Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Gluten Intolerant Meal on international JAL (business or first class)??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

Has anyone had gluten intolerant meals on international JAL? I am looking specifically for business or first class between the U.S. and Japan, but welcome any feedback on the gluten free meals on JAL in general. Thanks!!

Gluten Intolerant Meal

Gluten Intolerant Meals are available for those customers who need to limit their intake of gluten, a substance found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. Gluten intolerant customers usually suffer from a condition know as Celiac disease.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Had the same question, so am bumping this thread. I'm flying in F SFO-HND. I'm not highly allergic to gluten (crumbs ok; bite of bread not). I know that I want to get a Japanese style meal. But I'm worried what I'll get if I request a gluten-intolerant meal. For example, I know that soy sauce has gluten, and I'm ok with that. Any recent examples/experiences with gluten-intolerant meals in F?
Old May 31, 2017, 6:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
Had the same question, so am bumping this thread. I'm flying in F SFO-HND. I'm not highly allergic to gluten (crumbs ok; bite of bread not). I know that I want to get a Japanese style meal. But I'm worried what I'll get if I request a gluten-intolerant meal. For example, I know that soy sauce has gluten, and I'm ok with that. Any recent examples/experiences with gluten-intolerant meals in F?
Don't think there's a Japanese option for gluten-intolerant meal. You can ask them to provide the menu.

Here are the menus for some other special meals for F and C to give you an idea (and so you won't expect too much): http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic...al/menu02.html

Last edited by JALPak; May 31, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 6:34 pm

Thanks JALPak!
Old May 31, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MeLike2Travel
i think rice and soba would be the safe stuff for you on the typical japanese menu. Many of the japanese marinades is a wheat product. Whilst soy sauce is ok for you, do you know what else at what quantity are you also ok?

(ok, and soba will be in soy sauce, but i think u can have it on plain water if ure ok w small amount of soy.)
Old May 31, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
The F/C minimal allergen meals linked by JALPak above appear to be the same as the ones served in PE/Y. My wife ordered them (she's not gluten intolerant strictly speaking, but finds that avoiding gluten & wheat helps her with an unrelated GI issue) and found them unappetizing to the point where she canceled the order for her return flight.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:08 am

Yeah, the minimal meals don't look/sound very good. I think I'll do the Japanese meal and then be careful what I eat. I have Crohn's Disease, and gluten is one of my trigger foods that cause a flare up.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 11:29 am

Any more recent updates Biz class Sfo-Tokyo gluten intolerant?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
i think rice and soba would be the safe stuff for you on the typical japanese menu. Many of the japanese marinades is a wheat product. Whilst soy sauce is ok for you, do you know what else at what quantity are you also ok?

(ok, and soba will be in soy sauce, but i think u can have it on plain water if ure ok w small amount of soy.)
This is poor advice - most soba has wheat flour in it, and you have to search out the 100% buckwheat kind and it’s unlikely to be that on JAL.
LapLap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.