Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Migration date: Nov 16 2017

Handling Procedure Changes: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss/dom/
  • Domestic ticket/awards will be valid for 1 year from the day after issuance date
  • Single 6 alphanumeric PNR will be used for entire itinerary instead of 4 digit PNR for each sector on domestic flights
  • No longer allows separation payments of Y and Class J/Domestic F upgrade fees
  • Credit card number will no longer be accepted as authentication method
  • Fares eligible for waitlisting will be reduced but deadline will be extended from T-48 to T-24
  • Can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic awards
  • ePoints will be refundable on awards and can specify the amount allocated on multiple passengers instead of splitting them equally
  • Some other ePoints enhancements on award tax/fee payments, JALPAK package payment will be refundable, etc

A lot more changes coming e.g. surface sector won't be included in total mileage calculation for award redemption: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/jmb/inter.html

Upcoming system outages and OLCI suspensions/changes: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/maintenance/?inbound=ar
Print Wikipost

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
So JGC Sapphire is lower than JMB Sapphire? That's kinda weird.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by lcpteck
So JGC Sapphire is lower than JMB Sapphire? That's kinda weird.
I guess that would be based on those only having their Sapphire from JGC, and those having the qualifying miles as well.. Seems only fair....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I guess that would be based on those only having their Sapphire from JGC, and those having the qualifying miles as well.. Seems only fair....
yea but the confusing part is your status is actually JGC Sapphire. They should have better names to distinguish them. I think putting JGC and JGC Crystal are better than using JGC Sapphire for those who are short of making JMB Sapphire. With the on going migration, this is going to confuse a hell lot of people and they may think they got downgraded to just Sapphire

They should also start displaying the 5* status too, so JGC Sapphire *** is >>> JGC Sapphire
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

My sapphire only colleague got JGC tags going to Ho Chi Minh City the other day. So there maybe is a bit of a mess up.
first of all what was he thinking? Is he trying to save the annual fee by not joining JGC?

i wonder if this is because the check in agent now can’t really tell whether you are only Sapphire vs JGC Sapphire because both will show JMGM as their status after the migration. If true, this is a nice “enhancement” for the JMB Sapphires who aren’t JGC (probably not that many out there )
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

first of all what was he thinking? Is he trying to save the annual fee by not joining JGC?

i wonder if this is because the check in agent now can’t really tell whether you are only Sapphire vs JGC Sapphire because both will show JMGM as their status after the migration. If true, this is a nice “enhancement” for the JMB Sapphires who aren’t JGC (probably not that many out there )
You would think with JM plus two letters that they would have enough combinations to separate them....

Diamond is now JMLM on the international boarding passes.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

You would think with JM plus two letters that they would have enough combinations to separate them....

Diamond is now JMLM on the international boarding passes.
Are they reserving JCLM to those who didn’t qualify by FOPs again? E.g. spouse gifting? But how about 5*? If 5* is lower than JMLM that would be messed up!

@Goosh, have you requalified as Diamond this year? If not, next time you fly with JL internationally from a migrated airport, can you check your boarding pass status for us to see what your status notation is now please? You are the only 5* member I am aware of
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by JALPak

yea but the confusing part is your status is actually JGC Sapphire. They should have better names to distinguish them. I think putting JGC and JGC Crystal are better than using JGC Sapphire for those who are short of making JMB Sapphire. With the on going migration, this is going to confuse a hell lot of people and they may think they got downgraded to just Sapphire

They should also start displaying the 5* status too, so JGC Sapphire *** is >>> JGC Sapphire
I guess it can get confusing lol. Maybe they should have changed the naming to JGC Blue or something hehe.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
A couple days ago I booked a domestic flight but never received the order number after paying. Not sure if it's related to the migration.

I was able to check-in fine with my passport (I was worried since the website seemed to say that I absolutely needed the order number but that it was not an issue)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: JGC - 1 star
Dear fellow JAL travellers,

I have in the past been very satisfied with JAL and have recommended them to a lot of friends. I have also always expressed my satisfaction around here.
However, since the migration, booking JAL flights has become a very frustrating experience.

-Being based in Belgiumn we lost the option of booking the ZYR-CDG-HND flights.
-The upgradable economy fares are no longer selectable online, which implies that we have to call the call center and pay the service fee to book through it.
-I'm on hold with their customer service in the UK right now since 45 minutes, no answer, just the machine repeating to hold the line or call later.
-Fares have gone up significantly, except if booked through dodgy OTA's which charge high fees in case of changes or cancellations. JAL is forcing people to book through OTA's and codeshare partners instead of promoting direct bookings.

I'm still committed to continuing to fly JAL but would like to see these issues resolved asap.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flanker2
-The upgradable economy fares are no longer selectable online, which implies that we have to call the call center and pay the service fee to book through it.
I thought you switched to NH with direct flight which you kept saying that's what you need. Anyway upgradable fares can be selected online.

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:32 am

Thank you Jalpak, I didn't see that.
So indeed, this opens up a window where I can choose an upgradeable fare, but can only combine with a return on standard fare. I don't undestand why they put this separetely, befoe it used to be on the same page.

Yes, NH was being considered but there are several issues with NH:
1. Their fares on BRU-NRT-BRU are too high. You are lucky if you can find anything at less than double of 1-stop fares.
2. Flight timing isn't too good. Need a morning departure from BRU, morning arrival in Japan.
3. It's more convenient to use JL to fly to HND than having to take a train from NRT. Customs and border control is also more efficient at HND.
4. The 9-abreast experience on NH's B787 is not too good and the food is rather poor. Overall poor value.

We can't see through JMB login whether there are seats available for upgrades until after the ticket is booked, so we need to call and ask if there is upgrade availability.
In this respect, JL not answering calls is not good at all.

I gave up after calling them twice today and holding for 45 min and 35 minutes respectively, without an operator picking up.
I'll try again and if they don't pick up, I'll give up on the upgrade and go for the cheapest OTA.

Everytime I call London, I seem to be getting one of three ladies. Not many people working there it seems.

It's an international airline, for god's sake they should have a call center open 24 hours a day, at least in Tokyo.
When London is closed, forward to Tokyo.

Last edited by Flanker2; Dec 20, 2017 at 10:40 am
Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:23 pm

Indeed the new system is frustrating.
I even booked AA two times already because JAL site is a mess.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Indeed the new system is frustrating.
I even booked AA two times already because JAL site is a mess.
What kind of mess?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:13 am

I just booked two returns with JL, one for my mother (upgraded to J and Q reutrn for me) BRU-TYO.
I used the upgrade awards online for the first time and it went smoothly.
The JGC's without status can't choose exit row seats in Y on long haul flights whereas my mother who is a JMB Crystal can.
I also confirm that it's no longer possible to combine an upgradeable Y fare with an economy special fare, as they display on different pages, but you can choose economy standad fares instead and cash in more miles.
Choosing seats on codeshres still entails some glitches or limitations, but it's not so bad.

I wish that JL would allow us to see how many J seats are available for upgrading on a given flight.
It's not ideal to have to call each time to check upgrade availability.

I would also wish that JL would be more reasonable with airport upgrades.
40.000 miles to upgrade from Y to Y+ one-way? That's crazy.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Flanker2
I would also wish that JL would be more reasonable with airport upgrades.
40.000 miles to upgrade from Y to Y+ one-way? That's crazy.
Where did you get this information, and which route ?
According to web page JAL International Upgrade Awards Chart - JAL Mileage Bank

Japan - Europe one way upgrade from economy to premium economy requires 20,000 miles.
When the airport upgrade discount promotion is applied, it is 15,000 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.