New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Old Dec 21, 16, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, SPG Gold, SLH Honoured
I too am looking at Ultra Sakitoku fare vs. Japan Explorer. Unfortunately I'm affected by Yokoso blackout, so that's not much use to me. Given both fares are currently about the same price for the flights I'm interested in, I'm thinking Sakitoku for me as I can get Class J.

One question I have is around luggage allowance. Japan Explorer give you 2x23kg vs. Sakitoku seems to be 20kg flat. I'm a OWE and the Mrs is OWS, do we get the respective 20 & 15kg extra allowance on domestic? From reading the forum, it looks like it but am hoping someone can confirm this for me. We're going skiing + touring during our trip, so with skis + boot, the extra weight allowance could be crucial.

Sorry for the newbie question, this will be my first time flying with JAL & am confused by JAL international & domestic being very different!
Old Mar 4, 17, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak View Post
I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this pass. When i checked HND-CTS and HND-FUK, both seemed to be cheaper than the per coupon price in the pass.

Is it usually the case where the pass is much cheaper than buying a domestic ticket off JAL's website?
It can be cheaper sometimes if booked on domestic website, the difference would be the baggage you can check in (2 check in ,each at 23kg for JEP) and also it would be a 100% mileage for your JMB account, rather than 75% or less for most of the domestic tickets
Old Mar 5, 17, 2:57 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Waran View Post
One question I have is around luggage allowance. Japan Explorer give you 2x23kg vs. Sakitoku seems to be 20kg flat. I'm a OWE and the Mrs is OWS, do we get the respective 20 & 15kg extra allowance on domestic?
In your case, according to additional baggage allowance for elites, you can check at the most 32kg x3pcs with Japan Explorer, or 40kg flat with any domestic fare. Upgrading at airport may be available; even if waitlisted to upgrade, JL will put you in the highest priority.

Last edited by Toki; Mar 5, 17 at 3:08 am
Old Mar 17, 17, 12:59 pm

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Seems the website allows booking of up to 6 sectors. T&Cs doesn't mention anything about sector limit as well.
Old Mar 31, 17, 8:28 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
Seems the website allows booking of up to 6 sectors. T&Cs doesn't mention anything about sector limit as well.
Well there are lots of things they don't mention e.g. You can't select seats in advanced and no repeat of the same sector. So unless you don't qualify for Yokoso, I would still prefer paying $10 booking fee to get that ticket instead. Between Yokoso has way better availability as well.
Old Jun 20, 17, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Well, few years back JAL agent was rigid when I tried to book Yokoso with 2 one-way award redemptions (weird that he asked if I was on AA awards though, not sure if there was an exemption for that). Remember you are dealing with a Japanese company which rules are rules. In this case, I found most check-in agents aren't familiar with these yokoso/japan pass fare rules so you may get lucky. But don't be surprised if you are asked to pay for the full fare at check-in
Recent experience: Noboby cared to see an international ticket, JAL check-in staff briefly flipped through our passports and found what they were looking for within seconds. We were checked-in with no questions asked.
Old Jun 20, 17, 5:11 pm

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZKOKA View Post
Recent experience: Noboby cared to see an international ticket, JAL check-in staff briefly flipped through our passports and found what they were looking for within seconds. We were checked-in with no questions asked.
i dont see the point of "seeing" since its all hardcoded in your ticket. they only need to punch some buttons and they will see if the ticket number you gave them was valid.
Old Jun 21, 17, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i dont see the point of "seeing" since its all hardcoded in your ticket. they only need to punch some buttons and they will see if the ticket number you gave them was valid.
I doubt they have access to (in my case) Delta's ticketing system. If they'd had access, they could've seen that my ticket number has ceased to exist due to re-ticketing of the itinerary after a schedule change.

Last edited by ZKOKA; Jun 21, 17 at 1:42 am
Old Sep 13, 17, 2:12 pm

I tried to search for blackout dates for JAL Explorer Pass on August 2018, but I couldn't find any information. Does anyone of you know something about them?
Old Sep 13, 17, 2:15 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hermionegio View Post
I tried to search for blackout dates for JAL Explorer Pass on August 2018, but I couldn't find any information. Does anyone of you know something about them?
It has no blackout dates
hermionegio likes this.
Old Sep 13, 17, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
It has no blackout dates
Thank you!
Old Sep 18, 17, 2:53 am

Hi all, thanks for the insight on this thread -- very useful. A have a few questions about the Japan Explorer fares. (As a OWE I would normally have gone for the Yokoso fares, but I'm treating myself to ANA F in and out of Japan so not available this time.)

