Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Interline Agreements

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fender5787
Hey all,

So I’m potentially about to book an AA issued multi-city ticket with the first segment on JL (JL005 JFK-HND) and arriving at HND at 17:15 and the second segment being an MH itinerary (HND-KUL-CGK with the first flight being MH037) leaving HND at 00:30 the next day (so a 7:15 hr layover). I just want to verify with you trusty travelers that I’ll be able to through check my bags at the JL checkin counter at JFK all the way to CGK. Also, will they issue me boarding passes for my MH flights, or will I need to clear Japanese immigration and collect them at the MH check in desk at HND. To note, this will all be a single itinerary purchased from AA, just segmented a bit out. Thanks so much and any help will be greatly appreciated!
Yes, JAL will check the bags through and issue boarding passes.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:13 am

Does anyone have experience checking bags from JAL to OZ on separate tickets?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by KE81
Does anyone have experience checking bags from JAL to OZ on separate tickets?
Will depend on the agent, and the station. The rules would not cover it, but there have been some reports of success to ET. Maybe they were a bit more lenient when people could not enter Japan?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 4:16 pm

Thanks—hopefully flying in J as a OW elite will help. Would gladly book JAL (or other OW), but literally nothing available.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 9:05 am

Hi,

Will JAL have any problem interline baggage to AAL Basic Econ? I'm gonna have NRT-JFK in JAL F then connecting in JFK to JFK-BOS in AAL BE. Will BE cause any trouble for JAL to interline the baggage?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morley39
Hi,

Will JAL have any problem interline baggage to AAL Basic Econ? I'm gonna have NRT-JFK in JAL F then connecting in JFK to JFK-BOS in AAL BE. Will BE cause any trouble for JAL to interline the baggage?

Thanks in advance.
Remember that you will have to reclaim luggage in JFK and then then drop the luggage again, even if tagged to its final destination. If you fly after the 28th of May, JAL will have moved to T8, so the bag drop will be directly with AA.

JL may very well see the lack of luggage allowance on the ticket and thus not want to check the bag through.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:03 pm

Thank you so much!

Yes I know I have to re-check bag after customs... I just don't want to pay the checked baggage fee for the AA flight you know

I guess I'll just take the Amtrak.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by morley39
Thank you so much!

Yes I know I have to re-check bag after customs... I just don't want to pay the checked baggage fee for the AA flight you know

I guess I'll just take the Amtrak.
I did guess that avoiding the fee was the point of the question. In between JAL not noticing the lacking free allowance and AA noticing that a fee has not been collected the chances of successfully avoiding the fee are pretty slim.
​​​​​
Old Feb 9, 2023, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
JL only has published policy to interline with alliance members on separate PNR. You won’t be able to access JL F lounge as it is a departure lounge.
Hi,
I'm trying to get my 73 year old Mom back to Taiwan from DFW to see her sister (my aunt) who is not doing well. I can book a DFW to HND award ticket in J for her on JAL. But will have to purchase a separate ticket from HND to TSA (2 hour and 35 minute connection time), also on JAL but in Y. I am trying to make it as simple as possible for her given her age. Am I correct in assuming JAL in DFW should check her bags all the way to TSA (Taipei) even though she has two separate tickets (one award and one paid). Both flights will be JAL operated flights. Also, I'm assuming she won't have Sakura Lounge access in HND since her departure flight is in Y? Or will she be granted access from her J ticket from DFW to HND. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:27 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DFW1003
Hi,
I'm trying to get my 73 year old Mom back to Taiwan from DFW to see her sister (my aunt) who is not doing well. I can book a DFW to HND award ticket in J for her on JAL. But will have to purchase a separate ticket from HND to TSA (2 hour and 35 minute connection time), also on JAL but in Y. I am trying to make it as simple as possible for her given her age. Am I correct in assuming JAL in DFW should check her bags all the way to TSA (Taipei) even though she has two separate tickets (one award and one paid). Both flights will be JAL operated flights. Also, I'm assuming she won't have Sakura Lounge access in HND since her departure flight is in Y? Or will she be granted access from her J ticket from DFW to HND. Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, bags will be checked through to TSA. Just present the DFW boarding pass, she should have access to HND Sakura Lounge with the same day short-haul connection based on oneworld policy.
DFW1003 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Yes, bags will be checked through to TSA. Just present the DFW boarding pass, she should have access to HND Sakura Lounge with the same day short-haul connection based on oneworld policy.
Thanks for the reply! That makes it easier to consider booking her on two tickets.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFW1003
Thanks for the reply! That makes it easier to consider booking her on two tickets.
With two tickets, the system might not automatically see that your mother has lounge access. So she should bring both her boarding passes, likelihood is that the scan of the Y boarding pass by itself would show no lounge access.
DFW1003 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 3:39 pm

Thank you! I will tell her to make sure to keep it!
Old Mar 13, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Flying HIJ-HND JAL 1 Ticket
HND-LAX-PHL AA 1 Ticket
Do I need to do something before hand to have them interline it or what do I need to show the Desk Agent in HIJ to have them send my bag all the way to PHL? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 2:19 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
Flying HIJ-HND JAL 1 Ticket
HND-LAX-PHL AA 1 Ticket
Do I need to do something before hand to have them interline it or what do I need to show the Desk Agent in HIJ to have them send my bag all the way to PHL? Thanks.
You can call JL to link the 2 PNRs, or just show the eTickets to the HIJ check-in agent. JL will tag the bags to PHL but you still need to pick up them up at LAX and go through customs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.