Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
I don't think it's blocked. Just booked. From my experience, many JAL flights will get booked within a few minutes (sometimes seconds) of being released at 330 days out. If you want a specific flight on a specific date, you have to book at 330 days out 10am JST and be quick about it. That is especially so during popular travel times. (So now is the time to book for December...the time to book for September has long ago passed.)

There can be more availability opened up as existing bookings get canceled (not sure does it always go back into inventory, but most of the time it probably does). Best way to get that is to waitlist. Also closer in more tends to be released, like a month, two weeks, one week in, depending on how full (or not) the flight is, more tends to be released closer in.

It's advantageous to use JAL JMB to book further out and waitlist. For very close in bookings you actually cannot book it with JAL, as they restrict it. Close in bookings for the next day or thereabouts you can only book with other programs. (I know, not logical...but that's the way it is.)
I see. It's just odd that availability opens right up from Sep 7th... which is the exact day that is considered OFF-PEAK. We wanted a flight a few days before that.

I checked on JMB account and availability is identical, so that's something. There's some attractive redemptions like KIX-HNL which I also might look into.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:57 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
I don't think it's blocked. Just booked. From my experience, many JAL flights will get booked within a few minutes (sometimes seconds) of being released at 330 days out. If you want a specific flight on a specific date, you have to book at 330 days out 10am JST and be quick about it. That is especially so during popular travel times. (So now is the time to book for December...the time to book for September has long ago passed.)

There can be more availability opened up as existing bookings get canceled (not sure does it always go back into inventory, but most of the time it probably does). Best way to get that is to waitlist. Also closer in more tends to be released, like a month, two weeks, one week in, depending on how full (or not) the flight is, more tends to be released closer in.

It's advantageous to use JAL JMB to book further out and waitlist. For very close in bookings you actually cannot book it with JAL, as they restrict it. Close in bookings for the next day or thereabouts you can only book with other programs. (I know, not logical...but that's the way it is.)
that’s just an exegeration. Availability really depends on routes and class. There’s no problem finding regional C awards for example. Even some long-haul flights have decent C availablities.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by JALPak
that’s just an exegeration. Availability really depends on routes and class. There’s no problem finding regional C awards for example. Even some long-haul flights have decent C availablities.
That is how it is for HNL-KIX/NGO/NRT/HND. Within a few minutes to few hours of release usually the J awards are gone, and do not re-appear until very close in, if ever. Occasionally availability does reappear (briefly, for a few minutes or hours) within the first few days of release, but that is it normally. Occasionally some dates at 320, 310, may be even 300 days out are available - but it's an exception rather than the rule.

Of course I'm sure it varies route by route. What I was saying was based on these mid-haul flights. That is, I was just speaking based on direct experience. (Though from my experience also connecting flights like NRT - N. Asia or S. Asia are hard to get and the waitlists often never clear, even if entered right at 330 days.)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:09 pm

I have a question about the Promotino for International Award Tickets for Limited Days of the Week. It would appear, for example, if I fly on certain days of the week, I only need 20,000 JMB miles ( per direction YVR-Japan for example ).

I see the black out dates for August, but how does that work? i've checked out dates but it only shows up as 25k. Anyone know how these are booked? Is there a time frame you need to book them in? I LOOKS like it starts January 25th, if I'm not mistaken... but I'm not sure of that. I don't want to transfer SPG points to JMB without knowing if it's worth it to try. I'll be buying 4 tickets to Japan for Mid-july two will return in August, two in September.

Here's the page: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/121campaign/weekly_discount/
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
That is how it is for HNL-KIX/NGO/NRT/HND. Within a few minutes to few hours of release usually the J awards are gone, and do not re-appear until very close in, if ever. Occasionally availability does reappear (briefly, for a few minutes or hours) within the first few days of release, but that is it normally. Occasionally some dates at 320, 310, may be even 300 days out are available - but it's an exception rather than the rule.

