Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Their T&C also does not state you are eligible for advanced seat selections.
Correct, I assumed oneworld benefits should be sufficient What gives, the fare is nonrefundable. Had they mentioned it somewhere, I could have used BA Avios instead. Then again, JTA B734 cannot be worse than Air Serbia/Aviolet, which felt like a (horribly tight and uncomfortable) flying museum. Also I am still hoping for a paid class J upgrade at the airport, let's see how that plays out. I guess to ISG the chances are not too great.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:17 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ZKOKA
Correct, I assumed oneworld benefits should be sufficient What gives, the fare is nonrefundable. Had they mentioned it somewhere, I could have used BA Avios instead. Then again, JTA B734 cannot be worse than Air Serbia/Aviolet, which felt like a (horribly tight and uncomfortable) flying museum. Also I am still hoping for a paid class J upgrade at the airport, let's see how that plays out. I guess to ISG the chances are not too great.
Advanced seat selection is NOT an oneworld benefit. You can forget about upgrading. Most of the time class J is full far in advanced. Yes, it's non-refundable but if you really want to select seats in advance, you still need to cancel then rebook otherwise JAL may cancel your reservation due to double booking.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:44 am

Who in their right mind cancels a non-refundable ticket to book a new reservation because of advance seat selection?

Sadly, you indeed are correct again, not a guaranteed benefit. I wonder why they list it in the first place. I'm sick of reading tons of small print do determine whether some benefit is offered or not. BA, who are probably amongst the worst of all with their HBO fares and BOB (read: bring own booze) concept, are at least up front about it.

I guess I should just be glad JAL and ANA offer those great low fares for gaikokujins, have a glass of whiskey at the Diamond Premier lounge and enjoy the flight
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Just be ready to check in the moment OLCI opens. Usually OLCI is not used that much in Japan, and you should be able to grab decent seats.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Just be ready to check in the moment OLCI opens. Usually OLCI is not used that much in Japan, and you should be able to grab decent seats.
Can't with this fare.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Can't with this fare.
Really?? Normally Airlines want you to check in online on cheap fares....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

The domestic system is different from international one. You won't be able to login without the 4 digit codes.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:28 am

Fare rules require that international tickets and passport stamp (visitor status) are verified at check-in so I'll need to have that ready and printed out. If OLCI isn't used much in Japan I'll hopefully still get decent seats at the airport, since I anticipate to check-in some 3 hours before the flight to visit the JAL store and the observation deck at Haneda ^
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Unlike some other airlines, you can choose a seat at the time of booking even deep discount fare.

See.

http://faq-en.jal.co.jp/app/answers/...d/4368/kw/seat

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/reservation/jizen/

Practically, no OLCI is used.
People go to the security check directly with their printed QR code/IC card/mobile phone without OLCI.

One of ineligible fare for advanced seat reservation is group fare.
IMHO, just calling JAL's domestic reservation office is worth to try.

UPDATED:
I called JAL reservation office in Japan.
You CAN'T make advanced seat reservation on this Japan Explorer Pass fare.

Last edited by Wasabi Tofu; Nov 16, 2016 at 11:16 pm
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:33 pm

The domestic system is different from international one. You won't be able to login without the 4 digit codes.
You can access reservations on this fare on their international sites though I'm not sure if you can check in.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reikon
You can access reservations on this fare on their international sites though I'm not sure if you can check in.
You can't
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Reikon
I cannot even look it up on any of the websites, as a flight number is required and there is no option to select NU as carrier, only JL. For the domestic website I'd need a 4 letter booking code, which I don't have.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Is there any reason to book using the Explorer pass if the same flight is cheaper as a Super/Ultra Sakitoku fare?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Is there any reason to book using the Explorer pass if the same flight is cheaper as a Super/Ultra Sakitoku fare?
I assume the mileage earned is different. The Sakitoku fare shows as 75% accrual.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I assume the mileage earned is different. The Sakitoku fare shows as 75% accrual.
Thanks Icpteck! Decided to go with the lower earnings in exchange for advance seat selection and turned out Class J was available for 1000JPY upfare at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.