1. I assume that it's easily possible to add my BAEC frequent flyer number to a Japan Explorer ticket booked through the online portal?

2. I'm going to be in Japan next May (2018). My previous experience is that JAL domestic schedules and tickets are only made available a few months out, and May 2018 wouldn't be available yet (indeed a normal search on the JAL website for domestic tickets shows up nothing), but through the Japan Explorer online portal it is offering me domestic tickets for sale in May 2018 already... Is this normal? I'm thinking of booking my tickets now (at least for the segments during Golden Week) as I can't imagine that a regular advance purchase sakitoku fare is going to be much cheaper. I fully appreciate that the chance of a standby purchased upgrade to F/J during Golden Week is next to zero...

3. For segments outside golden week, am I better off waiting to see if there are better sakitoku fares than the price of a Japan Explorer ticket? Do I lose anything by waiting -- is there a risk of Japan Explorer fares disappearing or selling out on a particular route?
Old Sep 18, 17, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble View Post
Hi all, thanks for the insight on this thread -- very useful. A have a few questions about the Japan Explorer fares. (As a OWE I would normally have gone for the Yokoso fares, but I'm treating myself to ANA F in and out of Japan so not available this time.)

1. I assume that it's easily possible to add my BAEC frequent flyer number to a Japan Explorer ticket booked through the online portal?

2. I'm going to be in Japan next May (2018). My previous experience is that JAL domestic schedules and tickets are only made available a few months out, and May 2018 wouldn't be available yet (indeed a normal search on the JAL website for domestic tickets shows up nothing), but through the Japan Explorer online portal it is offering me domestic tickets for sale in May 2018 already... Is this normal? I'm thinking of booking my tickets now (at least for the segments during Golden Week) as I can't imagine that a regular advance purchase sakitoku fare is going to be much cheaper. I fully appreciate that the chance of a standby purchased upgrade to F/J during Golden Week is next to zero...

3. For segments outside golden week, am I better off waiting to see if there are better sakitoku fares than the price of a Japan Explorer ticket? Do I lose anything by waiting -- is there a risk of Japan Explorer fares disappearing or selling out on a particular route?
1. Yes, you just add it on when they ask you for your personal details

2. That is normal, as JEP is not classified as 'domestic' in sales term, you can book and buy it in advance up to 330 days IIRC

3. The risk would be sold out, as JEP are sold as class 'G', which only has a number of seats available on each flight. Once they are gone, they are gone, you won't be able to find them again unless some people cancel it (which rarely happens)
hearingdouble likes this.
Old Sep 18, 17, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by JALlover View Post
1. Yes, you just add it on when they ask you for your personal details

2. That is normal, as JEP is not classified as 'domestic' in sales term, you can book and buy it in advance up to 330 days IIRC

3. The risk would be sold out, as JEP are sold as class 'G', which only has a number of seats available on each flight. Once they are gone, they are gone, you won't be able to find them again unless some people cancel it (which rarely happens)
Thanks, that's great to know. Re: 2, I'm surprised that JAL would have a domestic schedule mapped out for the full year ahead but wouldn't offer it for sale (other than via the JEP), but thanks for confirming.

Re: 3, is class 'G' reserved for the JEP only, or is it sold in other ways too? I'm sort of minded to wait and see what sakitoku fares I can get first and the use the JEP as a back-up, but if they book into the same fare bucket then it's probably not worth it.
Old Sep 18, 17, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by hearingdouble View Post
Thanks, that's great to know. Re: 2, I'm surprised that JAL would have a domestic schedule mapped out for the full year ahead but wouldn't offer it for sale (other than via the JEP), but thanks for confirming.

Re: 3, is class 'G' reserved for the JEP only, or is it sold in other ways too? I'm sort of minded to wait and see what sakitoku fares I can get first and the use the JEP as a back-up, but if they book into the same fare bucket then it's probably not worth it.
JEP is sold more like an international ticket, rather than domestic. So there might still be changes to the time of the flight that you booked until the domestic timetable is released to the public.

Can't say they are the same, as their mileage earning is different, as well as JEP you can book it a few days ahead, while Sakitoku fares you will need to book it 28 days before the latest. Whether they are booked into the same bucket, @JALPak may have a better knowledge than me
hearingdouble likes this.

Search this Thread