Old Feb 3, 15, 2:03 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by draerospace View Post
planning on a trip in July 15 , from YVR to NRT , it says JL17 with boeing 787

Is this the old neo seat ? thanks
yes
Old Feb 5, 15, 10:00 am

I am flying from HKG to NRT to YVR business class in March. I am pretty sure is the old angled seat I will be in. Just wondering, is it that uncomfortable? How about their food service (compare to Cathay for example).
Old Feb 6, 15, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by mmdough View Post
I am flying from HKG to NRT to YVR business class in March. I am pretty sure is the old angled seat I will be in. Just wondering, is it that uncomfortable? How about their food service (compare to Cathay for example).
I found that it's not that bad. I slept in it just fine, but I sleep easily on planes.

I think JL food is better than CX.
Old Feb 7, 15, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
So this is the angled seat - not the new lie flat, and definitely not the new skysuite?

I wonder if this route will ever get the skysuite service
Old Dec 31, 16, 1:27 am

Programs: Mostly a free agent nowadays: UA, LH, AA, DL; Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton; Amex Plat
2016/2017 update: I'm leaving UA loyalty and becoming a free agent on 1/1/17. My first-ever flight on JL will be YVR-NRT-BKK on 1/7-1/8 in paid J. Both are old cradle seats on the 787. Will do a trip report to let everyone know how it goes.
Old Jan 1, 17, 2:47 am

Programs: JL/Emerald, NH*G, DL/ElitePlus, HHonors G
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
So this is the angled seat - not the new lie flat, and definitely not the new skysuite?

I wonder if this route will ever get the skysuite service
I fly twice a year on this route, and I can say the NEO seats are acceptable for short naps, especially given the length of the flight. There is still no schedule for Sky suite upgrade, probably because JAL is not making money on this route to this overwhelmed Star Alliance city. However, JAL is offering FLYON status holder a 30000 miles campaign for Y > C upgrade RETURN, which is a deep discount, so I am nevertheless happy using it for my Whistler ski trip lol
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
I flew this a while back.

I personally did not find it to be very comfortable with the "slide".

It's a "once and done" type of situation in my books. My humble two cents...
Old Jan 3, 17, 12:37 am

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
it feels a little too slantty (if it has another 10degrees i'd be fine)... i remember it had to do with B787's delay and the subsequent change in biz seats ecology. actually it's not bad at all for a day flight, but it no longer can compete with flat seats.
Old Feb 16, 17, 6:37 pm

I wind up flying this at least one direction on my North Asia trips (usually evening flight home back to US) since I am PacNW based OneWorld flyer and flying through SFO or LAX for a JL flight means loads of backtracking. Due to scheduling constraints on my next trip I will take it both ways, the two consolations are (1) damn cheap fare (US$3200 to SIN w 2 day stopover in Tokyo on return) and (2) this route has gobs of award seats in business class because of the weak product and so I can bring my wife along rather last minute, getting seats on exact same flights as me for a not so bad pile of AA miles.

I find the Fri/Sat flights back from NRT to be nearly vacant upfront, usually get a pair of seats for eating and one pair for sleeping...
Old Feb 17, 17, 12:45 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, JL Diamond, SPG Gold
That's not so bad, still enough to sleep...
Old Feb 17, 17, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
My other half did this flight ex-YVR and found it very comfortable with excellent service and copious amounts of food. It's not a recliner seat, it is lie flat, just at an angle instead of 180 flat - but still very comfortable and a bargain given the price discounts.

JL operates the same aircraft ex-SAN, so one should compare pricing between the two for the best bargain.

While many of us turn up our noses at an angled lie flat seat, I do recall spending 13 hours in Continental's first-generation BusinessFirst recliner seat and thought it was the cat's meow at the time. I don't think we're all that picky are we?
Old Feb 18, 17, 1:52 pm

Having flown both I think the NEO seats are just fine. The newer seats are better (one would hope, otherwise what's the point?) and have much better privacy if flying single but I have a hard time complaining about great food and a slight angle.
Old Mar 2, 17, 7:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska MVP, Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold

While many of us turn up our noses at an angled lie flat seat, I do recall spending 13 hours in Continental's first-generation BusinessFirst recliner seat and thought it was the cat's meow at the time. I don't think we're all that picky are we?
Just picky compared to some of the other full offerings out there that can be had for the same price if redeeming miles on the right date. Personal preference but the full flat is important to me.
Old Mar 5, 17, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; SQ Silver; AC Silver
My other half did this flight ex-YVR and found it very comfortable with excellent service and copious amounts of food. It's not a recliner seat, it is lie flat, just at an angle instead of 180 flat - but still very comfortable and a bargain given the price discounts.
<...>
I am looking forward to flying this sector with my son in a few weeks! This being a day-time flight also means I won't be sleeping much.

Yeah, I have put up with crappy old LH (744) and LX (A332) J angle seats not that many years ago, so this will have to be better

Search this Thread