Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Interline Agreements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
Has anyone had recent success with JL interlining bags with NH on separate tickets & PNRs? Looking at JL JFK-HND and NH HND-SYD, and due to current restrictions I'm not able to enter Japan to manually re-check a bag if necessary.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: QF
Having separate tickets/PNR's NRT-CGK (JL) and CGK-SYD (QF). With a 3hr 10min transit. Travel is April 2023.
Would JL check check bags through to Sydney and would Indonesian immigration require us to collect bags at Jakarta?

Last edited by blutek; Jul 10, 2022 at 5:54 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by blutek
Having separate tickets/PNR's NRT-CGK (JL) and CGK-SYD (QF). With a 3hr 10min transit. Travel is April 2023.
Would JL check check bags through to Sydney or would Indonesian immigration require us to collect bags at Jakarta?
JAL will tag the luggage through to Sydney, but I don't know how transit procedures in Jakarta work. Whether like most countries that means you only see the bags again at the final destination, or they like the US will need a reclaim and recheck. I suspect the former, but you'd probably need to check in the Indonesia forum.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by blutek
Would JL check check bags through to Sydney and would Indonesian immigration require us to collect bags at Jakarta?
From JL to another oneworld carrier, it is clear they will do it: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/161003.html
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:50 pm

JL to ET?

September 2022.

LAX>NRT in JL F. Transferring to Ethiopian for ICN. LAX>NRT is award. ICN is separate ticket I purchased. Am I correct that I can interline my bags? Could LAX JL check me in for ET ICN too?
Also, would I have access to JL F lounge while I wait? (apologize if this question is in the wrong forum).

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:59 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
September 2022.

LAX>NRT in JL F. Transferring to Ethiopian for ICN. LAX>NRT is award. ICN is separate ticket I purchased. Am I correct that I can interline my bags? Could LAX JL check me in for ET ICN too?
Also, would I have access to JL F lounge while I wait? (apologize if this question is in the wrong forum).

Thanks!
JL only has published policy to interline with alliance members on separate PNR. You won’t be able to access JL F lounge as it is a departure lounge.
DFW1003 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:04 pm

Thank you JALPak.

Understand about the lounge. But wouldn't I be able to have my bags checked through?

see below MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
AA AB AC AE AF AH AI AR AS AT AV AY AZ A3
BA BD BE BG BI BR BU BW B6 B7 CA CI CM CO
CS CU CX CY CZ DL DT EH EI EK ET EY FI FJ
FM FV GA GF GK G3 HA HG HM HR HU HX HY IB
IC IE IG IR IY JC JJ JL JO JP JQ JS JU KA
KC KE KL KM KQ KU LA LH LI LO LP LR LX LY
MD ME MF MH MI MK MS MU MX NH NU NX NZ OA
OK OM OS OU OV OZ PG PK PR PS PU PX PY PZ
QF QI QR RA RB RO SA SB SC SD SK SN SQ SU
SV SW S7 TA TG TK TN TP TU T0 UA UB UL UN
US VE VN VO VS VV VW VX WF WP WS WY XF XL
YR ZW ZX 2A 4M 8M 9W
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you JALPak.

Understand about the lounge. But wouldn't I be able to have my bags checked through?

YR ZW ZX 2A 4M 8M 9W
The existence of an interline agreement just says that the two airlines have the possibility to handle transfer of luggage, and the guarantee that it works only pertains to one ticket itineraries. Across separate tickets is up to the airlines' individual policies. BA does not even check through to BA on separate tickets.

The operative word is "MAY check baggage through"
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:12 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Thank you JALPak.

YR ZW ZX 2A 4M 8M 9W
having an interline agreement doesn’t mean agent will check through your bags. E.g. BA has an interline agreement with JL but BA won’t check through the bags if you are on separate tickets. You will have to check with JL on your scenario as there’s no published policy.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:16 pm

Thank you for the additional information. I will check with JL.

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:50 pm

Anybody know if JAL would interline luggage through with SQ? Cant seem to find much information between the two airlines.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mattspiral8
Anybody know if JAL would interline luggage through with SQ? Cant seem to find much information between the two airlines.
Basically no. And last I checked, Changi had suspended their re-tag service. But maybe they have started that service again..
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Mattspiral8
Are you on 1 ticket or 2 separate ones?

JL definitely has the technical capability to tag bag to an onward SQ flight and will do so if on 1 ticket, but whether JL is willing to do that on separate tickets is another story.

Code:
1AA/W/*JL$*SQ                                                                   
** AA - AMERICAN AIRLINES **                                                    
 JL-131 JAPAN AIRLINES/JAPAN AIRLINES COMPANY LTD                               

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING                                                  
       SQ-618 SINGAPORE AIRLINES/SINGAPORE AIRLINES LIMITED                     

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO                                                         
       SQ
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:43 am

Success with JL to SQ

I wanted to offer a data point. I was successful this morning in checking my bag through from JL to a SQ flight on a separate ticket. I wouldn’t count on JL always being willing to do this but the gentleman at JFK first class checking was extremely helpful and accommodating.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Hey all,

So I’m potentially about to book an AA issued multi-city ticket with the first segment on JL (JL005 JFK-HND) and arriving at HND at 17:15 and the second segment being an MH itinerary (HND-KUL-CGK with the first flight being MH037) leaving HND at 00:30 the next day (so a 7:15 hr layover). I just want to verify with you trusty travelers that I’ll be able to through check my bags at the JL checkin counter at JFK all the way to CGK. Also, will they issue me boarding passes for my MH flights, or will I need to clear Japanese immigration and collect them at the MH check in desk at HND. To note, this will all be a single itinerary purchased from AA, just segmented a bit out. Thanks so much and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.