Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JALPak
Migration date: Nov 16 2017

Handling Procedure Changes: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss/dom/
  • Domestic ticket/awards will be valid for 1 year from the day after issuance date
  • Single 6 alphanumeric PNR will be used for entire itinerary instead of 4 digit PNR for each sector on domestic flights
  • No longer allows separation payments of Y and Class J/Domestic F upgrade fees
  • Credit card number will no longer be accepted as authentication method
  • Fares eligible for waitlisting will be reduced but deadline will be extended from T-48 to T-24
  • Can no longer change to an earlier flight when flying on domestic awards
  • ePoints will be refundable on awards and can specify the amount allocated on multiple passengers instead of splitting them equally
  • Some other ePoints enhancements on award tax/fee payments, JALPAK package payment will be refundable, etc

A lot more changes coming e.g. surface sector won't be included in total mileage calculation for award redemption: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/jmb/inter.html

Upcoming system outages and OLCI suspensions/changes: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss_world/maintenance/?inbound=ar
Print Wikipost

JAL will be migrating to Amadeus on Nov 16, 2017

Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Aegan Gold, British Airways Bronze
I had a few award flights booked through Asia Miles and all my seat selections disappeared.
Luckily I got better seats so it's not too bad
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: MPC Gold
Hi,

I'm sorry if this was brought up in a previous post but I have an upcoming flight out of MNL on Nov. 28 and it seems I won't to do online check-in. However, JAL's website mentions that online check-in is automatically done while their system is being upgraded. Is that really the case ?

I just want to know how much lead time I need to go to the airport and physically check-in my luggage.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 24, 2017, 1:13 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dmatthew
Hi,

I'm sorry if this was brought up in a previous post but I have an upcoming flight out of MNL on Nov. 28 and it seems I won't to do online check-in. However, JAL's website mentions that online check-in is automatically done while their system is being upgraded. Is that really the case ?

I just want to know how much lead time I need to go to the airport and physically check-in my luggage.

Thanks in advance!
OLCI for MNL is suspended till Dec 11.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Lots of systems are down. JAL now puts a notice of "Currently unavailable services" on its website/migration page.

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/pss/maintenance/

There are problems like phantom availabilities, can't book codeshare flights, etc
Old Nov 24, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: MPC Gold
Thanks @JALPak ! Will just head to the airport earlier in order to ensure we can choose a semi-good seat.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Seat selection works now and seats are indeed horked. Google Voice has trouble calling JAL Japan and not sure I'll be awake for JAL US. Or that it's worth it to call in at all. Short flight from ITM to HND (and wife still has a window Fuji side) and will try for PE upgrade at the airport on the long haul regardless.
Ended up with two aisles behind one another ITM-HND. Was able to purchase HND-SFO PE upgrade at ITM (took about 50 minutes!) but without seats together & had to pick up boarding passes at HND. Asked at HND check-in counter and again at the gate, both times no seats together. Paged up shortly before boarding and handed new boarding pass next to my wife in 21A & C (best PE seats imo).

Seat maps: domestic JAL flights still seems to be showing assigned seats as blocked in ExpertFlyer even under Amadeus. Long haul appears to be more accurate than what some agents see. Open seat in EF showed unavailable to the ITM agent but calling to HND for the seat assignments turned out it was open after all.

Last edited by rustykettel; Nov 25, 2017 at 3:56 am
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

JAL has finally fixed the manage bookings function and now I can pull up my bookings using my JMB number
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by JALPak
JAL has finally fixed the manage bookings function and now I can pull up my bookings using my JMB number
^
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Unfortunately, one of my domestic bookings as a non-JMB member can't be retrived yet.
JAL booking agent confirmed system error, and told me they would fix by mid-December.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
They put on a crappy ssIII for nrt hkg and randomly assigned seats. So a owe and a jgc sapphire is sat front-back. ...?
and the jl f checkin did not relay the message for seatswap.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Now almost everything works on JL website for me. But checkmytrip still doesn't correctly display my trips. the trips will show up when I added the PNR but then once I add other side trips, it can't display my JL bookings correctly anymore. The origin and destination will show the correct JL trip info but once I clicked into it, it just displayed my CX side trip there. So Amadeus seems to have problems handling my JL bookings. So looks like a lot of migration problems could actually be caused by the poor Amadeus system.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:24 pm

Now almost everything works on JL website for me. But checkmytrip still doesn't correctly display my trips. the trips will show up when I added the PNR but then once I add other side trips, it can't display my JL bookings correctly anymore. The origin and destination will show the correct JL trip info but once I clicked into it, it just displayed my CX side trip there. So Amadeus seems to have problems handling my JL bookings. So looks like a lot of migration problems could actually be caused by the poor Amadeus system.
Strangely it is used by most of the global airlines around the world now...only a handful of international airlines still uses Sabre

What's the reason for many airlines choosing Amadeus than Sabre or the others?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALlover
Strangely it is used by most of the global airlines around the world now...only a handful of international airlines still uses Sabre

What's the reason for many airlines choosing Amadeus than Sabre or the others?
I don't know why.

But I suspect Yokoso, W2J, JEP, etc are cause of a lot of these issues. When this is migrated, they added the 2 linked international flights to the Yokoso record as well. Not sure if other airlines are doing this...anyone know the dark side issues the Yokoso equivalent?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I don't know why.

But I suspect Yokoso, W2J, JEP, etc are cause of a lot of these issues. When this is migrated, they added the 2 linked international flights to the Yokoso record as well. Not sure if other airlines are doing this...anyone know the dark side issues the Yokoso equivalent?
no, only ExJ. (no changes allowed)
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

So I just did OLCI for my first flight which is AA coded and AA actually check-in for my connecting flight for me too which is JL coded. But when I went to JL website, it says OLCI has been suspended for my flight LOL So sad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.