FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank-513/)
-   -   Anyone on the inaugural DFW flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-airlines-jal-mileage-bank/1727738-anyone-inaugural-dfw-flights.html)

Gabrca Nov 29, 2015 8:24 am

Anyone on the inaugural DFW flights?

Hi all,

Taking this flight next month and just saw the inaugural is tomorrow ... Anyone booked onto it?

Best,

Gabrca

Ck8870 Nov 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Anyone on the inaugural DFW flights?

Yes. booked in J two months out. many times on JL SS7, first time SS8. quite exciting.

Gabrca Nov 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Exciting! Be sure to report back :D ... Very pumped for this flight

cactus47 Dec 2, 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Gabrca (Post 25787650)
Exciting! Be sure to report back :D ... Very pumped for this flight

No trip reports yet? I haven't seen any.

jiaotze Dec 3, 2015 7:33 pm

I was on the 12/2 DFW-NRT flight. Having only taken the ORD-NRT flight in the past, I had a few thoughts on the 787, which others might have pointed out elsewhere.

First of all, the food and service were stellar. I had the Western main, which was a filet, which was excellent, and my companion couldn't stop raving about the Japanese meal. The on-demand options were also great quality (especially the Cajun shrimp stew and the absolutely enormous hamburger – truly Texas-sized).

I may be imagining things, but I thought the Skysuite was slightly smaller than that on the 777. I'm not a tall guy, so it didn't bother me.

However, I did bump my head a few times when I stood up on the relatively low overhead lights and bins. The 787 dimming windows are groovy.

I did think it odd that the entire Business Cabin, which takes up about half the plane, has only two lavatories, both of which were on the smallish side.

Service was top-notch, but the FAs seemed busier than normal since the ordering on demand through the remote system was broken, so passengers kept having to use the call buttons.

The AVOD screen quality is outstanding, and while the offerings are improved from the past, they still don't come near industry leaders in this area.

We had to circle for about 40 minutes off the coast before landing due to traffic congestion, and then had a good 20-minute taxi to the gate.

I'm not sure which lounge JAL is using at DFW (I think it is a shared one), but I used the AA lounge as I'm OW Emerald, which is fine.

All in all, we had a great flight, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it again in the future if the opportunity presents itself.

wolf539 Dec 6, 2015 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by jiaotze (Post 25810152)

I'm not sure which lounge JAL is using at DFW (I think it is a shared one), but I used the AA lounge as I'm OW Emerald, which is fine.

I thought JAL had an agreement to use the AA lounge close to the departure gate? Similar to the arrangement at ORD...

jiaotze Dec 6, 2015 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by wolf539 (Post 25823113)
I thought JAL had an agreement to use the AA lounge close to the departure gate? Similar to the arrangement at ORD...

When I asked at the Admirals Club about the JAL lounge, the agent at the counter said JAL is using a shared lounge, and that she's been to it and that the AA lounge is better. Of course, YMMV.

To be sure, the shared lounge a gate or down over from the Admirals Club has a JAL sticker on the door with a slew of other airlines.

Our NRT flight left from Gate D10, which was a bit of a walk from either of the aforementioned lounges. I don't know if that departure gate is set in stone, but I don't believe there are any other lounges in the vicinity of that gate.

wolf539 Dec 7, 2015 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jiaotze (Post 25823184)
When I asked at the Admirals Club about the JAL lounge, the agent at the counter said JAL is using a shared lounge, and that she's been to it and that the AA lounge is better. Of course, YMMV.

Thanks; I'm looking forward to my flight next month. Unless of course JL opens some first class award space last minute from ORD!

Unimatrix One Dec 8, 2015 3:16 am

Originally Posted by jiaotze (Post 25823184)

The terminal D Admirals Club is packed in the mornings because of all the new flights to Asia. I would be curious to know if the lounge used by JL is as crowded.

