an inbound and outbound that have both changed. I am going to leave Japan on Sunday to escape the crazy golden week prices and will come back on the 5 May . My original outbound has also changed date and location (from a Tokyo london on 14 May to a Tokyo Hanoi (new PNR also) on 19 May. So I assume I am good to book another one as the flights I am considering are after this date with a new passport entry , and new flights. In essence a new trip.
Also if I want to book two returns , so I do it on one booking as a multi city ?
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:18 pm

just as a datapoint on this. I finally got though to a representative (on the US line) who checked his internal guidance and said you could book as many as you wished per trip.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich

just as a datapoint on this. I finally got though to a representative (on the US line) who checked his internal guidance and said you could book as many as you wished per trip.
Looks like they have updated the T&C then. When it was first released, it specifically states 5 sectors maximum. And now even the website allows input of more than 5 sectors.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:46 am

Looks like they have updated the T&C then. When it was first released, it specifically states 5 sectors maximum. And now even the website allows input of more than 5 sectors.
It’s very good as long as it’s true, as I also realised the fares accrue full miles and tier points (I’m a BAEC member).
I guess i’ll find out the hard way at the airport if it’s not!
Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Does anyone have any further experiences of using these tickets with two one-way itineraries instead of a 'return' to Japan? My situation is complicated by the fact that I would prefer to book the ticket out of Japan after my arrival... so it might be in time for flying on the Yokoso/Explorer fare but it may not exist at the time of booking. I am assuming that would prove troublesome.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _nate
Does anyone have any further experiences of using these tickets with two one-way itineraries instead of a 'return' to Japan? My situation is complicated by the fact that I would prefer to book the ticket out of Japan after my arrival... so it might be in time for flying on the Yokoso/Explorer fare but it may not exist at the time of booking. I am assuming that would prove troublesome.
The T&C clearly states the fare not itinerary has to be Round Trip, Circle Trip or Open Jaw.
2. International air fare must be Round Trip, Circle Trip or Open Jaw. The journey must be to/via Japan from outside Japan. Either the ticket number or reservation code is required at the time of purchase.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by hermionegio
I tried to search for blackout dates for JAL Explorer Pass on August 2018, but I couldn't find any information. Does anyone of you know something about them?
The T&C clearly states the fare not itinerary has to be Round Trip, Circle Trip or Open Jaw.
I know, but in the posts above, there have been people mentioning that they managed, nevertheless, to get by with two one-way itineraries.

Also, this doesn't mention anything about round-trip tickets, just international tickets:

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/bw_uploads...jm5fLnBkZg.pdf

So I'm asking about experiences, not the terms - which, realistically, might specify something quite particular but if it doesn't seem in line with the motivation of the ticket, might not apply in reality.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _nate
I know, but in the posts above, there have been people mentioning that they managed, nevertheless, to get by with two one-way itineraries.

Also, this doesn't mention anything about round-trip tickets, just international tickets:

http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/bw_uploads...jm5fLnBkZg.pdf

So I'm asking about experiences, not the terms - which, realistically, might specify something quite particular but if it doesn't seem in line with the motivation of the ticket, might not apply in reality.
As a reminder, knowingly violate the T&C is the same as committing fraud, and supporting such activity is against the rules of FT. So we won’t be able to help with that.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#deceptive
Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited
also, you should refer to the T&C listed on the website instead of this outdated press release from 2015 as JL had changed them since the launch of the fare. But the round trip, open jaw, circle trip fares from overseas requirement which you do not satisfy has been there since the launch of the fare, as well as the few other discounted domestic passes JL has offered.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:59 pm

As a reminder, knowingly violate the T&C is the same as committing fraud, and supporting such activity is against the rules of FT. So we won’t be able to help with that.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#deceptive

also, you should refer to the T&C listed on the website instead of this outdated press release from 2015 as JL had changed them since the launch of the fare. But the round trip, open jaw, circle trip fares from overseas requirement which you do not satisfy has been there since the launch of the fare, as well as the few other discounted domestic passes JL has offered.
Goodness me, I didn't expect to be accused of a criminal offence by posting a message here.

Do you have a link to the Japanese terms and conditions? I'd be interested to look at them.

I'm a bit surprised at your reaction because the posts in the thread above seem to confirm that two one-way bookings are acceptable in practical terms. And you, in particular, contribute a great deal to the JAL forum, and this has helped me immensely in the past. Please understand that I mean no disrespect.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:35 am

Just to add a practical experience on here, I recently (last few months) booked a number of these whilst not on a round trip, circle or open jaw. With two sets of one ways (i.e I left and then returned to Japan and all with JAL - redemption bookings through BA). Neither the European call centre, or the JAL service centre (in person, in Yurakucho in Tokyo) raised the slightest concern whilst validating the T&Cs. Certainly they intimated to me as I specifically raised and discussed this point with them, and they also reviewed my flight information for this purpose, that the key point was that you had a confirmed in and out of Japan, along with the passport requirement. This is from their perspective, but at the end of the day, they are responsible for selling the tickets, and for documenting and checking validity/eligibility.

My advice is as follows:

Although it is more bit painful, try by booking by telephone through the JAL Europe or US service centre (i had to do this in anycase as was a JTA flight). They will do some checks on eligibility at the time (They required me to send /provide my booking refs for the in and out flights), and it becomes very hard for airport staff or likewise to interpret differently if the ticket is issued through a JAL office. If they have any concerns about eligibility they can raise them on behalf of before you buy.

The website booking engine will not prevent you, however, entering in booking refs for separate flights.

If you don't have a confirmed flight out of Japan, you may find it difficult to book this ticket however. Why not reserve a seat on avios for now on a likely date and route and either take the flight as planned or update things later when things are clearer. Again, I am raising this from practical experience. I had to change my out (date and route) after I had booked. I contacted JAL to update to avoid any problems at the airport, but they weren't actually interested in doing any further checks or updates at this point.

Certainly, it is good advice to be prudent with JAL around documentation and conformity with their terms, as you can come up against lack of flexibility, but my distinct impression in this specific case was that it's more an omission of wording. The goal (and maybe underlying requirement from the government) is that JAL has sufficient and relevant documentation to show they are selling these fares to non-resident tourists.

Last edited by Woodbinerich; Jun 23, 2018 at 5:50 am
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

JTA flights can once again be booked online now so JL office shouldn’t be ticketing JEP anymore
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
I just booked JEP for my mileage run, I now received Electronic Ticket Receipt and Confirmation of reservation. I have also called JAL to put all those flight under my JMB account.
All I have to do on the day is to bring passport/cathay boarding pass/ Electronic Ticket Receipt, right??
I am a newbie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.