New JAL Japan Explorer Pass

Old Jan 4, 20, 7:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
This is a really good post - thank you. I've done something similar (re: exploring Japan), but on Avios fares, and explored most of the south, as well as the Sea of Japan side - ended up driving most of the Tohoku area, but I didn't know about the taxi service at Akita - that's one I haven't been to yet, so I will have to give it a try!

I echo your "upgrade to class J" comment. The less popular routes are pretty easy to upgrade on, the others less so - ITM, CTS, OKA and FUK are almost impossible.

You can do checkins at the JGC/First Class counters, btw. I've done multiple flights on the same day and nobody's ever batted an eyelid. Nice bonus is that unlike in the US, the agents can not only check you into the remote airports (so if you're doing a back-to-back HND-OKA-HND, for example, you could avoid getting out of security if it's truly a pure mileage run), but also put you on the upgrade list for class J, which means you'd be on it a little bit earlier than the rest (though status will trump you anyway).
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
From 2021/2/1, JEP ticket will accumulate the following mileage based on fare code.

Y 100%
H, M, E 75%
O 50%
G 30%

Until then (2021/1/31), all tickets will accumulate 100% JMB miles.
Old Jan 15, 20, 1:59 am

Programs: JAL JMB Sapphire & One World Sapphire
Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
From 2021/2/1, JEP ticket will accumulate the following mileage based on fare code.

Y 100%
H, M, E 75%
O 50%
G 30%

Wow, did not know they will open up more fare code? Currently is only Y=100% right.

Looks like I a step toward going to green card
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by minizian View Post
Wow, did not know they will open up more fare code? Currently is only Y=100% right.

They have made that change recently to japan airpass. But the highest booking class was only M.

What makes you think your green card is safe? It’s just a matter of time before they get to the green card holders. This is an airline with constant cost cuttings. If green card is no longer profitable or not profitable enough, they will be cut or “enhanced”.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
They have made that change recently to japan airpass. But the highest booking class was only M.

What makes you think your green card is safe? It’s just a matter of time before they get to the green card holders. This is an airline with constant cost cuttings. If green card is no longer profitable or not profitable enough, they will be cut or “enhanced”.
Did not released regarding Airpass part as I do not use that.

Well myself does not expect green card to be safe/last forever, just see how it goes along the ride.

Maybe your wish will be granted sooner or later for sure (they are quite drastic recently) At the moment the music is still playing.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post

Until an izakaya somewhere hosts both the ANA Mileage Club and the JAL Mileage Bank CEOs, and a "coincidentally simultaneous" announcement subsequently comes that they're _both_ cutting the JGC/SuperFlyers benefit, I don't think either one of them will dare drop that % of their client base.
Old Jan 15, 20, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by minizian View Post

Also, Y, H, M will continue to receive 400 bonus FOP while E, O, G will receive 0 bonus FOP per sector.

I won't be surprised if they make you accumulate at least Crystal level mileage/sector to retain that Card.
Old Jan 15, 20, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Until an izakaya somewhere hosts both the ANA Mileage Club and the JAL Mileage Bank CEOs, and a "coincidentally simultaneous" announcement subsequently comes that they're _both_ cutting the JGC/SuperFlyers benefit, I don't think either one of them will dare drop that % of their client base.
They might put further criteria on the non Japan members, since they don't have the credit card requiremen. And NH don't have non Japan SFC options at all.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
They might put further criteria on the non Japan members, since they don't have the credit card requiremen. And NH don't have non Japan SFC options at all.
Yeah this is possible, but I think the number of Japan-based JGC and SFC elites is SO high that either they do something about them domestically, or don’t bother at all. Cutting off the couple of hundred international fliers won’t make any impact imho. Everyone is elite in Japan!!!
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Yeah this is possible, but I think the number of Japan-based JGC and SFC elites is SO high that either they do something about them domestically, or don’t bother at all. Cutting off the couple of hundred international fliers won’t make any impact imho. Everyone is elite in Japan!!!
They do get the $ from credit card annual fee that give them JGC status isnt?

I am very curious about the number for non-japan based JGC members vs Japan JGC (Yes I know it be high but would be nice if roughly estimates)

Also, Y, H, M will continue to receive 400 bonus FOP while E, O, G will receive 0 bonus FOP per sector.

I won't be surprised if they make you accumulate at least Crystal level mileage/sector to retain that Card.
Isnt it they use to have some pre qualification (eg minimum Crystal) to get renewed plus 5000 miles renewal?

Was reading some old post here hence I recall if they had something like that.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:42 am

Programs: OZ
Isn't it only applied to Japan domestic flight sectors included in international tickets? Is JEP classified as including in international tickets?

Y 100%
H, M, E 75%
O 50%
G 30%

Old Jan 15, 20, 11:10 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

Given that the credit card annual fee is only required for domestic members. I would be surprised if they make foreign members to attain crystal status. However, they could increase the 5000 miles to higher amount (given that mileage expired after 3 years). It will take some cost to get the necessary miles.
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
Given that the credit card annual fee is only required for domestic members. I would be surprised if they make foreign members to attain crystal status. However, they could increase the 5000 miles to higher amount (given that mileage expired after 3 years). It will take some cost to get the necessary miles.
The difference between the credit card revenue and the 5000 points is exactly why they might increase the cost, even up to acquiring Crystal, for overseas members.
Old Yesterday, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
In all honesty I would say the amount of JGC members derived from international is probably only 10% worth of the members. If the attempt is to reduce the number of members then by all means it should be applicable to all members (whether you pay 5,000 miles or you pay a credit card fee). However, I am unsure if JAL is losing much here cause lounge cost is dependent who they flown. They might just leave it now so make sure they don't have that many Premier and Diamond members.

Crystal status to give OW Sapphire is really not that difficult with the benefits that OW Sapphire gives. 5,000 miles is really not much. I would say 10,000 miles would be fair (also the domestic credit card annual fee should increase).

Originally Posted by miceking View Post
Isn't it only applied to Japan domestic flight sectors included in international tickets? Is JEP classified as including in international tickets?
Doesn't matter really. If they count the JEP G as international ticket then it will be 50% rather than 30%, still a severe cut to make sure you wouldn't want to run using JEP tickets.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I think these JEP runners are more for leisure type runners. Serious runners can find better deals. my japanese friends are running for JAL emerald using discount first/business class fare. (not cheap but not crazily expensive).

i got my JGC via business class (i only needed 1 JAL sectors on HND ISG), the rest are regular fare that anyone can buy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: