Need same last name to book award ticket?

Old Jul 31, 14, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Need same last name to book award ticket?

I'm looking to book a SIN-USM award ticket since they have the 5,000 mile special going on.

http://hackmytrip.com/2014/03/using-...rways-via-jal/

The blog above states that you need to have the same surname if you are going to book for someone else. I tried to google this and have not found much. I will be transferring in 10,000 points from my SPG account to cover the cost of two tickets. So if I want to book a second ticket for my girlfriend how do the rules apply to this situation?
Old Jul 31, 14, 9:35 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I'm looking to book a SIN-USM award ticket since they have the 5,000 mile special going on.

http://hackmytrip.com/2014/03/using-...rways-via-jal/

The blog above states that you need to have the same surname if you are going to book for someone else. I tried to google this and have not found much. I will be transferring in 10,000 points from my SPG account to cover the cost of two tickets. So if I want to book a second ticket for my girlfriend how do the rules apply to this situation?
That website is wrong if it says same surname is required. Members can redeem for himself/herself, the spouse and relatives within the second degree of kinship. Unfortunately, your girlfriend is not included. You will need to transfer 5,000 miles to her own account and make the booking separately if you want to avoid potential issues.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/awards.html
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
That website is wrong if it says same surname is required. Members can redeem for himself/herself, the spouse and relatives within the second degree of kinship. Unfortunately, your girlfriend is not included. You will need to transfer 5,000 miles to her own account and make the booking separately if you want to avoid potential issues.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/awards.html
How do they enforce this? Is this booking for family members using your own points? Do they just take your word for it that it's your cousin or spouse that did not take your last name?

Just curious
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:46 am

How do they enforce this? Is this booking for family members using your own points? Do they just take your word for it that it's your cousin or spouse that did not take your last name?

Just curious
They reserve the rights to ask you for proofs and I heard they have done that before.
Old Aug 1, 14, 4:43 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, SQ*S, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
Just say she is your fiancée.... make sure your GF doesn't hear that though!
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by ssw207 View Post
Just say she is your fiancée.... make sure your GF doesn't hear that though!
Marry her. This very weekend!

(Fiancée is not enough!)

Old Aug 1, 14, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

(Fiancée is not enough!)

Anyone have trouble getting a ticket for a "spouse" that has a different last name?
Old Aug 1, 14, 2:52 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

(Fiancée is not enough!)

How about refer to her "spouse of brother in-law"? (your spouse's brother's wife)
Old Aug 1, 14, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
How about refer to her "spouse of brother in-law"? (your spouse's brother's wife)
How about [moderator edit: just getting] her 5000 miles so she can redeem herself

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 11, 18 at 11:52 pm Reason: To comply with FT Rule 12.
Old Aug 1, 14, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
How about just getting her 5000 miles so she can redeem herself
The only way to transfer in miles that I know of so far is SPG. You cannot transfer the miles from your SPG account to someone else's JAL account.

I don't see the point of not allowing someone to book a ticket for someone else. Is this because they do not want someone booking another person's ticket or is it because they do not want you to use your miles on someone other than a family member?

I don't think I've located any posts of people being denied this except for on a blog. Does this happen often? Is it a published rule?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 11, 18 at 11:55 pm Reason: conforming moderator edit to quoted post.
Old Aug 1, 14, 6:47 pm

The only way to transfer in miles that I know of so far is SPG. You cannot transfer the miles from your SPG account to someone else's JAL account.

I don't see the point of not allowing someone to book a ticket for someone else. Is this because they do not want someone booking another person's ticket or is it because they do not want you to use your miles on someone other than a family member?

I don't think I've located any posts of people being denied this except for on a blog. Does this happen often? Is it a published rule?
You can transfer SPG points to someone else's SPG account first.

Whether there's a point of not allowing you to redeem award to non family members, if you want to redeem a JMB award, you have to follow the rules. Rules are clear, it's up to you if you want to risk it.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:17 pm

Did you happen to try to book for your girlfriend? Thinking about trying the same thing since I transferred miles to my mileagebank account before reading fully!
Old Jan 7, 18, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I did book and they sent an email that they will not ticket until we show proof. Stupid by I figured a way around it 😉
kaka likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam View Post
my spouse of brother in-law was not checked in singapore last time.
Old Jan 15, 18, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.

A published rule to guard against people selling award reservations in the vibrant Japanese ticket reseller market.
(To prevent mileage rich Japanese salarymen with heavy work travel from selling award seats openly and widely on YahooAuction etc.)
kaka likes this.

Search this Thread