Of course I'm sure it varies route by route. What I was saying was based on these mid-haul flights. That is, I was just speaking based on direct experience. (Though from my experience also connecting flights like NRT - N. Asia or S. Asia are hard to get and the waitlists often never clear, even if entered right at 330 days.)
He's looking for NRT-YVR, it's a completely different market.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by JALPak
He's looking for NRT-YVR, it's a completely different market.
Yes, that is long-haul vs mid-haul flight. But it's still Japan-US/Canada, so the same greater/general market, just longer distance and crossing a whole of an ocean vs. just 1/2. And typically longer haul flights have lesser availability (are sooner redeemed). But of course, each route has different traffic drivers, booking timelines by customers, etc. YVR is likely a less popular destination, so it may very well have better availability - as it does, if still dates such as Sept 7 are open.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:06 pm

Yes, that is long-haul vs mid-haul flight. But it's still Japan-US/Canada, so the same greater/general market, just longer distance and crossing a whole of an ocean vs. just 1/2. And typically longer haul flights have lesser availability (are sooner redeemed). But of course, each route has different traffic drivers, booking timelines by customers, etc. YVR is likely a less popular destination, so it may very well have better availability - as it does, if still dates such as Sept 7 are open.
Hawaii is a VERY popular route for Japanese. Anyone who has been to Waikiki in May knows this. It's safe, has great Japanese facilities, and many bilingual speakers, combined with 2nd and 3rd generation Japanese.

YVR-NRT traffic is driven more by Vancouver traffic as NRT provides access to Asia.

The September 7th date is interesting to me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if JAL releases the bare minimum in the summer peak season, until they know what plane loads will be.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hawaii is popular with the jmb members, and sells out fast. Did anyone notice that JAL announced limited summer 777 swap to HNL, yet no F seats ever showed up? Those awards literally sold out in minutes!

staying on topic, the Melbourne route seems to have gained popularity as C award space is rarer now.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Hawaii is popular with the jmb members, and sells out fast. Did anyone notice that JAL announced limited summer 777 swap to HNL, yet no F seats ever showed up? Those awards literally sold out in minutes!

staying on topic, the Melbourne route seems to have gained popularity as C award space is rarer now.
Are you sure those 777s have F? We are booked NRT-HNL in July on 777 and there is no F.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
10Aug2018 Fri JL782 NRT HNL 2200 1030 77W F8A4
11Aug2018 Sat JL782 NRT HNL 2200 1030 77W F6A3
12Aug2018 Sun JL782 NRT HNL 2200 1030 77W F8A0
17Aug2018 Fri JL782 NRT HNL 2200 1030 77W F7A6

So, only 8 days for Japanese Obon days.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
@SF1K, Yes. Announced, and snapped up instantly. Tokyo - Honolulu is indeed very popular with JMB members.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Greetings all. I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks, have all my other flights ticketed except my LAX-DEL leg. I've waitlisted pretty much all North American flights to DEL via NRT from JAL, but none have cleared as of yet. On expert flyer it shows the cabin is about 75% full in J for the LAX-NRT (my preferred route) leg of the trip. At this point would it be safe to assume seats will not open up?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
This is a fairly common flight among OW flyers be it aa or jl. I would be looking at alternatives if i were you
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by FlyingKansan
Greetings all. I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks, have all my other flights ticketed except my LAX-DEL leg. I've waitlisted pretty much all North American flights to DEL via NRT from JAL, but none have cleared as of yet. On expert flyer it shows the cabin is about 75% full in J for the LAX-NRT (my preferred route) leg of the trip. At this point would it be safe to assume seats will not open up?
Impossible to know. But not too likely before waitlist expires. After JL won't ticket it, then sometimes seats often open up (very close in). Those you can only book using other OW programs and not using JL.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC, AA Plat Pro
Impossible to know. But not too likely before waitlist expires. After JL won't ticket it, then sometimes seats often open up (very close in). Those you can only book using other OW programs and not using JL.
Did not know super close in bookings weren't available to JL. Thanks so much for your insight, looks like I'll have to ticket elsewhere asap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.