Also, I would think the lounge used by JL might have better offerings of free food. The last time I used the terminal D Admirals Club, they only had apples and cookies. IME JL usually tries to offer more things like onigiri, finger sandwiches, etc.

wolf539 Jan 9, 2016 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One (Post 25830226)
The terminal D Admirals Club is packed in the mornings because of all the new flights to Asia. I would be curious to know if the lounge used by JL is as crowded.

I'm at DFW right now. I fly out in the morning on JL11. I stopped by the terminal D Admirals Club when I got off my ORD flight and it was a complete zoo at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon. I plan to check out both the Admirals Club and the JL shared lounge in the morning. I'll post a quick update on the lounges prior to departure if time permits.

Unimatrix One Jan 11, 2016 12:05 am

Since my last posting in this thread, I've actually flown on JL 11 and had a chance to use the JL lounge. Personally I found the JL lounge much nicer than the Terminal D Admirals Club. The AC is often packed, and the food choices are extremely limited unless you're willing to purchase food in the dining area.

The JL lounge is small, but it wasn't so crowded. It felt more peaceful than the AC (except for the two Americans yakking on their cell phones for an hour. Why oh why do Americans have such horrible cell phone manners?!?!). The food selection was also much better. No, it was not like a full dinner buffet at a five star hotel, but it had a lot of cold and hot food choices. I don't remember everything that they had, but they had yogurt, fruit (I think), cup noodles, and also some hot dishes like beef in some kind of red wine sauce and one other hot option. I'm sure there were other things that I didn't notice.

That said, I'm sure some people probably prefer the AC for the large, open feel and the huge windows. (The JL lounge does have tarmac views, BTW.)

CPH-Flyer Jan 11, 2016 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One (Post 25997657)
Since my last posting in this thread, I've actually flown on JL 11 and had a chance to use the JL lounge. Personally I found the JL lounge much nicer than the Terminal D Admirals Club. The AC is often packed, and the food choices are extremely limited unless you're willing to purchase food in the dining area.

The JL lounge is small, but it wasn't so crowded. It felt more peaceful than the AC (except for the two Americans yakking on their cell phones for an hour. Why oh why do Americans have such horrible cell phone manners?!?!). The food selection was also much better. No, it was not like a full dinner buffet at a five star hotel, but it had a lot of cold and hot food choices. I don't remember everything that they had, but they had yogurt, fruit (I think), cup noodles, and also some hot dishes like beef in some kind of red wine sauce and one other hot option. I'm sure there were other things that I didn't notice.

That said, I'm sure some people probably prefer the AC for the large, open feel and the huge windows. (The JL lounge does have tarmac views, BTW.)

I have been to all the ACs in DFW, and I still wonder why there is no Flagship lounge in the main hub of AA. I find it easy to imagine that there is a better option than the D Admiral's Club. Is it the same lounge that QR use?

JALPak Jan 11, 2016 2:00 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 25997788)
I have been to all the ACs in DFW, and I still wonder why there is no Flagship lounge in the main hub of AA. I find it easy to imagine that there is a better option than the D Admiral's Club. Is it the same lounge that QR use?

There's flagship dining at DFW now...better than nothing I guess

Unimatrix One Jan 11, 2016 3:45 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 25997788)

Yes and no. It's a shared lounge with several other airlines (QR, EK, KE, and others), but it's set up like a hotel meeting space. In other words, it's a huge room which can be easily separated into multiple rooms by putting up temporary walls, and when I visited, all the airline sections were separated into different rooms. So JAL had its own room, as did each of the other airlines. I thought it was a very clever setup, as I've never seen that at an airport before.

CPH-Flyer Jan 11, 2016 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One (Post 25998167)
Yes and no. It's a shared lounge with several other airlines (QR, EK, KE, and others), but it's set up like a hotel meeting space. In other words, it's a huge room which can be easily separated into multiple rooms by putting up temporary walls, and when I visited, all the airline sections were separated into different rooms. So JAL had its own room, as did each of the other airlines. I thought it was a very clever setup, as I've never seen that at an airport before.

Very interesting concept.