Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JL confirms: JL to resume NRT-DFW service w/ 787-8 30 Nov 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Official Announcement: http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201508/003490.html
Microsite: http://www.ar.jal.com/arl/en/dfw/

Launch/Resumption Date: Nov 30 2015
Days of Operation: Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun *Daily service from Mar 20 2016

Aircraft: SS8

Schedule:
JL012/AA8478
NRT 10:55 - DFW 07:20

JL011/AA8481
DFW 11:45 - NRT 16:25+1

Campaigns:
Bonus Miles - http://www.jal.co.jp/en/121campaign/nrtdfw_bmile/
Print Wikipost

JL confirms: JL to resume NRT-DFW service w/ 787-8 30 Nov 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
JL considers resuming DFW service

In this morning's Nikkei. Article says that they may switch one of the two daily AA NRT flights to JL metal and that part of the motivation is the Toyota relocation from LAX.

Link (Japanese, subscription required)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 31, 2015 at 6:31 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:30 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
In this morning's Nikkei. Article says that they may switch one of the two daily AA NRT flights to JL metal and that part of the motivation is the Toyota relocation from LAX.

Link (Japanese, subscription required)
I told you so Those Toyota executives need a Japanese carrier

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24116037-post55.html
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:33 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Executives of Toyota don't need a Japanese carrier -- I'm sure they have access to private jets. A JL flight would be useful for employees (and executives of suppliers) and their families.

Obviously the connections to Central and South America from DFW are not insignificant, and there are many Japanese factories/offices in that part of the world.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Executives of Toyota don't need a Japanese carrier -- I'm sure they have access to private jets. A JL flight would be useful for employees (and executives of suppliers) and their families.

Obviously the connections to Central and South America from DFW are not insignificant, and there are many Japanese factories/offices in that part of the world.
I wasn't referring to C level ones

And yes, the connections to central and south america plus suppliers are cited as the reasons too

「(アメリカン航空の)中南米への便も豊富で自動車産業の進出が著しいメキシコへの乗り継ぎ拠点としても便 利だ」
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:49 pm

But if this happens, one group of people would certainly be not too happy about the transfer since they can't use their "grocery coupons" to upgrade on that flight
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:54 pm

I wonder though if American airlines would actually give up one of their flights though for this, usually their flights to tokyo are pretty darn packed. The only thing I could see them make a change for it is if they upgrade one of the planes to a 77W.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
In my limited experience, JL seems to fill its planes at significantly higher fare levels than AA does. Probably a factor of the massive difference in product quality between the two.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by brabb12
I wonder though if American airlines would actually give up one of their flights though for this, usually their flights to tokyo are pretty darn packed. The only thing I could see them make a change for it is if they upgrade one of the planes to a 77W.
They gave up all of JFK-TYO so sure they will LOL AA can use the 787 to launch MIA-NRT
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
They gave up all of JFK-TYO so sure they will LOL AA can use the 787 to launch MIA-NRT

The only main reason I could see them not giving it up, is because its their HQ.

JFK isn't much of a base for them, and they always struggled to fill the plane on their flight to Tokyo.

But I have seen the load factors for AA, and the flight is almost always full for both flights. Actually a good amount of time, it is oversold.

I think that would probably push the range of the 787 close to its max. since MIA to NRT is 7,424 miles. The max range is 7800 miles.

Also I think it would probably be JAL that would start that flight before American Airlines. American wants to start more flights to Asia from LAX.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:30 am

The only main reason I could see them not giving it up, is because its their HQ.

JFK isn't much of a base for them, and they always struggled to fill the plane on their flight to Tokyo.

But I have seen the load factors for AA, and the flight is almost always full for both flights. Actually a good amount of time, it is oversold.

I think that would probably push the range of the 787 close to its max. since MIA to NRT is 7,424 miles. The max range is 7800 miles.

Also I think it would probably be JAL that would start that flight before American Airlines. American wants to start more flights to Asia from LAX.
But didn't AA downsize the capacity on DFW-NRT with the 788 recently? At least that's what you told me And with the joint venture, it makes more sense for JL to operate it if it means higher yield. Might even get AA more profit depending on the complex formula they use to calculate how they share cost and profit.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
It would be pretty interesting if JL decided to make this flight out of HND, pending any dispersal of daytime US slots.

I'm sure there's pressure since NH is also beginning NRT-IAH this year.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
It would be pretty interesting if JL decided to make this flight out of HND, pending any dispersal of daytime US slots.

I'm sure there's pressure since NH is also beginning NRT-IAH this year.
If they started this flight, then I could see American dropping one flight, but I think it may be a little before they start a Haneda flight.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:22 pm

Pre-merger they claimed they were retaining F to Tokyo, so it's a possibility. Of course, the new management may think otherwise.

I do not believe AA has publicly announced plans to use a 787 to NRT.

MIA-NRT with a 787 was supposedly on AA's radar for a while, but I don't think the new management is as interested.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:26 pm

But didn't AA downsize the capacity on DFW-NRT with the 788 recently? At least that's what you told me And with the joint venture, it makes more sense for JL to operate it if it means higher yield. Might even get AA more profit depending on the complex formula they use to calculate how they share cost and profit.

No they sent the 787 for a test flight to narita from dallas .
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:59 pm

No they sent the 787 for a test flight to narita from dallas .
LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.