Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL Introduces Tumi Amenity Kits in Long Haul Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist

Finally! But the amenities seem to be lacking in fire power and why change it to a dull color/design next spring when the black and red looks gorgeous!? Inter-asia flights would still be in a basket selection...meh. Oh well, better having something than nothing at all!

Press Release in English --> http://press.jal.co.jp/en/release/201410/003097.html
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:05 am

What do you mean? What else do you need for a flight than what's in the kit? I expect the washroom has moisturizer.

I can just think potentially socks. But from experience, airline socks are so bad they may as well not give them. Slippers would be nice.

Amenity kits at some time morphed into "goodie" bags. Then they went downmarket, making them cheap goodie bags. It's great that they are reverting to solid amenity kits.

Last edited by bmchris; Oct 2, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
These look like the kits Delta has/had in C...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124192
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by abraxis
These look like the kits Delta has/had in C...

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=20295&item=124192
They are different.

Kits are a waste of money IMHO. Most items are intended for use inflight. You don't need a bag to carry them. I would rather have PJs provided instead.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by JALPak
Kits are a waste of money IMHO. Most items are intended for use inflight. You don't need a bag to carry them.
I've always wondered what the big fuss is over amenity kits. I agree: they are a waste. They should just make a selection of items normally found in kits available (on a bar or credenza for example) for passengers to take as needed. That would cut down on waste as each pax would just use what they need during the flight.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan
I've always wondered what the big fuss is over amenity kits. I agree: they are a waste. They should just make a selection of items normally found in kits available (on a bar or credenza for example) for passengers to take as needed. That would cut down on waste as each pax would just use what they need during the flight.
Before this, both Japanese carriers handed out items in a basket and apparently a lot of (award?) passengers complained about that
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I like EVA Air's Rimowa Amenity Kits. It's a hard shell case and very durable. I don't think much of it until I heard these kits become collectible. People actually sell Eva's Rimowa kit for $60.00 on EBay.

Tumi's amenity kit might get the similar status as Eva's Rimowa. I think JAL is probably following EVA (or Singapore's Givenchy bag) strategy.

Last edited by Bookexp; Oct 2, 2014 at 5:29 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

If there's anything extra you need, you can ask for it from the inflight catalog.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bookexp
I like EVA Air's Rimowa Amenity Kits. It's a hard shell case and very durable. I don't think much of it until I heard these kits become collectible. People actually sell Eva's Rimowa kit for $60.00 on EBay.

Tumi's amenity kit might get the similar status as Eva's Rimowa. I think JAL is probably following EVA (or Singapore's Givenchy bag) strategy.
No, JAL probably only offers it because ANA is offering it although JL's looks much nicer LOL
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I like the red/black combo. And TUMI too. Anyone want to snag me one, perhaps from a sleeping seatmate?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by JALPak
Kits are a waste of money IMHO. Most items are intended for use inflight. You don't need a bag to carry them. I would rather have PJs provided instead.
I agree. I work in a 5 star hotel and we place 10-12 amenity kits into our lost&found every day from departing rooms. People seem to take them with them off of the plane; but they don't keep them (or just keep the ones from their return flights).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have around 60 AA kits, 16 or other kits from other oneworld airlines, they make great stocking stuffers.. and yes most of them are still unopened... the PJ's that I have collected, well my wife likes them
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Why change the bag from the spring? Are they hoping people will fly more to get the different versions? (The Japanese fondness of new products?)
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:03 am

http://www.ausbt.com.au/japan-airlin...s-amenity-kits

I LOL when I read

you’ll also find a moisture mask to help refresh your skin during a long flight, plus a courtesy hygiene mask to wear if you’ve caught a cold
Has he not read the press release?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:40 pm

How does the moisture mask work? It looks like it's shaped like a mouth mask.

I was thinking a moisture mask in the shape of an oval with eye and mouth cut outs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.